2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you wave/acknowledge at other Defender drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 05:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedaHobby
I have a Jeep Wrangler now. With Wrangler drivers, the wave is a whole "thing". Its part of the culture and it does not carry over to the other Jeep models in my experience. Wranglers wave 80%+ of the time. My other car is an Alfa Romeo 4C which is not too common. I have only encountered a handful of these while out on the road, but a quick wave usually gets a response in kind. For that car, I suspect it's shorthand for "you also like unreliable cars." ...so maybe there is hope for a Land Rover wave.
Love the 4C. I had an 1994 Alfa Spider Veloce CE (Commemorative Edition) - last year they were imported and always got a wave from other Alfa owners. Sold it and picked up a Maserati GranSport Spyder and very seldom, if ever, do I get a wave (I actually posted about this years ago on a Maserati forum - why no wave?).

Where I live, a wave at other Defenders more often than not results in a confused look. On the other hand, my daughter's Jeep Wrangler results in constant two finger salutes when driven.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm at 2 for 5 in receiving a wave back/flash of the headlights in the Defender. Have gotten a few thumbs ups from some 4runners and Broncos though. Back in my Subaru WRX/Ford Focus RS days, I was battling an 80% wave back rate.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:46 AM
Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a Jeep wrangler and always wave, get about 80% waves back!

I'll have to try it one day with my son's Defender, haha!....But there are not that many Defenders around here (Southeast Michigan)

Old 02-24-2022, 10:06 AM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

I've had just two Defender sightings, both parked, in 8 months driving mine in NM and southern CO, so zero opportunities to wave at one.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:54 PM
Drifting
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I drove a Grand Wagoneer for a number of years and always got a wave from other GW drivers, as well as similar vintage Cherokee and Gladiator drivers. Of course, the VW bus community's peace sign (in place of a wave) is probably the most famous and reliable.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:08 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinkin same

Funny. I think most owners i see on road (Los Angeles) are way to pretentious bunch to wave, and are definitely NOT on this forum, haha. Well maybe a couple peeps like me.

I also own a 90’s VW Vanagon/Westfalia and when we see another on the road we nearly crash into each other in excitement honking/waving/gangster ”VW” hand signs to each other.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:16 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicleboy
Funny. I think most owners i see on road (Los Angeles) are way to pretentious bunch to wave, and are definitely NOT on this forum, haha. Well maybe a couple peeps like me.

I also own a 90’s VW Vanagon/Westfalia and when we see another on the road we nearly crash into each other in excitement honking/waving/gangster ”VW” hand signs to each other.
I was going to respond similarly with what I've experienced here. Two encounters out in one of our wealthier suburbs and both times neither would even dare to look over to give me the time of day. Felt like I had encroached on their exclusive territory. I'm wondering if my D90 was considered inferior to their 110s. 🙄

Old 02-24-2022, 07:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by JMF20
I'm wondering if my D90 was considered inferior to their 110s. 🙄
As a 110 owner I can answer that.

Absolutely.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (02-25-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 09:39 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nogabiker
as a 110 owner i can answer that.

Absolutely.
lol 😂

Old 02-25-2022, 07:26 AM
Mudding
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedaHobby
I have a Jeep Wrangler now. With Wrangler drivers, the wave is a whole "thing". Its part of the culture and it does not carry over to the other Jeep models in my experience. Wranglers wave 80%+ of the time. My other car is an Alfa Romeo 4C which is not too common. I have only encountered a handful of these while out on the road, but a quick wave usually gets a response in kind. For that car, I suspect it's shorthand for "you also like unreliable cars." ...so maybe there is hope for a Land Rover wave.
That's awesome! Our 'Fun Car' is also a 4C. Had a Lotus Elise for a few years before moving to the Alfa. Once you drive a car so focused on the driver experience you're forever ruined for anything else... Ironically, both the Lotus and Alfa have been some of the most reliable cars I've ever owned!

Quick Reply: Do you wave/acknowledge at other Defender drivers?