2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020 | 08:00 PM

Yea ours connects to wifi every time we pull in the driveway. I think you guys are missing the point to an extent though. The fact that these cars are "new" to the scene and having already had to be updated 3 times is the real issue. Not to mention, every one is different it seems. Ours is a pain in the *** to say the least. Some agree with me about theirs, some don't. That is fine. Some update right and never have issues. It just floors me that a "luxury" brand has this many issues and complaints.

Ours was built in April 2020, so maybe that is the cause of most of our issues? I don't know, and frankly I don't care. It is a good thing my wife loves this thing, or it would have been gone after week 1! But she is determined to keep it and simply take it back every time, for all issues except for the updates. I'm not so forgiving. But I digress.

Old 12-10-2020 | 08:33 PM
Mudding

Oh sorry I did miss the point and I do see your point. It is disappointing to have these issues to be sorted out on initial owners. I do think it is a strange year with factory shutdowns and the pandemic but yes they could have delayed delivery also. Hope you can get your software updated-doesn’t sou d like your dealer has been able to help much.

Old 12-10-2020 | 09:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Freemey
Hi guys- did you see software explanation email put out this morning by Landrover? It does a pretty good job of explaining the process. I think a key point is that you need a properly set up “In Control” account to leverage the built in 4G connection for updates OR you need to connect to Wi-FI at home at night to get updates. There is a thread called annoying software updates that basically chronicles many others experiences on this point. I added a spreadsheet of my observations there which I keep adding to and actually send to my dealer.

I think most of us would say the updates have been a good thing as our cars now perform more like the manual. We also seem to agree that dealers appear in the dark about this process to some extent. I have not had drivability issues with my P300 but have seen much improvement in the Pivi Pro and some safety features such as Lane Keep Assist. For my two cents I would immediately get my vehicle connected to Wi-FI (SETTINGS>CONNECTIVITY) and then search for available updates(SETTINGS>SOFTWARE UPDATES).

I was an early October delivery and have since received 2.0.4, 2.0.5 and 2.0.6. Not to mention numerous “Live App” updates. For me 2.0.4 stopped the odd British road signs and stabilized the system. The other two kept improving things.

Good Luck
Freemey:

Could you please post the note from JLR?

I do not have an in-control account nor connect to Wi-Fi at home -- but I still receive the "Lock the door and wait 40 minutes" updates -- I am at 2.0.6 now. Maybe I just don't use all the features (nor want them), so I am under some other updating approach?

(software is NOT my thing, sorry for my basic misunderstanding).

Old 12-11-2020 | 08:49 AM
Mudding

The JLR note which I have attached as screenshots just links one to the JLR web site owners information on software updates. It does show screenshots of the update process we have all been seeing. I felt it showed that they realized there is an issue with owners and updates and that they needed to communicate more about it. When I read into the article it made me think updates are linked to an In Control account or WiFi connection. I had previously thought and you prove it that the 4G connection for system updates was built in. It could be that an In Control account just deals with application or “Live Apps” updates to Pivi Pro.

JLR needs a better overall summary of the apparently two different types of software updates being sent to a vehicle so it is not so confusing for us. In Control accounts COULD just be about the REMOTE app and some of those apps like weather, Deezer and Spotify. Which while cool I guess are features I won’t use. There isn’t a good summary that paints a picture of the whole plan other than a marketing type approach. We have to fill in the blanks ourselves and I think it is evident from the forum what happens. I think that would go a long way in ending confusion and frustration. Maybe even for dealers from what I read. Bottom line is the ability to send a software update for important vehicle features (not apps) is a great approach. Probably most manufacturers are going to do this. In a perfect world I would like to know it happened and get a summary of what changed but other than that I just want to drive the vehicle. Because of the hiccups in the process we are all pulled into troubleshooting ‘guessing without the benefit of background information.

As you point out what you notice depends on how you set up vehicle displays. I went digging for the advanced safety features and so I noticed. If I had just driven it with standard dials displayed and some driver info in front of me and left the infotainment as it came the only thing that would have caught my eye would have been the European road signs I initially received from the data base. Since we own a 2019 Discovery Sport I had expectations and down the rabbit hole I went. Now I have a setup I like and if things are not right in other areas I won’t notice because the vehicle runs great and I am ready to just use it and stop analyzing it.

