Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamat door insulation

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 08:09 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Dynamat door insulation

Is it okay to add dynamat to the doors of the 110?
I’m worried it may eventually lead to rust.

what are your thoughts. I already added butyl based insulation( dynamat) and closed cell foam to two of the doors but now am very concerned this decision might bite me later on.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Doors are aluminum aren't they?

Old 10-13-2021, 08:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Geesus, is the Defender so loud that you need to add Dynamat? What is the purpose here?

The following users liked this post:
SilverSFR (01-07-2024)
Old 10-13-2021, 09:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

I gotta agree with Stillruns here and maybe save the OP some wasted time and money. I've owned multiple super high end luxury and sports cars of almost all makes. I believe the Defender (at least mine), is one of the quietest vehicles I've ever owned. I have also used Dynamat, Stinger Mat, and a couple other brands that escape my memory at the moment in some previous cars years back and it did NOTHING noticeable to the sound, vibration, or feeling of driving those cars. It was a waste of time and money.......

Old 10-13-2021, 09:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

​​​​​​It's great to kill vibrations from an audio system and helps smooth out the sound. Tighter punchier bass, improved mid-range, clarity of vocals, reduced distortion...

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
AvoTow (10-15-2021), starbai (10-13-2023)
Old 10-14-2021, 01:33 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Exactly, allegedly. I want to do this because I want the sound system to perform better and most of the sound I hear in the cab seems to becoming through the doors.
I have already done dynamat and 150 mil foam as I mentioned before
i plan on looking in to using mass loaded vinyl from Home Depot that is 2lb per sq ft.
the construction of the defenders door is so unlike anything else.

_Allegedly (10-14-2021)
Old 10-13-2023, 12:49 PM
Mudding
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericlockheed
Exactly, allegedly. I want to do this because I want the sound system to perform better and most of the sound I hear in the cab seems to becoming through the doors.
I have already done dynamat and 150 mil foam as I mentioned before
i plan on looking in to using mass loaded vinyl from Home Depot that is 2lb per sq ft.
the construction of the defenders door is so unlike anything else.
Did ya ever end up doing any MLV in the defender? I've looked into this, but one of the concerns I have is the chemical make up of sme of the MLV in the market. When it gets heated up (I live in FL) I undestand it not only gives off a strongish smell, but that the fumes could be toxic? Therefore need some sort of automotive grade MLV but not sure how to identify that.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dynamat is high quality. I installed in on my peft rear door and trunk. The doors are noticeably less tinny. When i find the time ( unfortunately, i dont think i will), ill do the remaining three doors and maybe some other bits.

Maybe ill get a pro to finish it up for me who knows. The car has been in high temps (def 100 degrees or thereabout.) and i didn't notice any fumes.

BOL

Old 01-04-2024, 01:28 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have similar issues but front passenger seat

Last edited by skarface007; 01-04-2024 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Wrong section
Old 01-04-2024, 03:07 PM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

some of these comments are so entertaining. Whoever mentioned the Defender being the quietest car out of his luxury cars. That is so far from the truth

Sit inside a full size range rover or new sport and you will experience luxury

back to topic. i have fully insulated my defender with a dynamat type of product and acoustic foam and has made a significant difference in audio quality and reduction of road noise. The intention was to improve audio as i was planning for a big aftermarket install but was very pleasantly surprised to see how much it quieted the cabin down.

if you ever take off the door panels ( which is really easy) you will see a cost cutting attempt of JLR and they have added very small pieces to begin with.

OP, if you have question PM me. i would not hesitate to do it. you can find great cheaper options on Amazon and it’s not difficult to do

Ratledge (01-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Dynamat door insulation