2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 11:58 AM
Overlanding
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2024 110 had only 300 miles on it when southbound on interstate 85 north of Atlanta a dump truck loaded with 2-3” granite rocks in the right lane started to loose his load! I was in the inside lane going 75-80 when the rocks came for the Defender. Damaged the front, hood, passenger side with many rock gouges to the paint. Needless to say my windshield was trashed by the rock strikes.

Safelite Pensacola FL advised me the LR OEM windshield was back ordered and no date given of when it would be in. They also advised me they had no other aftermarket windshield that would work. I told them I didn’t think the 2024 Defender windshield had changed from earlier model years and that I have read that others have had their windshields replaced by Safelite with non OEM.

Anyone heard this from Safelite?

Old 05-08-2024, 12:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman53
My 2024 110 had only 300 miles on it when southbound on interstate 85 north of Atlanta a dump truck loaded with 2-3” granite rocks in the right lane started to loose his load! I was in the inside lane going 75-80 when the rocks came for the Defender. Damaged the front, hood, passenger side with many rock gouges to the paint. Needless to say my windshield was trashed by the rock strikes.

Safelite Pensacola FL advised me the LR OEM windshield was back ordered and no date given of when it would be in. They also advised me they had no other aftermarket windshield that would work. I told them I didn’t think the 2024 Defender windshield had changed from earlier model years and that I have read that others have had their windshields replaced by Safelite with non OEM.

Nope.

I cracked my windshield on Friday just gone. Had it replaced yesterday. Safelite got it done. Might be something of a record. Sent the claim in Saturday night and appointments were available Monday. 4 days from cracked to replaced.

Aftermarket glass this time. (this is my 3rd windshield)

All good with the installation.

The following users liked this post:
curb-optional (06-11-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 12:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman53

Ouch! Sorry about your incident. I hate it when dump trucks do not secure their loads and boy are there a lot of them on the road nowadays. Were you able to get the dump truck's information or tag number? The dump truck's insurance company should pay for all your repairs. As far as safelite goes, they should have non OEM in stock unless they ran out. Also, if you order an OEM one from the dealer, they should be able to get one in a reasonable time. It is one of their best selling parts!

Old 05-08-2024, 09:06 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Went with the non OEM windshield, honestly it looks as good as the OEM with only minor differences. Safelite was the only place that could get/had the windshield. I will have to go to Safelite to have it recalibrated, they came out with a bad computer and could not recalibrate at the time. I did mention to the tech about people losing their A-pillar trim after windshield replacement. Fortunately, Florida car insurance pays for windshield replacement. Hopefully, I can go a year without another crack. LR needs to get busy making more windshields.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:26 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NEREUS
Update: Went with the non OEM windshield, honestly it looks as good as the OEM with only minor differences. Safelite was the only place that could get/had the windshield. I will have to go to Safelite to have it recalibrated, they came out with a bad computer and could not recalibrate at the time. I did mention to the tech about people losing their A-pillar trim after windshield replacement. Fortunately, Florida car insurance pays for windshield replacement. Hopefully, I can go a year without another crack. LR needs to get busy making more windshields.

How much did that cost? My dealer wants over $3200 to replace mine. $2000 for the glass, $300 for install, $900 for calibration. Absolutely f'ing nuts.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:57 AM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

$900 to "calibrate the windshield"

Good grief, what's involved and how long does it take, all day?

Old 05-09-2024, 12:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Non OEM Brand Windshields

Just curious. When you install a non OEM windshield what are some of the brand names on them? My basic LR windshield is made by Pelkington.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:03 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same, I got mine from safelite glass.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by lightning
$900 to "calibrate the windshield"

Good grief, what's involved and how long does it take, all day?
Calibration of the cameras or sensors has not been needed on either of my replacements. It is rarely needed according to the Safelite techs.

This is why my insurance won't work with LR. They charge over and above what a 3rd party will. More than double. Those coffee machines and free lobby-cookies don't pay for themselves.

Cost for OEM glass with Safelite was about $1200 all in. Probably less for my aftermarket glass this time. Calibration not needed unless an error is thrown.

I have the basic windshield.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Calibration of the cameras or sensors has not been needed on either of my replacements. It is rarely needed according to the Safelite techs.

This is why my insurance won't work with LR. They charge over and above what a 3rd party will. More than double. Those coffee machines and free lobby-cookies don't pay for themselves.

Cost for OEM glass with Safelite was about $1200 all in. Probably less for my aftermarket glass this time. Calibration not needed unless an error is thrown.

I have the basic windshield.
Well, to be fair, LR dealers are all over the place. Mine was $1350 consistently for the glass (3 windshields over the past 2.5 years), and $280 for the labor (install and whatever calibration is needed, if any.) Still high at $1630, but way different than the $3000 mentioned above, and about in line with the delta one would expect between OEM glass installed at the dealer and Safelite's job.

Funny thing is, my insurer (Chubb) has a special number to call when you need a windshield, and it's answered by Safelite! They are very helpful and have access to all the LR database about what windshield my VIN requires, and each time they've told me Safelite can't get that one and for me to go to LR. I don't have heated windshield or HUD, but perhaps there's something fancy in there I don't know about?

Quick Reply: Defender Windshield