Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front rubber LR floor mats suck

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 01:29 PM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Fens
I would expect the floor mats to be water-tight aside from pouring a bunch of water that floods over the edges. Call me crazy, but Ford perfected a no-leak rubber floor mat in all of the 4x4 Rangers I had between 2001 and 2010, so it seems reasonable for LR to do the same. I would expect any rubber floormat in an off-road vehicle to do the same. Clearly my standards are too high.
YOU expect. that's cool. you might also expect to tow with your defender. maybe you want to camp with it. maybe you want to rock crawl with it. possibly you want to do a lot of things most other owners won't do, including the expectation that you be able to soak your feet in your floor mat if you like.

the fact that you CAN'T do this doesn't mean the floor mats SUCK. it means that for your specific purposes, they aren't ideal. perhaps it's a change you could make, like all the changes you'd need to make to do those other things.

posts like this; attitudes like this are why new cars are garbage. nothing has personality or character anymore. why? because people like OP expect all cars they might choose to be all things to all people. so now you have a perfectly stratified marketplace with each manufacturer having a vehicle that's nearly identical to the competition because market research into consumer sentiment comes back with asinine results like this post. so now everything is homogenized garbage across all industries. because people like this demand their floor mats have to be water tight at all times.

no. they don't. not everything in life is a tv dinner.

Old 01-14-2023, 02:00 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

My .02 cents is that rubber floor mats like these are marketed to hold water, mud, sand…whatever and a lot of it. That’s why similar mats demonstrate someone pouring a container of water or coffee into them, to show their mats will hold the liquid and dirt to protect your vehicle.

So if a mat like this allows liquid to get past the mat, under normal use, it defeats the purpose of having a mat like this. A buyer purchases them for the added protection because they’re certainly not buying them for their looks/aesthetics. With that said, it’s reasonable to think a mat like this should not allow water through the top like these apparently do.

Do they “suck”, IDK…but they could definitely be better.

As for asinine things on the Defender, how about we start with all the nanny aids. Pretty soon, you won’t even be able to put it in drive if your seat isn’t on and doors locked.

IMO, vehicles these days lack character in the US because of all the DOT/NHTSA rules and regs regarding bumper heights, front/rear lights, crumple zones, etc…It’s gotten to the point where in order to pass these requirements, vehicles have to take on a certain look.

The following users liked this post:
jusmax88 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 02:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

" so now you have a perfectly stratified marketplace with each manufacturer having a vehicle that's nearly identical to the competition because market research into consumer sentiment comes back with asinine results like this post. so now everything is homogenized garbage across all industries. because people like this demand their floor mats have to be water tight at all times. no. they don't. not everything in life is a tv dinner."

I posted about leaky rubber floor mats (that I believe cost $180 so I don't think they should leak). You're off on another planet.

jusmax88 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 02:33 PM
Mudding
Received 106 Likes on 69 Posts

Do the "Internet Marketed" floor mats that demonstrate someone pouring a container of water or coffee into them of have TWO GAINT Holes in the lowest level of the mat? And they still don't leak? Mosses would like to get in contact with this company because he has some questions he would like to ask.

Old 01-14-2023, 03:30 PM
Drifting

https://store.landrover.com/vples055...bber-mats.html

this is the product we're talking about. there is literally nothing there that suggests this is waterproof. nothing.

when you install them, you probably notice how they are built and held in place. why in the world would anyone expect these are going to hold water?

Old 01-14-2023, 03:34 PM
Mudding

Maybe because it says,

“ For the ultimate footwell protection, this set of synthetic rubber mats are deep-sided for the first row and standard rubber mats for the second row. Perfect for containing sand, mud, water or snow from driver’s and passenger’s feet when returning to the vehicle.”

Keywords being “Ultimate footwell protection” and “Perfect for containing”.

None of which these mats are apparently.

jusmax88 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 03:45 PM
Drifting

so just to be clear:

- the copy of the description for these mats implies they do things like "protect" and "contain."
- from that verbiage, you infer that this means "will hold water."
- you buy them, and install them. which means you've seen them, and how they are installed.
- yet somehow these facts don't conflict with your inferred expectation.
- when it's eventually made clear that there are indeed not waterproof, the conclusion is a product "sucks."

yeah?

that's wild.

Old 01-14-2023, 04:02 PM
Mudding

For the record, I don’t have a problem with these mats. I have had zero problems with them. However when I purchased them as part of an allocation order, I did not get to see them. They were part of an interior protection package. Protection inferring to protect, ie not leak and hold water and debris (within reason). I read the description (prior to ordering) and took them at their word.

Now you’re changing the debate by basically labeling the buyer as the unreasonable person for purchasing/using something so clearly not able to perform what the product states it should vs focusing on the product and the fact that it does not do what it says.

At the very least it’s bad marketing and a misrepresentation of the product.

Mine are going to get replaced because I have a bigger problem with the rear mats. I prefer a one piece mat vs 3 separate sections that do not connect.

Anyway, you guys can continue arguing about mats. Time to move on for me. Enjoy….first world problems.

jusmax88 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 04:13 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by skeptical
this is the most ridiculous post here in some time. the uber-consumerist entitlement is unreal. drive your truck. get dirty.
Speaking of ridiculous posts…..

Old 01-14-2023, 04:17 PM
Mudding
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by skeptical
so just to be clear:

- the copy of the description for these mats implies they do things like "protect" and "contain."
- from that verbiage, you infer that this means "will hold water."
- you buy them, and install them. which means you've seen them, and how they are installed.
- yet somehow these facts don't conflict with your inferred expectation.
- when it's eventually made clear that there are indeed not waterproof, the conclusion is a product "sucks."

yeah?

that's wild.
You seem to be taking this mighty personally. Are you the person who designed these mats, or is the designer someone close to you?

jusmax88 (01-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Front rubber LR floor mats suck