Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Frame Front Bumper Bump Guard

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 08:46 PM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts
Default A Frame Front Bumper Bump Guard

not much info about the oem accessory. Dealer can get one in a couple of days but it looks like it’s part of a kit in which i am only buying the bumper

anybody have one these and installed themselves?

about a 1000 and seems pricey for a piece of plastic. maybe there is more to it

Old 09-15-2021, 10:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

$1300 USD in the U.S. for what must be just a piece of formed plastic -- normally included in the winch kit to cover the bumper cuts and the metal U bar which slots into the winch tray. I suppose it could function in a big city -- fighting over tight parking spots and all that?

Maybe it includes the metal U bar, bolted into the bumper armature -- which would require the front bumper to be removed -- that labor would cover a third(or more ?) of the cost?

I agree it would be interesting to hear more from anyone who has purchased this accessory.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Curious if the following bumper guard pics are part of the kit you're referring to. I've seen a few pics like the ones below and can't figure out what they are (plastic? metal?) and what package they are a part of (Front expedition protection system?) Anyone have a part number or package name handy?

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 09:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

I’m curious to learn more about this as well.

Also, does anyone know about this set up? This looks like half a bull bar or mini. Anyway I love this.

Was this prototype?

Simon14 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 09:46 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

They are, I believe. If you look at the installation instructions, it includes cutting away some of the original bumper in order to lift the corners, allowing greater approach angles.

Old 09-15-2021, 09:53 PM
Mudding

I think these are images of the prototype. The A Frame comes with and without the undershield plate that exposes the tow hook, and with raised corners to improve approach angle. In expedition form, it also comes with an extra support bar for the under shield, which is heftier than the original one. There is also an A frame support bar behind the A frame, but I’m not sure if it is plastic or metal (I’m guessing the former).

See installation instructions here: LAND ROVER ACCESSORY FITTING INSTRUCTIONS

The following 2 users liked this post by Simon14:
robn (09-16-2021), TrioLRowner (09-16-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 10:39 PM
Winching

its so confusing. i have seen different versions of the A bar and one that is much more bulky which appears is made to hide a wench and the other pic with a much more minor profile

its all comestics for me so the smaller version looks much better

Originally Posted by Simon14
I think these are images of the prototype. The A Frame comes with and without the undershield plate that exposes the tow hook, and with raised corners to improve approach angle. In expedition form, it also comes with an extra support bar for the under shield, which is heftier than the original one. There is also an A frame support bar behind the A frame, but I’m not sure if it is plastic or metal (I’m guessing the former).

Old 09-15-2021, 10:44 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Ehloo
its so confusing. i have seen different versions of the A bar and one that is much more bulky which appears is made to hide a wench and the other pic with a much more minor profile

its all comestics for me so the smaller version looks much better
I definitely need one to hide a wench ;-)

There are two A Frame options, one includes the under-shield and one doesn’t (in essence, one is the black A-frame with no under-shield and the other one is the same A-frame but with the under-shield accessory as well). If you already have the under-shield, you buy the former. But you can also fit the former without an under-shield at all. The Winch system is different again, and is much more expensive and includes considerably more structure underneath (it includes both the winch and the winch mounting kit, which are purchased separately). I’d get that, but it is very expensive.

The picture above shows the A-frame with under-shield fitted (it’s called the Expedition Protection System if you buy it as a single package). That is the one I’ll be fitting.

Last edited by Simon14; 09-15-2021 at 10:49 PM.
TrioLRowner (09-16-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 11:00 PM
Winching

wow, just went through some of the pages of the install instructions. this is a pretty big job

lots of cutting and replacing other parts. prob be over a 1000 to install this thing

Originally Posted by Simon14

The following 2 users liked this post by Ehloo:
robn (09-16-2021), Simon14 (09-15-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 06:27 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A-Frame Protection Bar

I had the standard A-Frame protection bar fitted with my build. It is installed at the factory and not at port so the $1,300 fee covered the part and install. Not sure how much "protection" it will provide, I added for the look. I really like it combined with the wheel arch extensions. Changes the look of the Defender for the better in my opinion.

PatriotDefender (09-25-2021)

Quick Reply: A Frame Front Bumper Bump Guard