2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender 90 vs. Bronco 2 door

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 10:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

I saw my first 90 yesterday in person and it looked like a full-size Lego toy. Very basic and very bland. The opposite of rugged manly. But, that is what distinguishes it from all else and that is why people buy them, they want to stand out. Mission accomplished JLR.

The Bronco will compete with Jeep Wrangler and compete it will. Glad there is now something out to compete with the Wrangler. I've said before, they appeal to different types of people. The comfort of the Defender appeals to the wealthy who want to "off-road" on plush leather seats with a soft ride, quiet cabin and great creature comforts while drinking The Glenlivet. The Bronco owners want a utilitarian buggy that can be washed out with a hose when you spill your Bud Light while mudding through old forest roads with the doors off...knowing that some dude isn't going to wave at you when he goes to pass.

To each his own!

Old 10-21-2021, 10:38 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW IMO the new Defender could be my only bar. The Bronco or a Jeep (probably) could not.

The following 2 users liked this post by mcurtis137:
D90Hope (10-21-2021), _Allegedly (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Those of you replying to my thread missed the point — I was specifically responding to Heliochrome’s assertion that “…that market is incredibly small.” There may be (and no doubt are) many reasons JLR decided to not play in the former Defender’s market, but the market being “incredibly small” isn’t one of them. Consistently selling 200,000 units a year in the US alone, just for Wranglers, and during a time when Toyota was getting a chunk with the FJ Cruiser, not to mention the various hardcore versions of Forerunner, is a pipe dream for JLR. In fact, they were happily playing in the US market with the Defender 90 back when Jeep was only selling 60-80,000 units a year.

And posting “Jeep Compass” sales woes doesn’t have anything — I mean anything — to do with Wrangler’s volume and profitability. That’s like tying Defender to the Velar’s sales.

Cheers!
I hear you. It's true.

I'm only narrowly seeing it from an underperforming portfolio perspective and trying to figure out where they go as a brand.

They remind me a lot of Circuit City. Best Buy came along and the competition made the pie so much bigger that both companies actually did better in shared markets. For a while...

CC was frenetically trying to fix their internal issues and their rapid, unchecked, erratic change did them in. Too much chaos trying to figure out who they were and how they should deal with the underperforming legacy parts that weighed on their profits. They lost focus on what mattered.

If you were to take the 10 best CEO's on the planet and put them in a room to discuss Jeep, I feel like there would be a common theme without a lot of consensus on how to go forward. It's not just new competitors. Add the challenge of electrification in the toughest category (off-road) and they need to make perfect decisions for a while. Do they have that leadership?

Can't help but think Jeep is going to meet Jesus in the next few years as an also-ran in a new golden age of off-road offerings, free money, and more active lifestyle vacations and road trips. They'll survive but they might not look the same when it's over.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:07 PM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

I disagree completely. I have a black 2 door badlands with the optional wheels and high package on order and I am a hour 1 reservist. I finally got to see one in the metal back in July and I thought it looked like a cartoon. The one I saw was sasquatched, but still, it looked comical. Then I sat in it and it just felt cheap. Around the same time I started seeing Defender 90's in the wild, and every time I would see one, I would like it more and more. I finally went and test drove one and placed my order immediately. I think the D90 looks much better in person and the Bronco looks much better in pictures. The bronco is a purpose built truck, and thats great. It fulfills a lot of the off roaders needs and having options is always a good thing for consumers. Is the Bronco and Defender customer the same? Were they ever?

Old 10-21-2021, 12:13 PM
Mudding

The opposite of rugged manly.

LOL... How do you reconcile the above with "
when you spill your Bud Light "

The Bronco could be "I get my hands dirty for a living" while the Defender reads "Where's the Centurian lounge?"

The following 2 users liked this post by Xploit:
Muppetry (10-21-2021), _Allegedly (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 03:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Argue amongst yourselves.
Well, you can't say I didn't see this coming 🙃

The following users liked this post:
Muppetry (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 03:45 PM
Mudding

man is driven in total by his insecurities..

Old 10-21-2021, 04:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took a Bronco test ride at a Ford event today. No comparison between the two as far as interior. The Ford interior is very low level considering this one was a Badlands and therefor decently upgraded. The capability was good, but the interior was a let down.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Xploit
I disagree completely. I have a black 2 door badlands with the optional wheels and high package on order and I am a hour 1 reservist. I finally got to see one in the metal back in July and I thought it looked like a cartoon. The one I saw was sasquatched, but still, it looked comical. Then I sat in it and it just felt cheap. Around the same time I started seeing Defender 90's in the wild, and every time I would see one, I would like it more and more. I finally went and test drove one and placed my order immediately. I think the D90 looks much better in person and the Bronco looks much better in pictures. The bronco is a purpose built truck, and thats great. It fulfills a lot of the off roaders needs and having options is always a good thing for consumers. Is the Bronco and Defender customer the same? Were they ever?
I'm 100% with you on this. I made this mistake of taking my fiancee with me to see the Bronco as well back in July. At that time they only had Velocity Blue and Red, which didn't help. We both walked out thinking the same thing.. the Bronco is a toy. Simple as that. The driving position is nowhere near as commanding as I had expected and the interior is cheap, cheap, cheap and very cramped for the size of the truck. Although I guess it does have slightly more cargo space, Ford did a terrible job with the interior from layout to materials to spacing. That bing said, it seems cheap plastic is exactly what a significant percentage of Bronco customer want. A well spec'd Defender absolutely looks and feels like a beast in real life and there is no comparison when if comes to comfort and ride quality. Do I still want a Bronco? Yeah, but I no longer want the highly equipped model with all the features I had ordered. When my time comes to reup my order in 2023, t will be going as basic as I can go.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:16 AM
Mudding

At the end of the day, both vehicles are going to make plenty of people happy.

The following users liked this post:
Juancl (10-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Defender 90 vs. Bronco 2 door