2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Digital Dash Shortage

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 09:58 PM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

My dealer has been great and offered to refund my deposit..The dealerships are really hurting to. I think last month he said they only had 15 new Rovers to sell and it was hard for them to find sales associates, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Llid; 08-18-2021 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Llid
You might be right. However when you see Land Rover releasing special edition Defenders with features they stated would be unavailable on your build, it makes consumers angry. The trophy edition Land Rover was made just to make quick money.
They are clearly missing the opportunity to call this new development the "Heritage Edition".

$14k more for analog gauges, faux galvanized trim, and a wrap that simulates spot welds and rust bubbles.

Overdrive package is in tight supply so you'll see if you get it when you show up to pay.

Models equiped with the Authenticity Package (double-clutch and exhaust injection into the cabin) are stuck at port because it pops out of gear when you shine a flashlight at it.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 08-19-2021 at 06:23 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
catman (08-23-2021), DakotaTravler (09-08-2021), Eitan (11-17-2021), Magnumforc (08-24-2021), milehi (08-26-2021), Sprinter1104 (09-11-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-19-2021, 06:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MattEvan
This chip shortage and all-around supply chain issues are definitely real, but they are also exposing which companies have not planned well.
Peterbilt has an assembly plant just North of me. Near the plant there is a giant field full of new trucks. They are parking a truck and removing a particular chip, getting the next truck from the plant with same chip, parking in field. Hundreds of trucks driven to the field using the same chip. Crazy times for sure.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a 2022 Defender 90 that should be at the Dealer this coming weekend. I did not order it. It was already in transit and I jumped on it before anyone else did. I have seen the build sheet for it and it does say on the build sheet "Interactive Driver Display." That mean I for sure DO have the full digital screen behind the steering wheel on mine?

Old 08-23-2021, 09:58 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone gotten an update from their dealer? Mine said my dates haven’t changed due to sticking with digital but they may not have updated just yet.

Old 08-23-2021, 12:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by greenie8459
Anyone gotten an update from their dealer? Mine said my dates haven’t changed due to sticking with digital but they may not have updated just yet.
There's another thread on this. But, in summary, it may depend on a number of factors. Firstly, it seems that XD,X and V8's will still receive the IDD regardless although it should be noted that those builds had already been pushed back because of the taillight recall. The latest notice that was read to me on August 20th indicated that ALL defenders below those trims would receive an analogue display instead of the IDD from that date forward. Others had previously claimed that their dealers indicated a window between Sept 13 through the end of October in which the analogue displays would replace the standard displays. This could also be true although that was not the most recent communication. So, it will depend on your trim level and build date for sure but the dates are somewhat unclear. At this point, I would say if your build is between now and end of year and you don't have an XD or higher trim, the likelihood is that the car is not going to get a digital display.

Edit. Sorry, i see that you actually posted in the other thread as well. But, I don't think there has been any updated guidance to the dealerships. Maybe your sales rep is trying to navigate this. FWiW, I don't think the dates mean much as my order showed as being close to US Port up until the day i found out it hadn't even been built.

Last edited by benb007; 08-23-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:05 PM
Mudding
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts

Analog display is the way to go...........ithe IDD is just another electronic problem waiting to happen. The Analog display has a center digital display for all selections. Simply put, its ore true to the heritage of the car. Good luck!!!!

Old 08-23-2021, 03:37 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMoke
I’m intrigued by your comment. In what way do you think any car manufacturer could plan well given the perfect storm that’s been going on for the last 18 months? It’s certainly not going to end soon either. And when China marches into Taiwan we will all be screwed for years to come.
From what industry insiders have said, as the pandemic hit and lock-down followed, most auto manufacturers drastically reduced their parts and semiconductor orders. The consumer electronics manufacturers (computers, tablets, cell phone, TV's) saw the demand and increased their orders for semiconductors and those chip manufacturers diverted supply to the CE industry (where they actually get a higher price for the chips than what they get from the auto manufacturers) When the auto market rebounded quicker than anticipated, the auto manufacturers were caught back on their heels and waiting in line behind the CE manufacturers for chips. So it wasn't really "poor planning" but more a symptom of just-in-time supply chain the auto manufacturers had grown accustom.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Barstoolman1127
Analog display is the way to go...........ithe IDD is just another electronic problem waiting to happen. The Analog display has a center digital display for all selections. Simply put, its ore true to the heritage of the car. Good luck!!!!
I see this as the opposite. The analogue/digital display requires all the software and chips that the full digital display does plus the analogue/digital combo actually has additional mechanical/moving parts that have a history of failing. it's not like the analogue/digital combo doesn't have a screen and I would wager both displays actually use the same software. From a maintenance perspective, the full digital display should theoretically be easier to maintain. I can only think that the cost of larger display itself offsets the cost of the mechanical gauges, which would explain the difference in price. I guess the downside of the full digital display would be that it's a single point of failure whereas the analogue gauges would still most likely work even if the screen did not. It will be interesting to see which breaks first, the gauges or the screen.

Last edited by benb007; 08-23-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Location: Summer in Upstate NY, Winter in South Florida, Spring and Fall in Kentucky
Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

The Build and Price feature on the Land Rover website still shows for the 2022 Defender 90 X that they have as standard equipment:
Head Up Display
Interactive Driver Display.

Is this correct info or has it changed and the Land Rover site has not been updated?

Quick Reply: Digital Dash Shortage