Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender 90 Service Rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 08:14 AM
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Defender 90 Service Rant

Booked my 2022 90 for the crankcase ventilation recall. Had to wait six weeks for appointment. Didn't ask for a loaner as not needed.
The day prior to the appointment, service called. Cancelled appointment as they "don't have the recall parts".
Told them I wanted to still bring it in as a rear speaker rattle is driving me nuts.

The vehicle has now been there NINE days; Hasn't been looked at yet. They can give me no idea as to when a tech will even look at the car. They scheduled me for the service recall in DECEMBER.

Have a new Range Rover on order. Dealership shouldn't sell these cars if they cannot service them. Worrying and unsure about the Range Rover order now.

The following 2 users liked this post by cookjw:
GrouseK9 (08-15-2022), XCELLER8 (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 09:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 228 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by cookjw
Booked my 2022 90 for the crankcase ventilation recall. Had to wait six weeks for appointment. Didn't ask for a loaner as not needed.
The day prior to the appointment, service called. Cancelled appointment as they "don't have the recall parts".
Told them I wanted to still bring it in as a rear speaker rattle is driving me nuts.

The vehicle has now been there NINE days; Hasn't been looked at yet. They can give me no idea as to when a tech will even look at the car. They scheduled me for the service recall in DECEMBER.

Have a new Range Rover on order. Dealership shouldn't sell these cars if they cannot service them. Worrying and unsure about the Range Rover order now.
When you buy one of these the dealership experience is a big deal IMO. So if your dealership isn't so good in your locale I would definitely be thinking twice about buying something from them especially for the second time. These are very stylish vehicles but if you don't have a lot of time on your hands to screw around with warranty repairs then I would move on to another brand. I'm personally moving on and my dealer isn't bad (so far), I just don't have time to go back and forth to get multiple issues fixed. In 14 months of ownership I've had six different problems. Two have been fixed so far. Nothing to strand me anywhere but for this much money it's kind of hard to justify coming back for seconds anytime soon. Your call.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (08-15-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm sure there are exceptions but terrible service with this brand seems to be the rule.

Elektrapops (08-14-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 08:56 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cookjw

I would look for another dealer. I made my appointment fur the recall and had the oil changed. Mine has 5500 miles on it. The whole process took 90 minutes and I got a loaner car. Dealers matter.

Royalist (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 10:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Since we're rant/venting, sounds like service sucks everywhere. I live in New Orleans and have a 2021 P300 110 with about 33k miles on it to date. People are nice at Land Rover of New Orleans, but actual service is terrible. Did a lot of driving this summer, Los Angeles, Big Bend, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Cincy, Chicago, and Green Bay, we're home for a while, so first week of August I emailed my service rep and called several times to schedule oil change, tire rotation and installation of pre-paid replacement windshield. Never got a return call or email. Check engine light came on 8/8, so on 8/9 I drove to the dealership, my advisor wasn't there, so I talk to another guy, 1st available appointment 11/19!! They tell me solid yellow means emissions, so it's good to drive, but if it starts running really rough, bring it in. Why so it can sit there 2 months?

Good news ( I guess) is that LR-NO doesn't do glass replacement in house, its subcontracted, and the installer comes to your house so it's not even done at the dealership. They give me the subs number, ask me to go to parts to make sure the windshield is there, then call the sub. Parts guy looks at computer and tells me you ordered it on May 8, but it hasn't arrived yet, it's scheduled to arrive on September 15. I can't see the screen, but tell him I got a text saying the windshield came in on May 17, while I was in LA. He presses some more keys, points to something on the screen I can't see, and says, "nope, it's not there." So I leave pretty pissed off. Pull into a parking lot, call Land Rover of Baton Rouge and they have an appointment for 8/18, I book it.

Driving it up Thursday. Didn't really want to go there because I'm pretty sure they lost my lug nut lock key at my first oil change tire rotation, which I discovered when I had a flat and couldn't change the tire. To be fair, when I bought new tires from LR-NO before my summer vacation, the flat tire was on the rear in the spare position, and the brand new spare was on passenger rear. When I got the car back, the flat was still in the spare position (LOL) and they'd already thrown away the barely used spare. So they patch the spare so I can go on vacation. That's really odd, because when I brought the car in for them to change the tire (they had the only lug nut key in town that fit) they told me they didn't patch tires --- which is why I bought new ones.

Anyway, while driving home I get a call from my service advisor who tells me that I prepaid for the glass and it's actually there (no explanation for the service guys lies). So I call the sub, and miraculously they can do it 8/15, but they tell me -- since I prepaid for the glass -- they can't transport it to my house for install because of liability issues. So it has to be done at the dealership (which is what I wanted anyway). So I'm sitting here while the glass installer does his thing.

After I set the glass replacement was scheduled I called a speciality shop to have ExoShield GT3 glass protection film installed. Miraculously, they can do it tomorrow, so I take it in Tuesday morning, they keep it over night, I get it back Wednesday, then drive it to Baton Rouge Thursday morning.

It's absurd.

But I really love driving this car. In 33k miles I've had the obligatory cracked windshield (which started as 2 small chips, one at the bottom left, one at top right, the have climbed and descended into huge cracks that are about 5 inches from meeting in the center), one flat tire, and one check engine light. The car has been awesome.

