Sponsored by:

Defender Competitor Rivian Offering At-Home Demos

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 05:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts
Default Defender Competitor Rivian Offering At-Home Demos

What a strange Rivian kind of day!

I saw one in person for the first time a couple hours ago and then I get this email with an invitation to bring one to my house for a 45 minute demo including a 30 minute drive.

Let's me be clear. I love my Defender... and Bronco... and Taycan but my eyes are wandering and this is close competition for... one of them.

This happens in a couple weeks so, please, if you have any questions about the R1T from the perspective of a Defender owner, post 'em up and I'll try to get the info

Also plan to get pics next to the Defender and Bronco.

:

Last edited by _Allegedly; 05-20-2022 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had a deposit in on an R1S and I never got offered this hahaha. Hell, I dont even have an update or eta

Old 05-20-2022, 08:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Paradigm
I have had a deposit in on an R1S and I never got offered this hahaha. Hell, I dont even have an update or eta
Same. R1S. Not sure why I specifically got it. Watch for the email I guess.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:28 PM
Pro Wrench

This was a whole bunch of fun!

First, if you just hate EV's, ignore this and move on.

If you're open to try something different, find a way to drive one of these. I was right there with you for a long time so I get it. No hard feelings.

Here goes a really random stream of thoughts.

45 minutes wasn't really enough time but I can say the SUV version of this will be heavily cross-shopped by car-pool moms and a lot of sports parents and activity/lifestyle enthusiasts. You can say these aren't Defender people but roll up to my son's school and see the Landy parade. 6 or 7 Defenders and it's not a big school. Some/many will switch.

Aside from the fact that it's an absolute beast at 3 second 0-60, it's a nice truck. The safety and driving tech alone is really going to make a lot of people want one. The GUI is really intuitive and quick. Your phone can be your key (seriously why is it 2022 and all upper-tier vehicles don't have that?) Cameras record to a USB stick (again, why doesn't LR do that??). Forget about looking for little lights on your side mirrors when you change lanes. The driver display shows you on the road with other vehicles around you and your position in the lane.

Lots of room, super quiet, really nice interior with very thoughtful storage spaces and omfg, the power! Each wheel has its own motor for incredibly controlled torque. It blows away almost every supercar on the planet (if you want that in a 6000 lb. brick) and it comes in well under $100k with 360-ish mile range and super-fast charging.

Where I wish I had more time is with all the driving modes. Breaking, suspension, body roll, etc. were a little random based on the modes. I'm sure there's a way to dial it all in. I will say it tracks the road very well and steering was nice if not a little numb for daily driving. It does pretty well for such a big heavy truck. Much more refined than other big lunks I've driven (Excursion, Expedition).
Letting all of that go, I didn't have any emotional connection to it. I've said that the outside reminds me of a General Motors concept car. It just doesn't do anything for me.

The inside was quite a bit higher quality than I expected... mostly. The plastic bed in the pickup version looks like it wouldn't hold up to serious use as a work truck. But that's probably not the target market. The frunk is absolutely cavernous and can be hosed right out. Very cool feature. The carpet and mandatory 3rd row that they've shown in the SUV version is a huge drawback for me but the Defender cargo space is pretty minimal too.

Seats were very comfortable, driving position is nice, a couple little bits of too-plastic plastic (ac vents) remind you it's a lifestyle vehicle not a luxury box.

Last part is just me and I probably just need to get used to it. One pedal drive is hell. You let off the gas and it just slows right down. Again, I'd have to practice to smooth that part out.

All told, I truly love my Defender and I'd have a really hard time giving it up but this would be the only EV option that comes close and it has some very strong arguments. I have about a year to decide and, like I said, I really love the Defender.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 06-02-2022 at 02:00 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GavinC (06-02-2022), GrouseK9 (06-02-2022), JMF20 (06-02-2022), makristal (11-18-2022), Matty79 (06-04-2022), TrioLRowner (06-02-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-02-2022, 02:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Thanks for that. The first review I've read re: one and one that I can put faith behind. Well written. I'm not a raving EV fan, but I am a begrudging accepter that they will enter my life one day. To date, none have appealed to me enough. This one could change that. My minimum is 200 miles per charge, so this sounds like it has potential. Only problem is I'm wait listing for a Genadier and I don't think I have the hair or patience to wait on two vehicles.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
makristal (11-18-2022), _Allegedly (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 02:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

A motor at each wheel could give the truck stupendous off-road capability -- in theory.

Any discussion or experience with whether they have put in the sensors and the experienced software logic to deliver on this potential?

Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-02-2022, 04:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I havent had the opportunity to test drive a rivian but I've seen a couple in the wild and I'm very intrigued. I dont need a truck due to my F250 but I could definitely use a nice electric SUV. I love my Defender but depending on how the R1S works out I may make the jump.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,303 Likes on 951 Posts

No brakes!

Sounds fun.

Not sure I could be trusted with one of them.

I've seen a few nearby me here in WA. Cool looking truck. Very truck-like. I like trucks.

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
makristal (11-18-2022), _Allegedly (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 10:01 AM
Pro Wrench

Thank you @GrouseK9 that's a nice compliment coming from you.

@TrioLRowner an independent motor at each wheel should be less complicated and more capable than anything ICE could offer for 4wd/awd. There have been some really positive reviews that also point out deficiencies but they seem to be able to throw OTA updates at it.

Idk, I'm still trying to absorb this. Last night my wife asked, "did you really like the Rivian that much?" Without hesitation or thinking I said "no".

​​​​​If you're just making a paper list comparing it to a Defender, the Rivian wins in almost every category and it adds so much tech, convenience, and fresh use of space. They will sell everything they can build and it will win a lot of potential LR buyers, especially the younger demographic.

Where it completely lost me is that it has no soul and I don't think that's anything to do with "EV vs. gas" because I'm still in love with our Taycan. Maybe because it's an EV that also happens to be a Porsche? I'm looking forward to see what LR can do with an electric Defender and, to me, that really has nothing to do with gas prices.

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GrouseK9 (06-03-2022), makristal (11-18-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 10:07 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GavinC
No brakes!

Sounds fun.

Not sure I could be trusted with one of them.

I've seen a few nearby me here in WA. Cool looking truck. Very truck-like. I like trucks.
I only had to use brakes once when I was going a little too fast and a light went yellow. It's weird to me but a lot of Tesla people seem to like it.

Reminds me of those AFX slot cars where you have to finesse the trigger to maintain speed.

Quick Reply: Defender Competitor Rivian Offering At-Home Demos