Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel options for the US??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Diesel options for the US??

Anybody know if the diesels will come to the US?
UK specs have the 200 & 240 HP 4cyl diesels. Not sure why the SD6 diesel is not in the Defender, but other models sport the 306HP SD6 Diesel engine, which would be pretty sweet in a Defender.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:50 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed that the European diesels would be a very nice option here in the US, but unfortunately LR isn't bringing them over here. At least, not initially. Car and Driver did print that LR officials said a US diesel was a "mid-term" goal, but who knows what that really means?

Looks like I'll be placing an order for a Discovery diesel instead.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:07 AM
Rock Crawling

Pity, maybe things will happen. We don’t even have the new SD6 option, just the older TD6 in the other models. Not sure why, perhaps US diesel quality?

Old 09-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Drifting

The US has different diesel emissions standards than the UK / Europe have, with lower NOx emissions levels allowed. This is why US diesels have had to use the urea (AdBlue / DEF) treatments for a while now, and the UK / Europeans ones generally haven't until recently. Also, as you mention, US diesel quality isn't as good as elsewhere, so that requires extra engineering. Lastly, diesel is much less popular in the US so I'd expect maybe only 5-10% of the vehicles would be sold as diesels--and that's a lot of engineering and certification effort for a small number of sales.

It's hard to be a diesel fan in the US.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Rock Crawling

Perhaps a catch 22 in the US, as the diesel options get better, like the new SD6, the demand will go up. For a larger, heavier, vehicle a diesel definitely makes a lot of sense and the US demand for SUV and trucks keep growing i.e. a great growth opportunity. Note sure the hybrid and electric route is the best option for this class if vehicle, but that seems to be the path JLR is pushing here in the US instead of more solid diesel options.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Drifting

US folks liked VW's diesels until they were caught cheating emissions, so I don't think Americans are against them if they're marketed correctly. I think there'd be a good market for diesel SUVs, especially with the crowd that tows their toys places. Not everyone wants a pickup bed, and for those who adventure / overland, the extra range diesel affords is really nice.

I may be projecting here, though--I'm looking at the diesel Discovery as my wife's car because my Raptor only gets 7 MPG of premium when towing our travel trailer. Diesel's generally less expensive than premium, and I expect I'll get at least 50% better mileage when towing.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I didn’t go for diesel in my D5 because the performance of the si6 is better in every respect (inc towing) except for the fuel economy and range but at under $2.50 a gallon it doesn’t matter except on principle. (I also dislike the driving experience of turbo engines due to lag).

But on a Defender where utility is more important I’d want the extra range from diesel. As the diesel Discovery is sold here I don’t see why the diesel Defender isn’t...

The following users liked this post:
TexasLandmark (12-21-2020)
Old 09-12-2019, 04:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Why didn’t LR have a v8 option? What is the extra tax they are charged to bring v8s to the us?

take a look at the 5.7L v8 in the land cruiser. Gas mileage sucks but it’s probably the most reliable engine on the road. For a freaking defender I don’t give a crap about gas mileage or emissions into the environment. All I want is power, reliability, and ease of repair. That 5.7L can go forever.

2.0 L turbo 4 cylinder? Are you kidding me? The engine is going to be worked so hard in a big vehicle like this I don’t expect them to last past 100,000 miles.

and what about the 6 cylinder with battery storage backup and extra electric motor? Can the engine run normal if something happens to the electric motor?

any engineer would surely make a redundancy that the gas engine can run as normal if something happens right? That’s basic engineering principles.

Have the politics of climate change and environmentalism made the whole world go crazy?

LR going electric is insane.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling

I will be very tempted by a Defender 90 (or 110) with the SD6 (306HP) diesel, but the current engine options are a non starter. I even would have preferred the Si6, but we really like our D5 Si6 makes it a moot point.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:09 AM
4wd High
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told that diesel LR’s and RR’s are a thing of the past after current 2020 models for the US. The push will be for hybrid and electric. I’d love a V8 in a new Defender and chances are it may come in the form of an SVR model down the line, but for most consumers of this model the P400 MHEV will be more than enough. I have the P400 in my 2020 HST and I think it’s impressive for an I6. Even the new Land Cruiser will very likely do away with its V8. Times a changin’.

Last edited by Blairwarlock; 09-26-2019 at 01:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blairwarlock:
angelboing (11-01-2020), njdefendernj (08-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Diesel options for the US??