Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you use the HOLD function

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 09:31 AM
4wd Low
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Do you use the HOLD function

Just a curiosity. Couple weeks in and I am not sure about this function. Wondering if others got used to it and love it - pretend you are driving a Tesla - or do you shut it off and let her roll?

Old 01-20-2022, 09:47 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

I live in CO, so lots of hills even in the city, hell even my neighborhood. So I use the hold function and enjoy it. My previous car didn't have it, so I suppose I stuck with it initially just because it was different, and now I barely notice it. For comparison, my SO has an Audi, the hold function in her q3 seems to take much more to release the hold meaning you either hit a button or really give it a bit gas to "break free" so to say. I really dislike the feature in her car.

Old 01-20-2022, 10:23 AM
Mudding
Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm coming from a Tesla so naturally I love it. At lights, I can relax my leg a bit. It's also very nice for hills and stopping at inclines.

Old 01-20-2022, 10:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

I hate it and I seem to be unable to figure out how to permanently disable it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kev M:
GrouseK9 (01-20-2022), merrion13 (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 11:01 AM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
I hate it and I seem to be unable to figure out how to permanently disable it.
i don’t like it either but I guess it’s useful in Hill county as Nick4 mentioned. I disabled it as soon as I got home on day one. If I recall it’s on the Home settings menu where you can disable it. Once you turn it off it should never annoy you again.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

I initially thought HOLD unnecessary and silly, until I took the vehicle off-road.

Here, I quickly learned through experience that HOLD is an integrated feature with the off-road throttle sensitivity, differential clutches and individual braking controls, which enables the driver to NOT have to add excessive throttle on hill starts or use two feet on the pedals to hold the vehicle in place as the brakes pedal is released.

HOLD enables the driver to very slowly and steadily add throttle, as the vehicle uses differential braking to release each tire as equal traction is found by the differential clutches -- making the vehicle go smoothly forward.

All part of the new driving approach necessary to get the most out of the vehicle off-road. Enjoy !!

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 11:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMoke
i don’t like it either but I guess it’s useful in Hill county as Nick4 mentioned. I disabled it as soon as I got home on day one. If I recall it’s on the Home settings menu where you can disable it. Once you turn it off it should never annoy you again.

I've tried that multiple times but it keeps coming back.

I wonder if we've got a setting wrong or maybe it's cause I don't know if we're signed into in-control (though we must be cause the wife started it with the app in the mountains the other day).

But we also had this weird problem with the dimmer setting on the way home from VT. When the daylight was a little dim it would go into night mode and nothing wet tried would bring back the dash or PIVI brightness.

We tried every setting in the menus we could find and no joy until there was enough daylight again.

Last edited by Kev M; 01-20-2022 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Kev, I wonder if it keeps coming back because you're pressing the brake pedal hard enough to initiate it at a stop. I believe that even when Hold is turned off in settings, it will turn back on for that particular stop if you press the brake pedal down harder than whatever their threshold setting is. It took me a while to figure that out on mine, but now I'm conscious about my heavy foot and it works as it should (aka doesn't turn on when I don't want it to).

Kev M (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 12:53 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by robn
Kev, I wonder if it keeps coming back because you're pressing the brake pedal hard enough to initiate it at a stop. I believe that even when Hold is turned off in settings, it will turn back on for that particular stop if you press the brake pedal down harder than whatever their threshold setting is. It took me a while to figure that out on mine, but now I'm conscious about my heavy foot and it works as it should (aka doesn't turn on when I don't want it to).
I disabled mine as its a bit of a tight fit into the garage currently and trying to inch forward with the hold on was brutal. It has not returned since I disabled it.

Kev M (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 01:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Interested here as well. I also need to inch into a tight garage spot -- but with hold on it gets a little jerky / abrupt.

I turn off ENHANCED HILL HOLD On the Home Screen, but the Defender (P400 MHEV) still holds. Sigh. Have RTFM etc but no dice so far. I like it as a feature for driving, stop and go traffic, and esp for off-roading when climbing hills - but definitely *not* when I'm parking. I've hit my trash cans a few times because of it. I need to park about 1" from the cans (in front of the car) to have room to close the garage door behind me.

And yes I am thinking of building a new bigger garage because this is ridiculously tight!

Kev M (01-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Do you use the HOLD function