2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender becoming it's own brand, Land Rover phased out

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 06:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

what does this entail? The Tesla model? It would be a crying shame for the few really well run family owned Land Rover dealerships. The ones in Huntsville and Mobile are fantastic.

Old 04-20-2023, 06:29 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

I don’t really understand why they would even talk openly about retiring ‘Land Rover’ as a brand but not ‘Jaguar’

maybe its just my US perspective but land rover is a much more recognizable brand than jaguar

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (04-21-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 07:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by cru_jones
what does this entail? The Tesla model? It would be a crying shame for the few really well run family owned Land Rover dealerships. The ones in Huntsville and Mobile are fantastic.
UK only. Too many laws against it in the US.

Old 04-21-2023, 06:46 AM
Mudding
Received 138 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cru_jones
I was in Huntsville last weekend and saw a Pangea 110 with white roof, ladder, lunchbox parked at the Space & Rocket Center. Any chance that was you?

Old 04-21-2023, 07:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Isn't this exactly what Jeep did? Distance itself so far from the Chrysler brand that most people don't know it's a Chrysler product. I asked my wife which American car company makes Jeep and she said Jeep's it's own brand. My kid is 22 and thinks Dodge is a car manufacturer, had never heard of the Plymouth, and guessed that Dodge makes the Chrysler 3000, but wasn't sure. Some of us remember that Chrysler is a manufacturer and that Dodge was its mid-priced brand, above the entry level Plymouth. No way Chrysler could market the Dart or new Hornet as entry level muscle cars without the Dodge name linking it to the Charger. The Chrysler "brand" still exists, but only sells mini-vans and the horrible Chrysler 300.

Maybe it's also a response to Grenadier, which no one calls "Ineos Grenadier" and an attempt to entice the serious off-road vehicle market. The big knock is that if your way off-road, and the air suspension or some other component fails, there's no way to fix it, so better to go with a Jeep, Bronco or Grenadier which are more mechanical and market themselves as super tough, fix-it-yourself because there's less tech to fail.

Even Defender fans in this thread are saying spend those marketing dollars to fix reliability issues; if we have that bias, how is JLR ever going to convince new comers to give the Defender a try? I have 40k+ miles on my '21 and I haven't had a single issue with it -- except a CEL for an emissions sensor. But no matter how much more reliable the Defender becomes, the taint/stain of Land Rover reliability will always be there. Spinning off Defender as a brand provides a chance to disassociate with JLR and erase that stigma.

Times change and marketing people know what they're doing. The only way to get passed the reliability question is to disassociate from JLR. If they build reliable vehicles under a separate "Defender brand," in 5 or 10 years Defender will be like Jeep, and people entering the market will only be asking "what can it do off road?"

The following 2 users liked this post by brydup:
Phil McCracken (06-02-2023), WMN (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 07:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_F
I was in Huntsville last weekend and saw a Pangea 110 with white roof, ladder, lunchbox parked at the Space & Rocket Center. Any chance that was you?
I wish! I live in south alabama but my brother lives in Huntsville. I just know that dealer is really reputable.

I myself just bought a D2 for $1000 that I’m bringing back to life for my project.

Mike_F (04-22-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 07:59 AM
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

If your first instinct is is to follow the route of FCA and spin off vehicle lines into their own brands like they did with Ram and Dodge, you need to take a step back from your desk, breath, and reevaluate your life choices.

_Allegedly (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 11:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Eitan
If your first instinct is is to follow the route of FCA and spin off vehicle lines into their own brands like they did with Ram and Dodge, you need to take a step back from your desk, breath, and reevaluate your life choices.
Right. If your brand sucks and nobody wants it...

Of course, this may mean that JD Powers just won't survey them anymore because the volume would be too low if they break them all off. That's one way to win.
​​​​​

Old 04-21-2023, 11:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by brydup
Isn't this exactly what Jeep did?
I think the closer analogy is if Jeep spun Wrangler off as its own brand, like Dodge did Ram. I mean, Jeep does have other well known models, just like Land Rover. By the way, my son is 21 and I'm sure he'd be equally clueless about the Chrysler family of brands of yesteryear.

Regardless, I am very glad to hear of your ownership experience. My MY23.5 110 is on order and I have my fingers crossed I get one as good as yours. I had a 1993 Range Rover and although I loved the car, it was pretty much one thing after another. I also have a SIIA 88 that I've owned for 27 years, but that doesn't really count since it's from a completely different era and you expect to tinker on a Series Land Rover anyway.

Old 04-21-2023, 01:23 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Ragtop
Before ya'll wreck another perfectly good set of panties....Remember, you are referencing an article that appeared in Motor Trend...
Not sure about your panties, but my post clearly says: “not losing any sleep over this”.🥱

Quick Reply: Defender becoming it's own brand, Land Rover phased out