The following 2 users liked this post by brydup:
angelboing (08-20-2022), Royalist (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 10:59 AM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by brydup
Since we're rant/venting, sounds like service sucks everywhere. I live in New Orleans and have a 2021 P300 110 with about 33k miles on it to date. People are nice at Land Rover of New Orleans, but actual service is terrible. Did a lot of driving this summer, Los Angeles, Big Bend, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Cincy, Chicago, and Green Bay, we're home for a while, so first week of August I emailed my service rep and called several times to schedule oil change, tire rotation and installation of pre-paid replacement windshield. Never got a return call or email. Check engine light came on 8/8, so on 8/9 I drove to the dealership, my advisor wasn't there, so I talk to another guy, 1st available appointment 11/19!! They tell me solid yellow means emissions, so it's good to drive, but if it starts running really rough, bring it in. Why so it can sit there 2 months?

Good news ( I guess) is that LR-NO doesn't do glass replacement in house, its subcontracted, and the installer comes to your house so it's not even done at the dealership. They give me the subs number, ask me to go to parts to make sure the windshield is there, then call the sub. Parts guy looks at computer and tells me you ordered it on May 8, but it hasn't arrived yet, it's scheduled to arrive on September 15. I can't see the screen, but tell him I got a text saying the windshield came in on May 17, while I was in LA. He presses some more keys, points to something on the screen I can't see, and says, "nope, it's not there." So I leave pretty pissed off. Pull into a parking lot, call Land Rover of Baton Rouge and they have an appointment for 8/18, I book it.

Driving it up Thursday. Didn't really want to go there because I'm pretty sure they lost my lug nut lock key at my first oil change tire rotation, which I discovered when I had a flat and couldn't change the tire. To be fair, when I bought new tires from LR-NO before my summer vacation, the flat tire was on the rear in the spare position, and the brand new spare was on passenger rear. When I got the car back, the flat was still in the spare position (LOL) and they'd already thrown away the barely used spare. So they patch the spare so I can go on vacation. That's really odd, because when I brought the car in for them to change the tire (they had the only lug nut key in town that fit) they told me they didn't patch tires --- which is why I bought new ones.

Anyway, while driving home I get a call from my service advisor who tells me that I prepaid for the glass and it's actually there (no explanation for the service guys lies). So I call the sub, and miraculously they can do it 8/15, but they tell me -- since I prepaid for the glass -- they can't transport it to my house for install because of liability issues. So it has to be done at the dealership (which is what I wanted anyway). So I'm sitting here while the glass installer does his thing.

After I set the glass replacement was scheduled I called a speciality shop to have ExoShield GT3 glass protection film installed. Miraculously, they can do it tomorrow, so I take it in Tuesday morning, they keep it over night, I get it back Wednesday, then drive it to Baton Rouge Thursday morning.

It's absurd.

But I really love driving this car. In 33k miles I've had the obligatory cracked windshield (which started as 2 small chips, one at the bottom left, one at top right, the have climbed and descended into huge cracks that are about 5 inches from meeting in the center), one flat tire, and one check engine light. The car has been awesome.
Wow never heard of ExoShield GT3, any idea how good it is at protecting from cracks? Does it effect visibility?

Old 08-15-2022, 11:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

> "Wow never heard of ExoShield GT3, any idea how good it is at protecting from cracks? Does it effect visibility?"

Don't know if it will work on Defender, but something has to be better than nothing. I just want to make sure the film is installed near the bottom and top edges of the windshield. My old windshield had 3 small dings (one the day I got it on the drive home from the dealership) in the center, they were immediately repaired and never spread. But the impact dings at the driver side bottom (near the wiper motor) and passenger side top (near the pillar) spread into 3-5 inch long cracks, seconds after the impact. Hoping some film in those areas will prevent the spreading cracks. Will report back re: visibility etc., after it's installed.

I have Tesla driving friend who swears by windshield film and hood wraps to protect his cars. He recommended this installer/product and showed me a video where a guy tested a couple of films by shooting a pellet gun at a previously cracked windshield after installing the film on 2/3s. The projectile penetrated the film sides and left a visible mark about the size of a BB on the glass, the non-filmed side had a nickel-sized impact crack. But when they took the film off, it turned out the BB-sized marks weren't cracks in the glass, it was film adhesive that got stuck to the glass where the pellet hit the windshield, it rubbed right off. No crack. So I'm hopeful.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:26 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe they could do a better job of updating you, but what else can they do? Parts supply isn't something they have control over. There's also a massive technician shortage that's affecting the entire country. There's a dealer near me (not JLR) that has a daily backlog of over 100 vehicles. There are a few reasons for this, and some are out of the dealer's control. I'm a tech at a dealer and have been for a long time, not JLR, we already paid towards the top of industry standard, but we recently went through and gave everyone a 25% raise. We still are having a hell of a time finding techs.

Parts for recalls are just trickling in a few at a time every few weeks if we're lucky. There's nothing we can do about it. Some parts of the world, where a lot of manufacturing takes place, still have lockdowns regularly on top of the backlog that built up during the last two years. More still, they all have problems finding workers like most employers in the US.

Your dealer's employees are likely working their asses off, have been for a while, and are feeling pretty burnt out. You're more than welcome to help them out by taking your rattle complaint to another dealer. No tech likes doing rattles, and they don't pay **** under warranty, so I promise you they won't mind.

MERCTwister (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 07:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,151 Likes on 621 Posts

Name the dealer. That's poor.

Royalist (08-18-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 09:19 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

related question: wife took her '22 defender due to a software update getting corrupted and it locked up her infotainment screen. while there it was decided to do an oil change, and resulted in a $500+ bill with an additional $80 for an ethanol kit. Is this normal? And are oil changes on these things something I can't do myself at home? Not that I expect a "$30 Jiffy Lube special" but was startled the invoice.

Quick Reply: Defender 90 Service Rant