Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Folding rear seats down - D110

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 07:52 AM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Folding rear seats down - D110

I have a kind of odd question - In the manual for my 2022 D110 (5-seat model), it shows to fold the rear seats flat, you remove the head rest, store it under the seat bottom (after folding the seat bottom forward), and then fold the seat down. I've just noticed that if I just fold the head rests down (but don't remove them), the seats will still fold down flat. Does it really matter if I don't remove the head restaints? Do I risk them getting damaged over time from them rubbing on the bottom of the seat cushion, or is there something else I'm missing? I know it seems simple, but I'd enjoy saving the time if I can, but don't want to damage the seats.

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2022, 08:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 614 Likes on 368 Posts

I noticed a wear mark on the back of the rear center headrest from folding the seats down. I just flip the bottom cushions forward, drop the headrests forward and release the seat back & fold. So now I'm more careful about pushing the bottom seat cushion forward when folding the seat back down. I can see where that seat bottom metal hook would damage the back of the center headrest over time.

The following users liked this post:
D-Fens (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 08:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

I also think part of the reason they say to remove the headrest is because they will hit the front seats and not allow you to fold them down. Then you have to go to the front of the car, motor the seats way far forward which takes ages. Then once you accomplish this, you can't put the driver's seat back where you need it if you are of normal height.

D-Fens (06-12-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 06:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

I have avoided the non-technical portions of the manual. Ignorance was bliss.

I keep the rear seat folded down all the time for the dogs and to carry cargo. I drive my 110 with 27K miles with the driver's seat close to the steering wheel and one of my pups has claimed the foot well behind me as his favorite spot for long distance travel.

I will take one for the team and report back the wear over time caused by NOT removing the head rests.

Enjoy !!

The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
angelboing (06-25-2022), GrouseK9 (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 09:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

yeah, I have my rear seats folded flat pretty often in my P300. I don't remove the headrests, just fold them down. Haven't noticed any headrest wear. Put it's car wash day, so I'll check it out.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 614 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I have avoided the non-technical portions of the manual. Ignorance was bliss.

I keep the rear seat folded down all the time for the dogs and to carry cargo. I drive my 110 with 27K miles with the driver's seat close to the steering wheel and one of my pups has claimed the foot well behind me as his favorite spot for long distance travel.

I will take one for the team and report back the wear over time caused by NOT removing the head rests.

Enjoy !!
I never read anything about removing the rear headrests either. Just "fold & go". I don't think there will be any wear issues from just leaving the headrests installed and seats folded. The issue is the action of folding down the rear seat will cause wear where the back of the middle headrest rubs against the seat bottom metal hook. This contact point occurs just before folding flat, but once the seat is flat there is no contact.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Fens
you remove the head rest, store it under the seat bottom (after folding the seat bottom forward), and then fold the seat down
What? Do you have storage there? I don't.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:56 AM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly

This is exactly what mine looks like. The headrest bars slot right into those spots. I ended up going with "remove them", as I'm prepping for a long road trip at the end of the week and the dogs will be able to stretch out more with the seat folded the whole time.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:56 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly

The storage is basically those cut outs in the foam (or whatever that is) for the stick part of the headrest, and the pillow part should be bent down with the round button.

EDIT: adding screenshot from manual

Last edited by cardude; 06-13-2022 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Adding screenshot from manual
D-Fens (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 10:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by cardude
The storage is basically those cut outs in the foam (or whatever that is) for the stick part of the headrest, and the pillow part should be bent down with the round button.

EDIT: adding screenshot from manual
So Simon can make some molded storage boxes in the same shape as the headrests?

I'd pay big for those!

Quick Reply: Folding rear seats down - D110