Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Battery Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 11:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamalli
Poke around on there website. They have lots of different versions of this thing. How it works is by reading the hi and low canbus signals from the car and then it triggers an output of 12vdc, which could be used to run a relay. Not sure how familiar you are with canbus but it is one of the communication signal the vehicle uses to talk to all the onboard computers and sensors. A common example of what this could be used for is if you wanted additional highbeams mounted in your grill. This device would sense the signal of you turning the highbeams on, or them automatically turning on if you have that feature, and then send a 12v signal out the output wire which could be used to close a relay to turn on your additional lights. Basically it makes accessories work as if they are part of the factory wiring.

So in your case you would want to make sure you got one of the products that has the ignition signal sensing. You would then take the output wire for that and attach it to whatever needs that signal. I am guessing that would be your dc2dc charger.
Originally Posted by Adamalli
You could do the above with fuse tap. There is a fuse in the boot fuse box, I think it is the top left fuse, that is only on when the ignition is on. But you have to drill/file a hole to get the wire out. The canbus solutions much cleaner.
Thank you very much. After I posted I looked into it, your explanation summarizes what I read very well, thank you. I've sent an email to the guys at Canm8 to ask about doing a potential custom one (which apparently they do), for my Defender. Interestingly, they also have a contactless reader, which allows you put their canbus reader in a way that does not require you to cut any of the canbus wiring or to use the wiring loom expansion splitter from powerfuluk (not that there is anything wrong with that way of doing it, I just think it would be a slightly cleaner way of doing it).

Thank you for posting this, learned a lot today about this and hopefully I can put it to use as I design my dual batter set up.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:50 AM
Mudding
Received 103 Likes on 44 Posts

This is a great thread with tons of information. I am headed down the path of a second battery system mainly to power a refrigerator. However I think I want to add a couple lights in the interior and maybe the ability to charge a phone or two. Lots of great ideas her. I do have one question I am hoping someone will have insight on.

Has anyone tried two small 12v batteries with maybe a 50ah rating connected in parallel to make the system still 12v and to double the capacity? My thought is maybe two small batteries would open up more mounting options with the MHEV components? Maybe this is not possible? I know you can hook deep cycle batteries in series to increase voltage like my golf cart but is there issues doing parallel?

Ok several questions. Also does it have to be deep cycle batteries? I understand the use of them for RV applications but in a system that gets charged every time your vehicle is running would a standard 12v auto or even motorcycle battery work?

Last edited by ORDPA; 04-01-2024 at 11:03 AM.