2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender Competitor Rivian Offering At-Home Demos

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 08:59 AM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

l don't think we'll get these in the UK.

It looks a great vehicle but as already mentioned that front end is just brutal. l couldn't do it. But l imagine others will be fine with it.

Old 03-03-2023, 11:28 AM
Mudding
Received 167 Likes on 98 Posts

There are three now in my small town (<1000 population). One family has both the R1S and the R1T.

They look very nicely made and apparently they have displaced Tesla at the top of JD Power's list of customer satisfaction.

I'm happy to see more options in the market and I hope they weather the financial issues they are having

The following users liked this post:
lightning (03-03-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 08:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Volkswagen walks into the room. They announced this revival a while back but there were non-believers. Looks like they're serious.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcru...-carolina/amp/

IMO, what you can see is better looking than a Rivian although a little too Grand Cherokee/ Dodge in the R&T render. VW EV tech is already excellent, especially if they go 800 volt and stock with the original Scout 800 designation.

Official

Road & Track

ficklma1 (04-10-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 08:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

What will be the range of that thing in cold weather or when towing?
Off road EV is still a toy.
Probably not good in the snow too (different traction). I have toyota hybrid with no conventional transmission and it's not so good, even with traction control off.
Lack of torque converter and electric high torque on start, I think.

Last edited by TeddyG; 03-04-2023 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:18 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by TeddyG
What will be the range of that thing in cold weather or when towing?
Off road EV is still a toy.
Probably not good in the snow too (different traction). I have toyota hybrid with no conventional transmission and it's not so good, even with traction control off.
Lack of torque converter and electric high torque on start, I think.
Range is reduced about 30% in temps in the teens with expected associated wind at around 20 mph.

Charging speed has been increased once to 200kw via OTA. Charging is fast at 140 miles of range in about 20 minutes. Another OTA upgrade is expected to push it to 350kw. That's pretty damn fast and they're only getting faster.

I've done a couple of EV road trips. Once you learn the strategy, they're not difficult. My last trip was Chicago to Orlando in January. Was very cold until Atlanta. Added about 2 hours total to the drive and I used that time to get lunch, coffee, etc. More relaxing and I felt better than I would had I driven without stops.

As for snow,

Old 03-04-2023, 12:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

good, we have Ford Ligtnings here, winter range is dismal, and so is towing.
Camping trips outside Toronto, forget it.

Old 03-04-2023, 12:43 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by TeddyG
good, we have Ford Ligtnings here, winter range is dismal, and so is towing.
Camping trips outside Toronto, forget it.
As they say in Letterkenny, not my pig, not my farm.

TeddyG (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 10:50 PM
Drifting
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I have my third Model S, this one the Plaid. Have had a few Model X's and model Y's, for whole family. Also many exotic sports cars in the past. A fully build Ford Raptor that I truly adore and can't imagine selling. On our second Defender, had the X and now the V8. Had a friend who is an exec with Rivian bring by his R1S and let us drive it. We both said, we loved the defender much more, and that was when we just had our X not the V8. I am on the list to get one and think I will decline it. I brought up the tesla ownership to show how much I love EV's but I also love cars in general thus why I have had so many different ones. I just didn't feel the Rivian gave a feeling special enough to replace the Defender. I haven't made up my mind for sure, and would test drive it again. I just had to comment since I agree with your thoughts on this.

_Allegedly (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 04:34 AM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

As a lifelong car enthusiast l have owned over forty cars ranging from a Ferrari Mondial t to a 1932 saloon.

l can't get enthusiastic about electric vehicles. I've driven a few, including the loan of a friend's Tesla P85D while he was on holiday.

I can't deny the effectiveness of electricity as a power source, obviously the performance, smoothness and perceived eco benefits.

But they just don't do anything for me. l guess in the end l'll have to get used to it because they are apparently the future but for now l love my Defender D250

Old 03-05-2023, 01:21 PM
Drifting
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lightning
As a lifelong car enthusiast l have owned over forty cars ranging from a Ferrari Mondial t to a 1932 saloon.

l can't get enthusiastic about electric vehicles. I've driven a few, including the loan of a friend's Tesla P85D while he was on holiday.

I can't deny the effectiveness of electricity as a power source, obviously the performance, smoothness and perceived eco benefits.

But they just don't do anything for me. l guess in the end l'll have to get used to it because they are apparently the future but for now l love my Defender D250
I totally get it. You may never come around to appreciating an EV. I hope they never stop making petrol cars.

My DD was an Audi S6 that was modified with a tune and exhaust, it was a monster. For fun I had just traded my 997 GT2 ( again perfectly modified, not too aggressive) for a ferrari Scuderia. When I was considering the new M5 or E63 or even a S63 as my new DD, other friends who had exotics said to go try the new Model S tesla P90D. I said, no way I am a car guy. And plus it's over priced and so plain. They just said, shut up and go test drive it. I did, and was blown away, plus I knew I had the other cars for sound and thrill. But the tesla was more fun than the euro sport sedans for me. That was followed by a P100D and now the Plaid. If you haven't test driven the Plaid, it handles better than or as good as the sports sedans from Euro. It doesn't just beat them in a straight line, it got the best lap times. What that translates to is 'fun'. But every time my lease is up, I cross shop what is out there, and nothing comes close to giving me what I want in a DD right now. I will always have my fun cars whether they are electric or not. And I do love the old Defenders, I don't blame you for loving your D250.

The DD of a tesla is the use of its infotainment which is so easy and provides usefulness that no otters gives. And after living with it for a few years, you can't imagine not having it. Also almost a 1000 watt stereo that sounds amazing and the interface to play all your favorite music is again easier than any other method. The charging is at home with solar so no cost to me. Have 350 miles of range every day, and supercharging if needed gives me 180 miles in 15min. The NAV, autopilot in traffic and how seamless it moves and accelerates takes away the stress from driving that you don't realize till it's not there anymore.

On the other end of it all, the funnest car I drove lately was my brothers VW GTI manual trans in the twisties.

lightning (03-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Defender Competitor Rivian Offering At-Home Demos