Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Mode - Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 04:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Driving Mode - Which One?

I've been experimenting with the various driving modes for around town travel (Auto, Comfort, and Eco) and modes when I'm on the trails (grass, mud and sand). I honestly haven't noticed real differences. I tend to keep it in auto and let the truck sort it out for itself. Has anyone found the need or benefit from selecting a mode other than "auto"?

Old 06-13-2022, 06:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

In town, I cannot tell the difference between comfort and eco, either. Auto is a great default on pavement, particularly if the roads get wet or a bit snowy.

Comfort off-road is to be avoided -- that one IMO is for asphalt use only.

For light duty off-roading or transitioning between pavement and gravel roads, Auto works well.

If you drive on your lawn or a grassy field, grass/gravel/snow does a fine job of greatly retarding the throttle response so you do not damage the turf.

If / as you progress beyond what I noted off-road, you will find that pre-setting the correct mode before you enter a medium or very challenging off-road situation will enable the vehicle to react more quickly and complete the obstacle more effectively and confidently.

Enjoy!

The following 3 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
Elektrapops (06-13-2022), POPTOPP (06-13-2022), Rov3rGal (06-15-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 09:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

interesting, in town, I mostly drive my 21 P300 on Sport mode, not sure I feel much difference between Sport and Comfort. But for me Eco mode accelerates noticeably slower than Sport/Comfort. And on the highway, Eco mode gets significantly better gas mileage than Sport/Comfort ( I drove from New Orleans to Los Angeles and back, so had plenty of miles to test it, I think I posted my findings).

As far as the off road settings, when I was in Big Bend and Joshua Tree parks a few weeks ago, I experimented with some of the different modes, while I didn't "feel" any differences, I found myself giggling when I looked at the display and could see the dif's locking and unlocking, etc., when I hit the gas on sand, dirt and gravel. Never had this kind of tech and thought it was pretty cool. Maybe if it's working right, you're not supposed to feel the differences, the Defender just does its thing?

The following users liked this post:
Rov3rGal (06-15-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 09:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by brydup
. And on the highway, Eco mode gets significantly better gas mileage than Sport/Comfort ( I drove from New Orleans to Los Angeles and back, so had plenty of miles to test it, I think I posted my findings).
Hmmm. Noted: I need to run a long-distance gas mileage comparison for Eco vs Auto on my next long trip.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

I found myself giggling when I looked at the display and could see the dif's locking and unlocking, etc., when I hit the gas on sand, dirt and gravel. Never had this kind of tech and thought it was pretty cool. Maybe if it's working right, you're not supposed to feel the differences, the Defender just does its thing?[/QUOTE]

In all driving conditions the clutches acting within the differentials and the auto-action of the brakes cannot be felt.

But, when you get into more challenging off-road driving, you will feel the change in shift points, throttle application, rpms, and in how willing is the Defender to spin the wheels. The resulting yawing of the vehicle will be felt.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

JLR have really thought of everything.

Who needs a 130?

Activate Limousine mode!

This post had me thinking about TR2 and the configurable TR options.

My mind always goes to off-road scenarios. But what about on-road.

I've not done it but I wonder if setting up an unComfort mode in TR2 with the center and rear diffs unlocked all the time. Essentially converting a full time 4WD to a RWD 2WD. Would there be any fuel savings. Probably not but just thought I'd share my nonsensical musings. Watching the diffs unlock and lock in regular on-road driving is always interesting. I'm sure there are myriad downsides. I might just do it for science.

Last edited by GavinC; 06-13-2022 at 11:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
POPTOPP (06-14-2022), TrioLRowner (06-16-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 04:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 432 Likes on 202 Posts

To my knowlegde the P300, P400, P525 have all fulltime 4wd.
Only the Diesels 6 cillinder D200/250/300 have intelligent 4 wheel drive.
Disconnects front driveline & axle ( Saves a massive of 1,9% fuel )

So changing modes will not affect much I think.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

Give me: "Teenager is driving my Defender" mode!

The following users liked this post:
Huc (08-08-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 10:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

So Im clearly an idiot, but I only have the ability to select eco and comfort, how or where is Auto? lol

This truck is smarter than me... and I think I like it

Old 06-14-2022, 10:59 AM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Owner's manual states....To select the AUTO terrain response setting, press and hold the terrain response button for longer than 2 seconds.

The touchscreen displays a confirmation message to confirm that the AUTO terrain response setting has been selected.

The suspension height raises automatically if the AUTO terrain response setting and low range are both selected.

Quick Reply: Driving Mode - Which One?