This software feature conversation has overshadowed my other very nice experiences with the vehicle. It is what I wanted and is one of the better (for me) fit and finish and best organized control layouts I have owned. Not fussy and easy to get to. It is also a right sized SUV that is nimble for everyday driving and hauling. I like square I guess and while a vehicle shaped like a brick will never be very fuel efficient my 4 cylinder does fine living in low 20s for overall average. I do feel fortunate when I read of some mechanical issues some have had like the U-Tubers in Colorado TFL.

I do have to admit that I really find this site informative on a variety of issues and especially look forward to seeing what experiences are in the off-road area.

Just a brief summary of what many of us have seen with links to existing owners information page on website. Hopefully this is the start of some better communication to owners

The following users liked this post:
TrioLRowner (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020 | 08:53 AM
Mudding

Curious here-what caused it to shutdown on the highway? Thanks and good luck

Old 12-11-2020 | 10:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Freemey
The JLR note which I have attached as screenshots just links one to the JLR web site owners information on software updates. It does show screenshots of the update process we have all been seeing. I felt it showed that they realized there is an issue with owners and updates and that they needed to communicate more about it. When I read into the article it made me think updates are linked to an In Control account or WiFi connection. I had previously thought and you prove it that the 4G connection for system updates was built in. It could be that an In Control account just deals with application or “Live Apps” updates to Pivi Pro.

JLR needs a better overall summary of the apparently two different types of software updates being sent to a vehicle so it is not so confusing for us. In Control accounts COULD just be about the REMOTE app and some of those apps like weather, Deezer and Spotify. Which while cool I guess are features I won’t use. There isn’t a good summary that paints a picture of the whole plan other than a marketing type approach. We have to fill in the blanks ourselves and I think it is evident from the forum what happens. I think that would go a long way in ending confusion and frustration. Maybe even for dealers from what I read. Bottom line is the ability to send a software update for important vehicle features (not apps) is a great approach. Probably most manufacturers are going to do this. In a perfect world I would like to know it happened and get a summary of what changed but other than that I just want to drive the vehicle. Because of the hiccups in the process we are all pulled into troubleshooting ‘guessing without the benefit of background information.

As you point out what you notice depends on how you set up vehicle displays. I went digging for the advanced safety features and so I noticed. If I had just driven it with standard dials displayed and some driver info in front of me and left the infotainment as it came the only thing that would have caught my eye would have been the European road signs I initially received from the data base. Since we own a 2019 Discovery Sport I had expectations and down the rabbit hole I went. Now I have a setup I like and if things are not right in other areas I won’t notice because the vehicle runs great and I am ready to just use it and stop analyzing it.

This software feature conversation has overshadowed my other very nice experiences with the vehicle. It is what I wanted and is one of the better (for me) fit and finish and best organized control layouts I have owned. Not fussy and easy to get to. It is also a right sized SUV that is nimble for everyday driving and hauling. I like square I guess and while a vehicle shaped like a brick will never be very fuel efficient my 4 cylinder does fine living in low 20s for overall average. I do feel fortunate when I read of some mechanical issues some have had like the U-Tubers in Colorado TFL.

I do have to admit that I really find this site informative on a variety of issues and especially look forward to seeing what experiences are in the off-road area.

Just a brief summary of what many of us have seen with links to existing owners information page on website. Hopefully this is the start of some better communication to owners

Thanks for sharing, I really do appreciate it !! It is helpful to know enough to know that I know almost nothing about ware -- soft, firm, or hard.

Thus, I will happily go forward with the understanding that somehow, at any time, comes a signal out of the sky from somewhere within JLR to my turned off or running or driving car to change its behavior, which I guess means that the location of the car is able to be tracked and likely performance parameters can be monitored, info collected, and driving performance can be modified, etc, etc. It also means the car is never really off -- strange.

How the signal reaches the car when it is out of wi-fi signal range of a tower I do not know. How a Defender housed and used away from a wi-fi tower one wonders about how that vehicle participates.

But, ok .... I must just lock door when asked and leave the car alone to stay out of the way of whatever the fairy inside the vehicle wants to do. I got it.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 12-11-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2020 | 02:48 PM

I am curious as the cutting off on the highway part myself. That can't be an infotainment issue. Or maybe it can, I don't know. I hope not.

I will say, should ours stop in the middle of the highway in traffic, I don't care how much my wife loves this thing, it will be GONE! If she wants to worry about other issues, fine, but I won't jeopardize her safety.