2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expedition rack and ladder questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 11:34 AM
Mudding
Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts

Front Runner has come out with 2 racks for the new defender depending on if u have the rails or not. If I buy one, I will go FR as they have tons of mounting options for other gear. I will carrying a roof top tent and awning. Hoping to have more real estate for Jerry cans and such.

Old 11-06-2020, 11:41 AM
Hat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Corsa
Going back and forth between just sticking with the less expensive cross-bars or springing for the expedition rack for our Defender build. I have until early November to make any changes... Further complicated by the thought that if I add the expedition rack I may as well add the ladder. I’ve seen one Defender with the ladder installed and it actually looked fairly substantial and well built. Anyone have one on their Defender that can share their impressions? Only caveat with the ladder is that once it’s mounted it’s not coming back off.
I have the expedition rack and ladder. Debated about the ladder but went for it, & glad I did, it's well made, solid, no rattling around; takes a minute to get the opening mechanism down (a minute of practice, that is) after which it's easy. The rack is also solid, and looks great through the sun roof (a nice interior surprise). One waits on parts made- to- fit it; I tend to just lash things on myself. You could also get the Front Runner after-market rack and install yourself; would save some $ and maybe have more immediate options for connecting gear storage.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:04 PM
Mudding
Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts

Picked up my new Defender yesterday!!! So excited. Am going to wait on some accessories until after first of the year but planning on ladder, Front Runner rack, lunch box, winch and underbody aluminum skid. about $9k! as the winch is almost $5k. They are on backorder right now, but should take about a month to arrive.

The following users liked this post:
DonMitsu (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 05:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

Really hoping ARB comes out with adapter rails for their new base rack to fit the Defender soon. If they are able to get it down low like some of the pictures show, it could be a great looking and highly functional alternative. The one thing I'm not crazy about with the LR rack is how it sticks up so high. Kind of looks like a top hat to me. ARB is also completely flat so curved bottom roof boxes like the one I have should fit better, as well as RTT's that might extend beyond the sides of the LR rack. ARB's side attachment also seems so much better than T-slots that require cutting of rubber inserts and the like, and you can route wires inside for lighting. Probably won't have the shaped look of the LR rack, but I kind of like the more industrial look of a straight rack anyway. Hope it's an alternative we can get look at soon.

Simon14 (06-11-2022)
Old 11-12-2020, 12:15 AM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

PowerfulUK posted an install video for the OEM ladder, which according to them could be fitted on either side of the car.

Last edited by umbertob; 11-12-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:24 AM
Mudding
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
PowerfulUK posted an install video for the OEM ladder, which according to them could be fitted on either side of the car.

https://youtu.be/4mwLQAtpRUY
I wish this video would have existed before I installed my ladder, they do a great job of pointing out possible issues and ways to save time.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:57 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Try watching the folks on Utube at PowerfulUK.com fir a ladder. It will give you an excellent feel for the ladder and it’s construction

Old 06-10-2022, 10:37 AM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone have recommendations for packing things on the Explorer rack? I have a Thule rooftop box that I used to use on my Velar on the cross rails, but since I have the Defender with the explorer rack, I wanted to know what others are using to pack things. I looked at other sites and saw the Wolf Pack Pro hard boxes and stratchits they have, but wasn't sure if that is the best for packing on the explorer rack. Thanks in advance!

Tim

Old 06-10-2022, 10:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,499 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by yocut33m
Does anyone have recommendations for packing things on the Explorer rack? I have a Thule rooftop box that I used to use on my Velar on the cross rails, but since I have the Defender with the explorer rack, I wanted to know what others are using to pack things. I looked at other sites and saw the Wolf Pack Pro hard boxes and stratchits they have, but wasn't sure if that is the best for packing on the explorer rack. Thanks in advance!

Tim

Thule Motion XT on OEM rack with a simple ~$5 mod.

More information in this thread

yocut33m (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 10:59 AM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Expedition rack and ladder questions