Sponsored by:

Extended Wheel Arches Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 10:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,304 Likes on 951 Posts
Default Extended Wheel Arches Installation

This went smoothly enough.

An hour or so including tidy up and unboxing, with just a modicum of sailor-talk and only one minor screwup that was easily fixed.

I dislodged one of the light wiring harnesses when I was whacking in the clips. Popped out the wheel liner and reattached. I hadn't correctly engaged it initially.

Try as I might with the first one, the stock wheel arches could not be preserved. Plastic tabs break and round clips on the rear break. After that, the others were just ripped off.

Pink white board marker. Don't etch the paint beyond here. Stop a bit shy of it.

+5 HP +10 Nm Torque

Hides a little scuff mark on the right front fender nicely.

Last edited by GavinC; 08-28-2022 at 10:30 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by GavinC:
Craig_RRS2013 (08-30-2022), GrouseK9 (08-29-2022), makristal (03-03-2023), RH5555 (08-30-2022), SoCalDef (08-29-2022), SVR51 (08-30-2022), WAFOX (03-03-2023), yocut33m (03-17-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-29-2022, 07:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks great! Awesome color.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 07:21 AM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

Looks good! After I installed mine, I was happy it covered a rock chip on the front left fender that I received driving it home from the dealership when new, but then another one appeared a month later. Oh well!

Installing the rear fender I managed to miss removing a broken clip so it wouldn't seat properly (on the inside the door portion), but I managed to work in a door panel tool and rip it out - really had me worried for a bit!

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 10:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
This went smoothly enough.

An hour or so including tidy up and unboxing, with just a modicum of sailor-talk and only one minor screwup that was easily fixed.

I dislodged one of the light wiring harnesses when I was whacking in the clips. Popped out the wheel liner and reattached. I hadn't correctly engaged it initially.

Try as I might with the first one, the stock wheel arches could not be preserved. Plastic tabs break and round clips on the rear break. After that, the others were just ripped off.

Pink white board marker. Don't etch the paint beyond here. Stop a bit shy of it.

+5 HP +10 Nm Torque

Hides a little scuff mark on the right front fender nicely.
How did you do aligning the front of the fender to the bumper trim? That was the hardest part for me. Got one side really good and then the other overlaps a little.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:09 PM
Pro Wrench

@inater

I'm not really sure what I did. I think the arch liners can hang you up easily enough. Perhaps that was the culprit.
Took a little finagling to get everything just right with the door seals on the short pieces and arch liners on front and rear before giving the clips the seating-whack home.

One thing I'd do differently if I was doing it again would be to pop the alcohol wipes and paint conditioner in the fridge before use. Very volatile stuff and having it cooler would give a little more working time. That and making sure I'd correctly engaged the light fittings. Fixing that added about 5 minutes of stress.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:51 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

i have installed the fenders 3 times. if you don’t get the fitment almost perfect some of the edge pieces start lifting.

not a huge deal to take them off and install again but you will need new clips

Old 08-30-2022, 11:11 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Ehloo
i have installed the fenders 3 times. if you don’t get the fitment almost perfect some of the edge pieces start lifting.

I clearly lack your finesse. Removing the regular arches, I found it impossible to preserve their plastic tabs . The clips go flying. No biggie, but the tabs breaking means they'll never seat properly again. I damaged he originals a little when I removed the rear bumper for the tow loop install. I little glue fixed it like new but it was a less than ideal result. (No need to remove the arches much if at all. I was being dumb)

My chances of removing these and being able to reuse them like new or at all would be slim to none.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:30 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

i reinstalled just the front pieces as both started to lift.

i followed powerful uk instructions which were great but realized locking up where they would go wasn’t too accurate.

on my my third set on a new defender i ended up taking off all the clips, fitting it first and then using the dry erase. that help align much better

Originally Posted by GavinC
I clearly lack your finesse. Removing the regular arches, I found it impossible to preserve their plastic tabs . The clips go flying. No biggie, but the tabs breaking means they'll never seat properly again. I damaged he originals a little when I removed the rear bumper for the tow loop install. I little glue fixed it like new but it was a less than ideal result. (No need to remove the arches much if at all. I was being dumb)

My chances of removing these and being able to reuse them like new or at all would be slim to none.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

My trick on the clips was to move the fabric wheel arch liner so that I could get to the back of the clips, then you can squeeze them with a pair of pliers and they slip right out. Didn't break a one.

The following 2 users liked this post by RH5555:
Defendit.. (03-03-2023), GavinC (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 11:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo

One of my arches is lifting a little in one location which I have been studiously ignoring (I'm probably the only person who sees it). @Ehloo, 'm interested in the technique for removal, cleanup of old 2-sided tape, procurement of new tape and activator. All pointers gratefully received.

Quick Reply: Extended Wheel Arches Installation