2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draining water from the frame. Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 01:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

DId you try a shop vac?

Old 05-23-2022, 01:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

Gavin, you didnt get this upgrade in your defender?

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 01:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by racerpeter
Your question actually reminded me of an issue that's on my list to report to the dealership next time I bring it in. Some of you may remember this post about my hitch receiver install. During that process, I actually discovered some rust that I am almost sure came from a leaky cooler situation of my own.

When removing the stock bumper from the frame, my buddy, who was helping me, got doused with rusty water that had somehow gotten into one of the bolt holes in the OEM bumper and failed to drain on its own, causing one of the bumper bolts to start rusting. The bumper itself was unaffected, being made of aluminum, as was the attachment point at the frame, which looked like it was powder coated (not totally sure). I was a bit surprised that the bolt was rusting, since it appeared to be galvanized. But I guess even a galvanized bolt can rust when surrounded by water long enough.

To me, this seems like a design flaw -- that water would be allowed to enter a structural area of the frame with no way to get out. Would it have eventually evaporated? Maybe. I don't recall how long it was between the cooler incident and the hitch receiver install.

I wish I had an answer to the original question, but unfortunately I suspect this water would have sat right where it was for quite a while, perhaps indefinitely, had I not done the hitch receiver install. Needless to say, I'm now very careful about letting water loose in the trunk area.

I'll report back after I raise the issue with the dealership, probably some time this summer.

Looks like galvanic corrosion. Small bits of galvanized steel will rust where they contact larger pieces of metal with a different electrical potential (aluminum included). Usually occurs in high humidity and near-seashore environments.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 05-23-2022 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,302 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S
DId you try a shop vac?
I didn't. But may do. I'll try an see if there is much left at this point. None to see. I'm hoping the laws of thermodynamics will allow it to simply dry out over time. I was thinking I could suggest to my better half that we need to drive to Moab as the drying is really good there.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:44 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S
Gavin, you didnt get this upgrade in your defender?

One more reason I should not have ordered the 7 seater.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:29 PM
Winching
Received 611 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC

Glad I could brighten your day mate.
Appreciate it. But reading your issue again, perhaps there is a confusion of terms. Your question about a drain plug in the frame, then your description of the problem makes me think you were referring to the floor pans in the rear storage area or under seat areas. Only problem with that brings to mind watching boats at the ramp launching without putting the drain plug back in after the last outing. Would hate to think of someone repeating that with their Defender, then driving through several feet of water. That’s why prudent boaters use a carabiner to hook the drain plug onto the key ring for the boat engine. Hard to miss that when launching. Good luck drying it out. Maybe direct a large fan into cargo area, leaving all the doors open.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

When I dug around in the boot, I noticed a number of rubber "blind grommets". If you pulled one, it would let the water out (and in!). But I think he's also talking about the unibody frame. For that and the other assorted nooks and crannies, I've got no idea. I suspect they are all pretty well sealed. But, fwiw - I agree with @_Allegedly . It could very well be galvanic corrosion from humidity. Not sure where you are, but if that's an option - that may be it.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:57 PM
Pro Wrench

No. There's no water in the rear or anything like that. It dripped slowly under where the jack is stored. The 7 seater has no good stowage area like the 5. Everything is dry. The water is beneath it all, dispersed hither and yon it would seem.

My foolish thinking was that there may be a low point where design of the frame dictates water would pool. Perhaps the smart JLR boffins had placed a drain plug there. (Similar to one in an oil sump) This could be accessed, removed and replaced as needed.

GrouseK9 (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 11:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Looks like galvanic corrosion.
Yeah, that makes sense

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Usually occurs in high humidity and near-seashore environments.
Yeah, I'd say the humidity was definitely there. About 15-30ml of water sitting in that cavity for who knows how long.

GrouseK9 (05-24-2022)