Drifting
Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:33 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Just a thought, would removing those cause an issue with inspection or resale? I’ve done mods like this in the past and they’ve sometimes led to headaches including what to do with existing wiring. Anyway can’t wait to see results.
I suppose it could but here in California we only have VIN inspections when registering a car from out of state.. not sure how other states work. If the bulbs work and are just tucked in the fender then they can be put back in use with the non-gloss fender flares or the originals.

I'll spend some time on it this weekend. Would love to be able to modify these EU flares to fit these sidemarkers... here is the quote from Vulkan when I asked:

"Regarding the reflectors, we are still developing a solution that is 100% compliant with the regulations - our supplied reflectors are just reflectors (no lamps) and are all orange. It is possible to reuse the existing lamp reflectors, but you will need to cut a larger hole and adapt the existing wiring for the lamp. If you are able to use the arches without the reflectors for now, that would be our recommendation."

Old 01-19-2022, 10:56 AM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

do you find the smaller mud flap does it’s purpose? i have the classics on my other defender and they do an amazing job. prob more to prevent cars behind me getting splashed

Originally Posted by dj200
Those side marker lights are required by law in the US, but you do you.
The front lights are orange, the rears are red.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:31 AM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
do you find the smaller mud flap does it’s purpose? i have the classics on my other defender and they do an amazing job. prob more to prevent cars behind me getting splashed
I would say they’re just “ok”. In my case they don’t completely cover the tire due to the wheel offset and larger width tires.
Part of the mud flap is doing nothing (left side in photo), and the other side doesn’t cover the tire (right side in photo).
No big deal and better than nothing.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Extended arch protectors US spec painted gloss black to match X package trim.

The following 3 users liked this post by mikelr:
GrouseK9 (01-20-2022), RogueClimber (01-19-2022), Xm83 (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 07:23 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelr
Extended arch protectors US spec painted gloss black to match X package trim.

Wow those look awesome! How did you get the painted gloss black as the oem surface is not smooth?

Old 01-19-2022, 07:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by msgm1
Wow those look awesome! How did you get the painted gloss black as the oem surface is not smooth?
Pre sanding and many coats of high build primer.....

Old 01-19-2022, 07:32 PM
Winching

kost dealers won’t even notice it’s not there. they are oem fenders so unless something looks off i doubt they will notice

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Just a thought, would removing those cause an issue with inspection or resale? I’ve done mods like this in the past and they’ve sometimes led to headaches including what to do with existing wiring. Anyway can’t wait to see results.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:37 PM
Winching

dis you paint then yourself? if not what did the body shop charge. i remember your early post about this.

did you ppf the front fender? that’s my plan

Originally Posted by mikelr
Pre sanding and many coats of high build primer.....

Old 01-19-2022, 07:43 PM
Winching

yeah you just unplug them and push it back into the body. i wrapped the connector is a bunch of tape to try to make it waterproof. no errors or check engine lights

when are you planning to install your vulcan pieces. i like that they are painted and just wanting to make sure they fit properly

Originally Posted by hoss_vw
I picked up a set of already gloss painted wheel arches from Vulkan.. they come as EU spec with no side markers.. They do have a little cut out to put reflectors in but doesn't think the actual NA side markers will work.

Just curious what you did with the lights when you put yours on? Did you just tuck the bulb into the fender area?

Do you have a picture?

Quick Reply: Extended Fender Flares US Spec