Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender Guide to Alexa

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 01:55 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Well, I played with it for a while and was whelmed. Not over-whelmed or under-whelmed, I was just whelmed. I was hoping it would control different settings/options/configurations of the Defender. All it really does is the Infotainment features of PiviPro. Handy but not mind blowing (for me). I'll keep messing with it in the hopes that I either get used to it & it provides some ease of use improvements or I have an ah-ha moment.
I’ve also played with it. It is fast, but struggles to understand commands (or mine at least). Siri seems to understand everything I say. It also will not play music from Apple Music on my phone, despite the Skill being installed on the Alexa App on the phone (I think Alexa on the LR is separate from Alexa on the phone anyway). I can’t get Pivi Pro to play media either using voice commands. I really wanted a universal voice control system, but I’m a afraid it isn’t it unless you buy into the Amazon ecosystem.

If anyone can make either Pivi or Alexa work with an iPhone Apple Music service, I’ll give them my first born child. At 22, he is very low maintenance.

Frustratingly, I’m still left with using a mix of voice systems to get the functionality I want, unless I abandon Pivi Pro completely to Car Play (which I’d normally do in every other car I have, but Pivi Pro is actually really damn good).

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 01:59 PM
Mudding
Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been curious if the remote start through Alexa is more reliable than using the Land Rover remote app. The remote app is frustratingly slow and seems to time out half the time I'm trying to start my vehicle.

Chief65 (02-14-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 02:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

When I got this update, I was pumped. I did not know you could connect the Defender to your account and it is wild. I use Alexa for my home etc. so it is pretty nice when you are 20 mins from home and say "Alexa set my thermostat to 68 degrees" or "Alexa turn on my home lights" You can set pretty much anything up in the Alexa app on your phone and it will work in your car when speaking.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:20 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by HMBodo08
When I got this update, I was pumped. I did not know you could connect the Defender to your account and it is wild. I use Alexa for my home etc. so it is pretty nice when you are 20 mins from home and say "Alexa set my thermostat to 68 degrees" or "Alexa turn on my home lights" You can set pretty much anything up in the Alexa app on your phone and it will work in your car when speaking.
Can you get it to work with Apple Music?

Old 02-16-2022, 04:37 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Simon14
Can you get it to work with Apple Music?
It should work with anything that you have set up in the Alexa app. So if you have Spotify connected or Sirius XM etc. It should all play in the car.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,258 Likes on 748 Posts

Just got an e-mail from JLR re: how to set it up. Wow! Wasn't expecting something this well executed. Here's the link from the e-mail:

https://www.landroverusa.com/ownersh...ate/alexa.html

This is great production quality. If it's the work of Damien Dinning, then well done. My only input is that I would have preferred the FAST, personalized update than something that is even better quality (this) that takes four months to come out. His update in November was GREAT, timely, well produced. Too bad the marketing/legal team shut that down. I think MANY old school companies are having a tough time with social media and wants to over control messaging for "brand" reasons.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 02-17-2022 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

I know this is an alexa thread but does anyone know about google assistant coming? Couldnt find anything online that was factory. My whole home is controlled via google so would be cool to do stuff like start the car etc from home with google.

Lnberger (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 06:08 PM
Mudding
Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by inater
I know this is an alexa thread but does anyone know about google assistant coming? Couldnt find anything online that was factory. My whole home is controlled via google so would be cool to do stuff like start the car etc from home with google.
I'm in the same situation. Google Home throughout. Although if Alexa starts the vehicle more reliably than the remote start app I'll set it up. But nobody has chimed in yet on an earlier post asking about that.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by JMF20
I'm in the same situation. Google Home throughout. Although if Alexa starts the vehicle more reliably than the remote start app I'll set it up. But nobody has chimed in yet on an earlier post asking about that.
I tried it today it’s pretty easy but you need to speak your in-control pin every time you want to do something. It’s an extra step due to security but it works. Idk if I would want to be saying my pin out loud in public so I’ll keep the LR app too.

Also, every 90 days you have to re link your account to Alexa app due to security too.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:32 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by HMBodo08
It should work with anything that you have set up in the Alexa app. So if you have Spotify connected or Sirius XM etc. It should all play in the car.
Doesn’t wor me. Even if i disconnect CarPlay and run the iPhone as a Bluetooth device. Also seems incapable of understanding my surname. :-(

Quick Reply: Defender Guide to Alexa