Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excited but Anxious New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 10:31 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SAYenshaw
The only thing custom was the front windows were tinted. Everything else is stock. Terrible dealership BTW.....
Totally agree about the dealership experience! Really bad....I was referring to your actual build...Unique set of options on your Defender...

The following users liked this post:
SAYenshaw (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 10:38 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by NativeTexan
I owned Land Cruisers before our current P400, so reliability was a big concern for me, so I can relate.

I think pretty much all new car drivetrains are very reliable across all manufacturers. So I’m not worried about being stranded in anything really.

It’s the electronics for ancillary things that fail.

With that, I think LRs deserve owners who are willing to put alittle time and energy into figuring out how to source how to fix things. That creates some savings b/c LR as a brand is expensive if you just wanna go to a dealer and say figure it out and fix. There’s a premium for that with this brand.

But just like ih8mud being a great Toyota community, LR has that also, so I take comfort in that. I really only buy cars that have communities like this.

As a new owner, just get all your software up to date & just drive. Our car had the windshield sand noise thing but finally got fixed as LR finally has the redesigned part for warranty replacements. Also our driver rear door did the “sticky won’t open thing”, but again LR finally has the redesigned parts, so all is well.

I will say our DRL is out and we’re awaiting that replacement and that cost out of warranty is unsettling…but I’ve come to realize that these vehicles have a character that my 60,62,100,100, & 200 series Landcruiser didn’t have.

And now that Landcruisers command premium prices of $15-20k more than I think they should, I’m okay gambling with the Defenders future potential repair bills. That’s a wide delta for me to spend the same money in the end, or not…

I’d rather have the LR. It’s got better personality.

Enjoy the new ride : )
Reading your post, I too have the windshield/sand noise thing going on but only infrequently. I usually only hear it at speeds above 85mph. You mention a fix, was it the A-pillar issue? And, lo and behold, out of nowhere my rear drivers door just started sticking a few weeks ago. It takes an aggressive tug to get it open, seems like the weatherstripping is snagging. What did the dealer do to remedy it? Thanks.

Futen (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 11:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 116 Posts

Our 2021 110 P400 has been absolutely trouble-free and has only ever been back at the dealer for routine service. We love ours.

We've also seen features like wireless CarPlay and more added via OTA updates that weren't on the Defender when we bought it.

Land Rover did a really nice job with the Defender. We had an opportunity to sell ours for much more than we paid for it last year, and it was easy to say no.

The following 3 users liked this post by swajames:
Chrisbob (09-19-2023), ficklma1 (05-03-2023), Futen (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 12:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I've got a MY2022 X-Dynamic HSE that I picked up in June, 2021. I use it the same as @drcoop and @NoGaBiker - not as a primary driver. I have a beater Tahoe that I love putting "stupid miles" on. I recognize I'm fortunate enough to have parking space for them. Anyway, no problems to speak of. In the "I am my own Warranty" club, most of the small irritating rattles & hums I could figure out or rely on this community to point to. I did have them proactively take care of the PCV recall because I was already going to be by the Dealer and they handled it well. I paid $13 for the parts to do it myself, but I didn't want to spend the 30 minutes figuring out which plastic I was going to break.

In ~13k miles, I've done a number of trips around Texas and some that were a little "rough" on the Defender. Easily within its capabilities and mine. I plan to hold it a LONG time so I generally pamper it with maintenance. No problems yet, but I seriously expect them. As a long term Land Rover owner, I know that these are "high maintenance" vehicles. The electrics used to be made by Lucas and the motto was "Lucas, Prince of Darkness". I don't know who makes them today (Lee?), but I suspect they are just as flakey just more complex. These are NOT luxury vehicles contrary to the price. If you want luxury, get a Mercedes. If you want reliability, get a Toyota. If you want an iconic off-roading vehicle that you grow as attached to as your dog, get a Defender.

And condolences to all the folks who have trouble, problems, gremlins and aches with theirs. I wish you Godspeed with your Dealer or 3rd party.

Since this pic, I've pulled the Molle plates from the rear windows because they have crazy wind noise and I don't use them unless Overlanding and I've added rock sliders. I'll try to file a more recent pic next time.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 05-03-2023 at 12:40 PM.
mopadzi (05-04-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 09:15 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Reading your post, I too have the windshield/sand noise thing going on but only infrequently. I usually only hear it at speeds above 85mph. You mention a fix, was it the A-pillar issue? And, lo and behold, out of nowhere my rear drivers door just started sticking a few weeks ago. It takes an aggressive tug to get it open, seems like the weatherstripping is snagging. What did the dealer do to remedy it? Thanks.
both the windshield noise and rear sticky door have problems have been solved since the fixes (w/ part numbers) in the attached screen shot.

WAFOX (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 09:53 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by NativeTexan
both the windshield noise and rear sticky door have problems have been solved since the fixes (w/ part numbers) in the attached screen shot.

Thanks much for the response and the info. I will look into that in the near future, the part numbers are a big help.

Old 05-03-2023, 10:52 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

My rear driver side door is sticking like others have mentioned so I’ll be bringing it in soon now that I’ve seen what others have done to take care of it.

Old 05-04-2023, 06:07 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

2023 P300 here. I’ve had a few small issues like in a year of ownership I have not gotten the Pivo Pro to update to latest version but my dealership has been excellent to work with. I’ve owned many LR’s and knock on wood this is the most trouble free one I’ve owned so far. Knowing the brand so well I expect problems but as long as they aren’t major and the dealer is great to work with, I expect that a win lol.

I had 2 different LR’s give up an airbag and strand me 100’s of miles from home. Talk about a pain. Someone else mentioned Audi Allroads. I had one and absolutely loved the motor in in that car but it also gave up 2 airbags and they were not cheap. I’ve simply leaned over many years of vehicle ownership and a passion for it, to set expectations going in.

By the way I have done two long trips in the car and hands down it’s is the best and most comfortable LR I’ve owned for on road driving experience. I also recently did the LR Experience and was absolutely blow away at the capability of these vehicles.

Last edited by mlw911; 05-04-2023 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:53 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by mlw911
2023 P300 here. I’ve had a few small issues like in a year of ownership I have not gotten the Pivo Pro to update to latest version but my dealership has been excellent to work with. I’ve owned many LR’s and knock on wood this is the most trouble free one I’ve owned so far. Knowing the brand so well I expect problems but as long as they aren’t major and the dealer is great to work with, I expect that a win lol.

I had 2 different LR’s give up an airbag and strand me 100’s of miles from home. Talk about a pain. Someone else mentioned Audi Allroads. I had one and absolutely loved the motor in in that car but it also gave up 2 airbags and they were not cheap. I’ve simply leaned over many years of vehicle ownership and a passion for it, to set expectations going in.

By the way I have done two long trips in the car and hands down it’s is the best and most comfortable LR I’ve owned for on road driving experience. I also recently did the LR Experience and was absolutely blow away at the capability of these vehicles.
Not sure what you mean by ‘gave up an airbag’. Could you please explain?

Old 05-04-2023, 10:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Probably referring to air springs in the suspension. My 2002 allroad eventually had all 4 fail, but we never had any fail on our LR4's.

Quick Reply: Excited but Anxious New Owner