2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Battery Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 07:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Well done! I'm always intrigued by the second battery systems but don't have the engineering chops for it. In fact, the summit of my electrical education involved peeing and an electric fence... But that story is for a campfire and some alcohol. For those of us with stunted educations, perhaps you can list the details of what you've used (with specs/links would be crazy helpful - thanks!). Good luck on the rest of the build and love the pics.

Old 05-25-2023, 08:10 AM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I will put together a list, that is a good idea. I will leave off all of the items that I bought that ended up not being part of the final. Like I said, a ton of trial and error! 😀

As for peeing on an electric fence, I will have to admit to doing the same. Spent some of my younger years on a dairy farm, and I think that is a rite of passage.

Old 05-25-2023, 08:16 AM
Pro Wrench

Wow!! You are the first that shares that life journey with me. Angus farm here, but it was a pig pen.

Old 05-25-2023, 10:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

Well done. Much neater looking than my install. Looks like you don't have the MEHV stuff which gave you more room.

Some ideas for you for the ignition wire. Take a look at this Device along with this wiring loom. This will enable you to avoid having to do a fuse tap or mess with the factory wiring. Plus you can use it to trigger additional lights if you install them.

As for a solar panel take a look at this. I have a cascadia4x4 solar panel, similar to the Lensun solar. Don't use cascadia4x4 as there panels have poor quality control and my doesn't quite work right but it is already stuck on my hood.

Old 05-25-2023, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Thanks @Adamalli ! That device is very interesting. I may also use it for my SwitchPros that I installed for my offroad lights.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:01 AM
Drifting

Here is a Word doc that has the whole list of items I used, including some tools that I didn't have when I began this adventure. I am also attaching a .pdf file that has some diagrams and links to parts I used.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
House Battery Install.docx (18.2 KB, 41 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Md-dave:
AAJR (05-27-2023), GrouseK9 (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 10:20 AM
Pro Wrench

Awesome post to the community!! Thanks.

Old 05-27-2023, 02:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamalli
Well done. Much neater looking than my install. Looks like you don't have the MEHV stuff which gave you more room.

Some ideas for you for the ignition wire. Take a look at this Device along with this wiring loom. This will enable you to avoid having to do a fuse tap or mess with the factory wiring. Plus you can use it to trigger additional lights if you install them.

As for a solar panel take a look at this. I have a cascadia4x4 solar panel, similar to the Lensun solar. Don't use cascadia4x4 as there panels have poor quality control and my doesn't quite work right but it is already stuck on my hood.
Could you explain a bit more about how the CANM8 CANNECT IDR8 you linked (which goes to this link: https://www.canm8.com/can-bus-interf...anm8-idr8.html) works and how it is used to deal with the ignition wire? This might be obvious to some
, but I'm having a hard time trying to sort out how is used for this purpose.

Old 05-27-2023, 11:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Poke around on there website. They have lots of different versions of this thing. How it works is by reading the hi and low canbus signals from the car and then it triggers an output of 12vdc, which could be used to run a relay. Not sure how familiar you are with canbus but it is one of the communication signal the vehicle uses to talk to all the onboard computers and sensors. A common example of what this could be used for is if you wanted additional highbeams mounted in your grill. This device would sense the signal of you turning the highbeams on, or them automatically turning on if you have that feature, and then send a 12v signal out the output wire which could be used to close a relay to turn on your additional lights. Basically it makes accessories work as if they are part of the factory wiring.

So in your case you would want to make sure you got one of the products that has the ignition signal sensing. You would then take the output wire for that and attach it to whatever needs that signal. I am guessing that would be your dc2dc charger.

Old 05-27-2023, 11:30 PM
Three Wheeling

You could do the above with fuse tap. There is a fuse in the boot fuse box, I think it is the top left fuse, that is only on when the ignition is on. But you have to drill/file a hole to get the wire out. The canbus solutions much cleaner.

Quick Reply: Dual Battery Thread