Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end protection question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 11:01 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MistaCh0w
can you share a link to the bolts and washers you used?
I don't have a link for them, just picked them up from the local Ace Hardware store. They didn't have the 35mm so I went with M10-1.25 x 40mm hex heads. Actually I see quite a few options on Amazon as well. Hope that helps.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:19 PM
Drifting
Received 52 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MattF
Nice work!

Another way to address the slight misalignment is to grind down one side of the washer on the mounting bolt a bit. That's what I did with mine to get the bolts to align.
Thanks! I trimmed the back (lower) washers too as it was a bit tight to line it all up. All it needed at the end was some jiggling with everything loose and pray nothing shifted as I tightened it up

Originally Posted by Vintage12
I received my aftermarket skid plate and had a chance to install it yesterday. It is indeed possible to install without cutting away the rear plastic shield / trim plates and original mounting points. So, with the usual caveat of "at your own risk" here's what I did if it is helpful to you. The main issue you are trying to overcome is access to the new M6x25 torx bolts that will clamp the U-brackets to the frame.

1) Remove the 8 torx screws that hold the rear shield, for each side there is one near the center and then three vertically on the side. You probably don't need to undo the top one but I did it anyway.
2) Unpin the shield from the main plastic surround at two points under, these are push fit
3) This now allows plenty of flex to pull the shield forward at both sides, insert say a small section of 2x4" wood behind to protect while drilling. There are a couple of coolant lines to be wary of.
4) Drill 2 x 7/8" (22mm) holes each side (see alignment and locations in the photos)
5) Remove your wood protection and insert the U-brackets behind the frame
6) Now you will have access to the clamp points and your bracket mounting hole should also be accessible through an existing hole in the shield. Clamp your new brackets in place.
7) Finally put your rear shield back together, pin below and tighten the 8 torx screws before mounting the new skid plate.

Hope that all makes sense.

For some general feedback on the install, it's about 2 hours work, the fit and finish is decent - I have a small gap on the left side of the car that perhaps I can tweak out with adjustments, but honestly it's no worse than my original plastic shield that had a gap on the opposite side. The silver torx bolts at the top front are slightly too short, I plan to change mine to black with matching washers so will purchase M10x35 (would be nice if these were in the kit especially if ordering the black skid plate). Lastly, the JLR tow ring while functional is really basic welded steel tubing, I see spots of rust already on a 2 week old car - I plan to treat and paint, I still think a cover plate would be nice here so will write to Simon @ PUK.

Overall, I'm happy to now have a proper skid plate at the front and access to the tow ring.
Nice job on just drilling out the holes for the bolts, I found there was plenty of room to slide the bracket around but never thought of that. I was surprised how little I actually needed to remove, especially after seeing the powerfuluk video.

The following users liked this post:
Vintage12 (11-04-2022)