Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eeking out a few more MPG by turning auto climate off

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 03:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Eeking out a few more MPG by turning auto climate off

This past week, Gavin C convinced me to try using Eco and speed limiter mode on my long trip down to Bend. It made a big difference. My wife then decided to play with the heat controls and took the Defender off of Auto Climate and my MPG jumped again. The change of course was taking auto off kills the A/C.
Ever since the auto climate was available in my cars/trucks, I have always used it without question because it prevented foggy windows. Since, turning off Auto Climate, I have seen a substantial increase in MPG in my P300. My driving style hasn't changed and for local trips, I am using the comfort setting. I am now averaging close to 20-21 in City. I can get around 23 on the highway.

If you are struggling with MPG, try killing the Auto Climate and see if it makes a difference.

The following 3 users liked this post by ADVAW8S:
GavinC (02-25-2022), GrouseK9 (02-24-2022), XCELLER8 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 04:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Makes sense, as Auto runs the compressor summer or winter, almost constantly, which in my rememberance is worth 1.5 or so MPGs. In my first automobile with auto temp control, I recall being warned to run it because otherwise the compressor could fail because it wasn't being lubricated -- or some such story. For the first several years, I could not stomach running the compressor when it was cold outside -- it made no sense to prior training.

Then I recall in my head that electric steering is worth 0.75 to 1 MPG improvement over hydraulic steering (and that they had a really hard time making it feel as sensitive as hydraulic steering); and the auto shut off thing is worth 1 MPG or so in city traffic. I then learned that my foot did not actually connect to the engine in my father in law's Toyota, but to a computer -- which I learned when Toyota had their self-accelerating car issues. That was scary.

Then weight takeout is another chunk of improvement and engine size reduction is another, new effort -- all in a global attempt to meet California rqmts (now adopted by others I suppose). Etc. etc.

Now Electric is coming and I am in denial. So it goes.....

Enjoy !

The following users liked this post:
NoGaBiker (02-24-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 05:39 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

FWIW I have been getting better MPG running in auto than using ECO.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:24 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S
This past week, Gavin C convinced me to try using Eco and speed limiter mode on my long trip down to Bend. It made a big difference. My wife then decided to play with the heat controls and took the Defender off of Auto Climate and my MPG jumped again. The change of course was taking auto off kills the A/C.
Ever since the auto climate was available in my cars/trucks, I have always used it without question because it prevented foggy windows. Since, turning off Auto Climate, I have seen a substantial increase in MPG in my P300. My driving style hasn't changed and for local trips, I am using the comfort setting. I am now averaging close to 20-21 in City. I can get around 23 on the highway.

If you are struggling with MPG, try killing the Auto Climate and see if it makes a difference.
After reading your post, I decided to look into my own driving habits. This is easily done if you use the Land Rover Remote app. Go to the ‘Journeys’ tab and review your past trips.You’ll be surprised. I found I was getting 23 mpg on some trips, and I’m sure that number would go up with a more gentle right foot. Other trips, usually short runs around town returned 16 mpg.Also found that higher speeds tend to give worse mileage. Most likely due to the Defender’s somewhat boxy lines. A trip to the airport, 45 miles, on the highway at 80-ish speeds returned far less than a shorter trip of 15 miles at speeds of 40 mph or so. The main thing I’ve learned is that your right foot is the biggest factor. I love the throttle response, the engine sound, the acceleration. But all of those add up to poor mileage. I attempt to moderate my driving habits but it is usually doesn’t last too long. I suggest trying to drive for a few days like someone’s Grandmother, no offense to Grandmothers just seemed like the best comparison, and you will be very surprised.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S

This Gavin C sounds like a smart bloke. Probably devilishly handsome too. Some folks get all the luck.

I will try the anti-auto-A/C tomorrow with baited breath. I usually keep it synced at 70F in the cab and have it set to low air flow as I'm a cheap bastard.

Granny driving is also the key. Anything north of about 1700rpm and the mileage tanks. 65mph on the flat seems to be the golden area.

I tried the corollary too. Raced up to Snoqualmie pass like a deranged idiot one morning and managed to get my mileage over the 55miles into the high 14's averaging ~60mph. Driving the same uphill route like a coffin-dodger from 90' to 3100' has me in the 18's. (The descent is gravy BTW, 23+mpg)

100 mile plus trip to the Canadian border last week and I got into the lofty 21's. (engine shut off at the border as I stuck it in park and use the auto off feature) Next leg to Squamish lunch was similarly Greta-Thurberg-esque. Last leg up to Whistler was not so favorable.

A celebratory poutine nonetheless.

With a truck this lithe and aerodynamic (rack with ski rack and skis) it's important to eke the best out of it and drive to its strengths.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:32 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

LOL!!
We'd all get better MPG with a few less cheese burgers!!
Enjoy the ride!

Matt

Originally Posted by GavinC
This Gavin C sounds like a smart bloke. Probably devilishly handsome too. Some folks get all the luck.

I will try the anti-auto-A/C tomorrow with baited breath. I usually keep it synced at 70F in the cab and have it set to low air flow as I'm a cheap bastard.

Granny driving is also the key. Anything north of about 1700rpm and the mileage tanks. 65mph on the flat seems to be the golden area.

I tried the corollary too. Raced up to Snoqualmie pass like a deranged idiot one morning and managed to get my mileage over the 55miles into the high 14's averaging ~60mph. Driving the same uphill route like a coffin-dodger from 90' to 3100' has me in the 18's. (The descent is gravy BTW, 23+mpg)

100 mile plus trip to the Canadian border last week and I got into the lofty 21's. (engine shut off at the border as I stuck it in park and use the auto off feature) Next leg to Squamish lunch was similarly Greta-Thurberg-esque. Last leg up to Whistler was not so favorable.

A celebratory poutine nonetheless.

With a truck this lithe and aerodynamic (rack with ski rack and skis) it's important to eke the best out of it and drive to its strengths.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Well I did my best on the way back home today from a morning of skiing to eke out as much as I could from a fuel economy standpoint.

Turning the auto A/C off, using the speed limiter, ECO mode, and letting inclines slow my progress while keeping the revs in the sweet spot resulted in some improvements. Granted this is a downhill run. 3000' descent over 55miles or so. Still a bit of an uptick though.

Gonna dust off my Zimmer-frame and celebrate like t'were 1949.

The following users liked this post:
ADVAW8S (03-02-2022)