Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expedition Roof Rack + Ski Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 06:24 PM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Expedition Roof Rack + Ski Rack

I want to add ski racks to my expedition roof rack.

The ski rack says "The ski and snowboard carrier is designed to fit directly into the cross bar T-tracks and incorporates slider rails so the carrier can be extended for easy loading and unloading"

The roof rack says "It also comprises T-track bars to allow a variety of items to be attached. "

Dealers says it can't be done, the build site eliminates the expedition rack when adding the ski rack. But the parts description leads me to believe it's compatible...

Can someone confirm the compatibility with a photo? or an attempt and failure?

https://accessories.landrover.com/ie...roof-rack-110/

https://accessories.landrover.com/ie...#tertiary-tabs

Old 01-13-2022, 08:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

I ended up getting a cargo box for skis as set-up is fairly easy and with a small boot I can also get pack all the other goodies up there like outfits, boots, helmets etc. Maybe that’s a good option for you.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,499 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by DefenderDHG
I want to add ski racks to my expedition roof rack.

The ski rack says "The ski and snowboard carrier is designed to fit directly into the cross bar T-tracks and incorporates slider rails so the carrier can be extended for easy loading and unloading"

The roof rack says "It also comprises T-track bars to allow a variety of items to be attached. "

Dealers says it can't be done, the build site eliminates the expedition rack when adding the ski rack. But the parts description leads me to believe it's compatible...

Can someone confirm the compatibility with a photo? or an attempt and failure?

https://accessories.landrover.com/ie...roof-rack-110/

https://accessories.landrover.com/ie...#tertiary-tabs
Not sure about OEM ski rack but Thule Ski rack fits no worries. My guess is the OEM ski rack fits too as it is made by Thule and rebadged JLR.

The build site is a funny thing. Will not allow certain combos of certain very compatible things.

Thule Snopack Extender attached with Thule T bolts to OEM rack. The crossbars are Thule. The JLR crossbars are the same design as the cross bars in the Expedition rack. Thule Design

The following 4 users liked this post by GavinC:
Craig_RRS2013 (01-22-2023), GrouseK9 (01-14-2022), MattF (02-22-2022), sna77 (08-13-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Roof rack is made by Thule

All Thule stuff should fit, I use Thule T-bolts on my exped

ition roof rack

The following 4 users liked this post by DefenderSISU:
GavinC (02-23-2022), GrouseK9 (02-22-2022), MattF (02-22-2022), rossco_7 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 10:28 PM
4th Gear

Thanks everyone. I went to Rack Attack a local retailer and though they didn’t have what I needed they helped me figure out what to get. I got the Kuat Grip 6 ski racks and the Kuat Direct Mount Kit which makes it T track mountable. It’s low profile and looks great. Can barely tell they are there. The whole things leads me to believe that if it’s T track mountable is expedition roof rack ready and the website and dealers just don’t know.

Just to add the T track is so much easier to Mount to than the universal quick attach hardware the ski racks came with. With the T track, you insert a prefitted T bolt on the ski rack before installing and then slide it down the track and do the same with the second. Position them and then tighten it down. The quick attach mounts are cumbersome to get on and I worried about the whole Ski rack falling on the glass roof while I tried to install it. I much prefer the t track system.

The following 3 users liked this post by DefenderDHG:
GavinC (02-23-2022), GrouseK9 (08-13-2022), markjlr (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 12:07 AM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

That’s a damn good looking Defender! Wowza.

Thanks everyone. I went to Rack Attack a local retailer and though they didn’t have what I needed they helped me figure out what to get. I got the Kuat Grip 6 ski racks and the Kuat Direct Mount Kit which makes it T track mountable. It’s low profile and looks great. Can barely tell they are there. The whole things leads me to believe that if it’s T track mountable is expedition roof rack ready and the website and dealers just don’t know.

Just to add the T track is so much easier to Mount to than the universal quick attach hardware the ski racks came with. With the T track, you insert a prefitted T bolt on the ski rack before installing and then slide it down the track and do the same with the second. Position them and then tighten it down. The quick attach mounts are cumbersome to get on and I worried about the whole Ski rack falling on the glass roof while I tried to install it. I much prefer the t track system.

Old 02-24-2022, 05:43 PM
4th Gear
Old 02-24-2022, 05:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,499 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Ooooh. I like that low profile.

*ski rack envy intensifies

Old 08-13-2022, 08:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I see you have the sliding panoramic sunroof with the Grip 6. Do you mount skis or snowboards on it? Any clearance issues for bindings?

Any clearance issues with bindings while operating the roof? I realize operating the roof with skis mounted doesn't make a lot of sense, but I'm always concerned about avoiding bad consequences in case of accidental things!