2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender Maximum Side Angle

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 10:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

Great Pictures @Count Laszlo That would be a code brown situation for me. Not knowing what's going on under the water is the biggest variable. Steering down the slope there could mean getting your nose scratched up or getting wedged. Who knows. Reversing out in Lo with all the diffs locked would be my first idea I reckon unless I could wade into the puddle myself to check it out. A stick to poke and prod.

Puddles are cold around here so getting into them is less than pleasant.

I always love seeing the angled shots of vehicles in gnarly positions with wheels off the ground. Things can tip so easily though with shifting momentum. A change in angle can be rapid and precipitous. How things feel to the driver versus how safe they are largely depends on experience and ones abilities. I lack both.

I've not approached anything as angled as that and would likely have waved the white flag and sought rescue. Live to fight another day.

I knew from prior trip what lay at the bottom of this hole. all 4 wheels firmly planted but the only angled shot I have.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 10:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

I did the same thing the two of you did in a massive (and deeper) mud pit than I expected. I also went in at a weird oblique angle. I quickly tried to reverse but the front end just pivoted in the mud so I turned hard to help with the traction and it popped right out. I wish I had someone taking pics like the two of you, but I was way too focused on primitive instincts like survival.

Great pics!! I hope to remember next time...

GavinC (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 10:53 AM
Mudding
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

In case you're wondering what to do if you find yourself in this situation... "If you're on a side slope and the vehicle begins to slide sideways out of control, or heaven forbid, tip, the escape clause is to immediately turn downhill." Link

The only challenge is whether you want your car to float or roll in some of these examples. I'd probably choose float.

TrioLRowner (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 11:01 AM
Pro Wrench

Reading thru that link....there's a National Certification for 4-wheeling? Sign me up for a correspondence course!

GavinC (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Great Pictures @Count Laszlo That would be a code brown situation for me. Not knowing what's going on under the water is the biggest variable. Steering down the slope there could mean getting your nose scratched up or getting wedged. Who knows. Reversing out in Lo with all the diffs locked would be my first idea I reckon unless I could wade into the puddle myself to check it out. A stick to poke and prod.

Puddles are cold around here so getting into them is less than pleasant.

I always love seeing the angled shots of vehicles in gnarly positions with wheels off the ground. Things can tip so easily though with shifting momentum. A change in angle can be rapid and precipitous. How things feel to the driver versus how safe they are largely depends on experience and ones abilities. I lack both.

I've not approached anything as angled as that and would likely have waved the white flag and sought rescue. Live to fight another day.

I knew from prior trip what lay at the bottom of this hole. all 4 wheels firmly planted but the only angled shot I have.
Great post, love the pic!

I need to gain experience no doubt.

I’m just glad nothing bad happened.

GavinC (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 11:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

A good spotter-crew is worth its weight in crushed seat-cheezits and headliner-boot-prints

Last edited by GavinC; 01-10-2022 at 12:38 PM.
TrioLRowner (01-11-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 03:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

No side angle issues here, but I used to search out dirt roads/trails anywhere I could find them when I first got my Jeep about 8 years ago. I found this private land with no house or anything on it on my commute home one day, and that commute was only 15 minutes on suburban surface streets. The land was leftover in the midst of subdivisions and shopping centers all around, and had been sold and developed within a year of my finding it. But I had gone on the quarter-mile worth of trails back there three or four times without incident. Then I started home one afternoon after it had rained that day. Along I went with little thought to the puddle that had appeared. What could possibly go wrong???

Fortunately, since I had dress shoes and Khakis on, I was able to step from the bank to the bumper, grab my winch lead, and walk around the puddle on dry land to hook to a tree up ahead. All ended well.

Another time I was going through some woods with a wide powerline cut that Jeepers used from time to time. Halfway along it I saw an alternate trail leave the powerlines and disappear into the woods. Hell yeah! When I got to this little bog, hardly any longer than my Jeep, I figured it couldn't be very bad, right? I could have probably even kept two wheels on firmer land, but where's the fun in that? Buried it in quicksand. I got out (I was in weekend clothes this time) and found a branch to test the depth. It got deeper ahead of the Jeep and I was reluctant to pull forward. Fortunately, I had my portable 4k winch on a winch tray that hooks into a hitch receiver. Hooked that up and pulled backwards. Everything was fine. But those two incidents gave me a healthy aversion to "here, hold my beer" sorts of frolics in ponds, pools, and mudholes I can't see the bottom of!

Notice the left exhaust tip in the last picture.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 01-10-2022 at 03:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
GavinC (01-10-2022), GrouseK9 (01-10-2022), TrioLRowner (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 08:28 PM
Pro Wrench

Definitely need to go wheeling with you, @NoGaBiker , if I ever move back east.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
No side angle issues here, but I used to search out dirt roads/trails anywhere I could find them when I first got my Jeep about 8 years ago. I found this private land with no house or anything on it on my commute home one day, and that commute was only 15 minutes on suburban surface streets. The land was leftover in the midst of subdivisions and shopping centers all around, and had been sold and developed within a year of my finding it. But I had gone on the quarter-mile worth of trails back there three or four times without incident. Then I started home one afternoon after it had rained that day. Along I went with little thought to the puddle that had appeared. What could possibly go wrong???

Fortunately, since I had dress shoes and Khakis on, I was able to step from the bank to the bumper, grab my winch lead, and walk around the puddle on dry land to hook to a tree up ahead. All ended well.

Another time I was going through some woods with a wide powerline cut that Jeepers used from time to time. Halfway along it I saw an alternate trail leave the powerlines and disappear into the woods. Hell yeah! When I got to this little bog, hardly any longer than my Jeep, I figured it couldn't be very bad, right? I could have probably even kept two wheels on firmer land, but where's the fun in that? Buried it in quicksand. I got out (I was in weekend clothes this time) and found a branch to test the depth. It got deeper ahead of the Jeep and I was reluctant to pull forward. Fortunately, I had my portable 4k winch on a winch tray that hooks into a hitch receiver. Hooked that up and pulled backwards. Everything was fine. But those two incidents gave me a healthy aversion to "here, hold my beer" sorts of frolics in ponds, pools, and mudholes I can't see the bottom of!

Notice the left exhaust tip in the last picture.

That Jeep is sweet! Great story.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 133 Likes on 38 Posts

My training with the old Defender

The following 3 users liked this post by mopadzi:
GavinC (01-11-2022), GrouseK9 (01-11-2022), TrioLRowner (01-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Defender Maximum Side Angle