Camping on the Mountains and Beaches of Scotland with a Land Rover Defender - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:44 AM

Smile Camping on the Mountains and Beaches of Scotland with a Land Rover Defender

Paula Beaumontís weakness is that she canít be too many days between two outings when it comes to going off the road. Whenever she isnít planning a photo shoot, she is usually working out her next destination where one of the major selection criteria is the question of roads or lack thereof. An overland fanatic whoís also a photographer, Paula certainly knowns that to set camp for the perfect visuals is almost always after the paved roads finish. Like all of her previous adventures, this one too was accompanied by her 27-year-old trusty Defender

What was the plan before leaving?

While I like to be super organised, we thought weíd go with the flow of the unpredictable Scottish weather. So we would either head towards the Scotlandís East Coast or back towards the Isle of Skye, where also my 71-year-old mother, my companion on this adventure stays. She had seen some nice spots to camp, that would be perfect if the weather was ready! We had planned the trip around 8 days. And while no time period ever justifies the trip, itís the maximum I could muster in between my wedding shoots.

What was the route like?

I live in Harrogate, North Yorkshire so we decided to meet in Fort William Ė 6 hours north for me and 3.5 hours South for my mother. The only thing we had planned was an off-road trip with a company for the day through the Cairngorm mountains, which was booked for Monday. This meant that we had to find a place to camp on Sunday night. I run some great software on my tablet that shows all the forest tracks so it only took us only an hour to find a great spot in a large forest near Fort William.

Read more on Paula's adventure trip here.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 PM

Beautiful. Sounds like a great adventure.

Brian.