Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 07:16 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Newbote
One note of caution - I had a non-oem glass installed on a Mercedes. It ended up not being installed correctly and leaked 1.5 years later - the water ran to the passenger side floor board and shorted out the electrical components of the drivers assistance/blind spot etc hardware. The glass supplier wouldn’t fix it(claimed something must have caused it to do that) and Mercedes wouldn’t cover under warranty. I ended up having to pay over 6k to fix all of this -talked to a lawyer but it would have taken at least 3-6 months to even have a chance of resolution. I don’t think Mercedes would have denied responsibility if I had the dealer replace the glass. I would hope a company as big as safelite wouldn’t behave the same way but I am not sure I will do aftermarket glass again after that experience.
I've had a windshield replacement on my older LR (not a Defender). It has the heat, so when I called to schedule a replacement I asked that the company doing the install use an OEM JLR windshield. It took a few extra days, but they did it. Without the JLR windshield, I may have lost the heat function, so that's why I wanted one from my dealer. BUT, it wasn't installed by the dealer, which was easier for me.

Old 06-11-2024, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Dealers in general do not instal windshields as they sub it out to specialized companies.

Old 06-11-2024, 11:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Newbote
One note of caution - I had a non-oem glass installed on a Mercedes. It ended up not being installed correctly and leaked 1.5 years later - the water ran to the passenger side floor board and shorted out the electrical components of the drivers assistance/blind spot etc hardware. The glass supplier wouldn’t fix it(claimed something must have caused it to do that) and Mercedes wouldn’t cover under warranty. I ended up having to pay over 6k to fix all of this -talked to a lawyer but it would have taken at least 3-6 months to even have a chance of resolution. I don’t think Mercedes would have denied responsibility if I had the dealer replace the glass. I would hope a company as big as safelite wouldn’t behave the same way but I am not sure I will do aftermarket glass again after that experience.
The installation is all legit and covered and backed up by safelite.

The glass is normal and the fit is the same as before. If it leaks I'd have them rectify it. Not a worry. Safelite do good work and stand behind it.

LR dealer here sends it to their glass people somewhere and charge double.

Mine is bog-standard glass.