Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long(ish) Road Trip and Light Off-Roading

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 06:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad801
Quick question for those of you that have road tripped and camped out in your defender. I took my defender 400SE out for a 3 day camping trip. I didn't use the car for anything but storage while in the woods. Opening and closing the doors on occasion to get stuff out and put stuff in. Two of the three days a message popped up on the instrument panel saying battery low start ignition. I'd start the car for about 20 minutes and it went away. A little over a day later and the message is back. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Yes, I had a similar experience recently on a weekend camping trip. Some things I noted for future comparison: I used the 120V outlet to fill up a couple of air beds right before shutting the truck off. I had auto access height enabled. I was in and out of the tailgate a lot (ie. the door shut motor ran frequently). I had all interior lights turned to "off" - so no lights when doors were opened.

It didn't bother me too much because the system warned me and I always carry a self-jump-starter, just in case. But, ideally the truck shouldn't use any significant amount of battery in this scenario.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 116 Posts

@Chad801 On the new Defender Facebook group, there are a number of posts from members who believe that leaving the key in or in very close proximity to the car while camping is causing or contributing to the battery drain. The suggestion seems to be using an RF blocking pouch for the key if you have it in or near the vehicle for extended periods.

Old 07-18-2021, 01:07 PM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
@Chad801 On the new Defender Facebook group, there are a number of posts from members who believe that leaving the key in or in very close proximity to the car while camping is causing or contributing to the battery drain. The suggestion seems to be using an RF blocking pouch for the key if you have it in or near the vehicle for extended periods.
I appreciate this feedback and I'll certainly try to put the key in a faraday cage next time I go out to try and test that theory. The only thing that confuses me there is when the cars at home in the garage we leave the key in the cupholder sometimes for up to a week without driving it and I've never seen that message before. But when it's at home we aren't in and out, opening the doors, maybe that's the difference.