Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 04:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Well, to be fair, LR dealers are all over the place. Mine was $1350 consistently for the glass (3 windshields over the past 2.5 years), and $280 for the labor (install and whatever calibration is needed, if any.) Still high at $1630, but way different than the $3000 mentioned above, and about in line with the delta one would expect between OEM glass installed at the dealer and Safelite's job.

Funny thing is, my insurer (Chubb) has a special number to call when you need a windshield, and it's answered by Safelite! They are very helpful and have access to all the LR database about what windshield my VIN requires, and each time they've told me Safelite can't get that one and for me to go to LR. I don't have heated windshield or HUD, but perhaps there's something fancy in there I don't know about?
Yeah. Price is dictated by many factors but tacking on a $900 fee for calibration right off the bat is odd. It's not needed in most cases and you know they're not removing the fee if it's not needed. $3k + for a windshield is shady.

Old 05-11-2024, 02:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Update for all 2024 Defender 110 with the normal windshield.

I reached out to my LR parts manager who described the 2024 windshield vs earlier model years.

The windshield for your 2024 Defender is definitely different from that of the 2023 and earlier. While the body of the vehicle has not changed, the camera and rearview mirror that are mounted to the glass have, and thus will not attach to the previous windshield. The part number for the windshield on your Defender is LR182560. This is a windshield without heating, heads-up display, or UV treatment. This part is currently on backorder, without a published ETA. Historically parts without an ETA arrive within 90 days, though of late parts are arriving without ever having seen an ETA assigned. So, the hope of a shorter lead time than 90 days is not an irrational one. I hope that this helps answer your question, but feel free to reach out with any others.

The following users liked this post:
WAFOX (05-12-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 04:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by CEHansen
Just curious. When you install a non OEM windshield what are some of the brand names on them? My basic LR windshield is made by Pelkington.
Their generic ones are Pelkington also.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:51 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are law firms that are taking cases based on this specific windshield issue. If the warranty on these windshield defects are not being honored, it may be worthwhile to reach out. I am in the process of doing this with a firm.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

There is not much a law firm can do if your windshield had a foreign object impact. If it is a stress crack, your dealership will do a thorough inspection and replace it under warranty. I could have sworn my first windshield had a stress crack, and the service advisor showed me where a tiny impact caused the crack. These windshields are like magnets for flying objects due to the angle. Get a good insurance policy that offers replacements with zero or low deductibles.

The following users liked this post:
lrFFM (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 10:57 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Anyone ever check Gorilla Glass? I've noticed it's available for a Wrangler, and maybe Corning (the company that makes Gorilla Glass) is only selling it for automotive purposes in agreement with Jeep. BUT.... just wondering if anyone with a Defender has tried to get this for theirs? If you put Gorilla Glass on a Defender, I think there would be alot fewer broken windshields...

Old 05-14-2024, 11:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
Anyone ever check Gorilla Glass? I've noticed it's available for a Wrangler, and maybe Corning (the company that makes Gorilla Glass) is only selling it for automotive purposes in agreement with Jeep. BUT.... just wondering if anyone with a Defender has tried to get this for theirs? If you put Gorilla Glass on a Defender, I think there would be alot fewer broken windshields...
I have not tried Gorilla Glass but did try Shatter X windshield protection. In my case, the Shatter X did not protect my windshield.

Old 06-10-2024, 06:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Answered my own question

Just curious. When you install a non OEM windshield what are some of the brand names on them? My basic LR windshield is made by Pelkington.
Well it seems as though I had to answer my own question. After many months and many strikes I managed to get a crack in the windshield that required replacement. My insurance company (Pemco) has contracted with Safelite for windshield repair/replacement. Today they installed a new windshield made by a company called Fuyao. It’s made in the USA if that matters. $100 deductible to me.

Last edited by CEHansen; 06-10-2024 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-10-2024, 08:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

Well it seems as though I had to answer my own question. After many months and many strikes I managed to get a crack in the windshield that required replacement. My insurance company (Pemco) has contracted with Safelite for windshield repair/replacement. Today they installed a new windshield made by a company called Fuyao. It’s made in the USA if that matters. $100 deductible to me.
same one on mine from Safelite.

can’t be any worse than OEM. This is my third. First non OEM.

Old 06-11-2024, 04:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
same one on mine from Safelite.

can’t be any worse than OEM. This is my third. First non OEM.
One note of caution - I had a non-oem glass installed on a Mercedes. It ended up not being installed correctly and leaked 1.5 years later - the water ran to the passenger side floor board and shorted out the electrical components of the drivers assistance/blind spot etc hardware. The glass supplier wouldn’t fix it(claimed something must have caused it to do that) and Mercedes wouldn’t cover under warranty. I ended up having to pay over 6k to fix all of this -talked to a lawyer but it would have taken at least 3-6 months to even have a chance of resolution. I don’t think Mercedes would have denied responsibility if I had the dealer replace the glass. I would hope a company as big as safelite wouldn’t behave the same way but I am not sure I will do aftermarket glass again after that experience.

Quick Reply: Defender Windshield