2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front rubber LR floor mats suck

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023 | 04:25 PM
Pro Wrench

Not trying to be snarky, @Blackdirt Cowboy but did you start this thread at the beginning? I think there are a number of reqs up there. If not, I went Weathertec because I have a 110 and the second row in the WT are 1 piece while the OEM is 3 pieces. The front (driver/passenger) work awesome, but the boot slid around too much. I eventually replaced the boot with the OEM because I liked the heavier non-sliding rubber. Good luck on your search.

Old 01-15-2023 | 08:08 PM
Pro Wrench

I would expect some moisture and muck to sneak underneath any floor mat for my use profile so haven't sprung for the well-liners to protect the plastic. They do look really good though. Been a while since I had a peek/sweep under mine.

Despite my car smelling a bit ripe at the moment from a healthy mulch of melted snow and pine straw, my OEM carpet mats seem to do a half decent job.

I love the plastic floors. An infrequent scrub and sweep out keeps them good enough. Minimal rust so far.

The following 4 users liked this post by GavinC:
DrPizz (01-23-2023), Jiman01 (01-15-2023), MattF (01-16-2023), nashvegas (01-15-2023)
Old 01-16-2023 | 07:36 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by spritekk
Good point...
But fronts only aren't available for a 110. YET? Only front & rear combo..
I'd write to them and see of they'd sell just the fronts....

Old 01-16-2023 | 09:02 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Nuckle
Second pic is the floor of the defender with no mat installed.
Gotcha, thanks.

Old 01-17-2023 | 02:59 PM
Mudding

So I have to update my experience with Tuxmats in a D110 5-seater. I received the mats a few days ago and got to installing them today. The front mats went in perfectly, yes they might still leak similar to the OEM mats through the retention holes, but they cover/protect a larger area of the floor board and IMO look nicer.

What I’m not happy about is that the rear mats don’t fit right when the seats are folded down. The bracket that holds the bottom seat folds over when you tip the seat forward/down and hits the rear vertical portion of the mat, essentially crushing the rear part of the mat down. I run with the seats down most of the time because of dogs, so this is a definite problem for me.

I contacted Tuxmat to let them know the issue and they asked me to send them some pics. I sent them pics and a video and the reply I got was that they weren’t fully aware of the design features of the seats when they designed the mat, and since the Defender isn’t a big seller, their design team wasn’t going to make any changes. They told me I was free to return the mats if I wasn’t happy….I’m assuming on my own dime.

I think I’m going to keep them and modify the mat. There are molded sections outlining the bracket locations and all it would take is to cut out those areas and add some edge banding to seal the edges.

Here’s some pics of what I’m attempting to describe:

Bracket pocket locations that I’m planning on cutting out.

How it looks with the seats in the normal upright position. The brackets are on the other side of those “pockets”

Looking from the driver side rear door, you can see the black bracket has folded the mat over and distorts the length of protection along the door sill.

The other 4 brackets with lower seats folded over and it’s effects on the mat. IIRC this pic is from the Passenger side rear. On the plus side, I like how they protect the door sill.

​​​
For my purposes, I can’t recommend the rear mats since I have the seats down more often than not, but the front mats are definitely an improvement for the reasons I already stated above. I also didn’t care for Tuxmats CS…they were nice and professional, but not correcting a known design flaw and/or improving a previous design because it’s not a good seller, makes me think it’s never going to be a good seller because it’s not a good product (ie interferes/inhibits with basic features of the vehicle)

Depending on how you use your truck, YMMV

Old 01-17-2023 | 04:07 PM
Winching

This is very helpful. I've had my Tuxmats for 4 months and have yet to put the rear seats down. I'm interested to see how your mods work out.

Thanks for sharing this!

The following users liked this post:
Jiman01 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023 | 05:52 PM
Mudding

Will do. I’m thinking I might make two vertical cuts per section, basically creating a hinge/flap. From there I could velcro or glue the hinge pieces to the brackets so the mat/bracket can move together whether the seat is up or down.

Thinking I‘ll make the cuts with a hot knife cutter, so it’ll seal as I cut. Gotta incubate on this idea overnight. I wish I had a piece of test material to get the temp right.

MattF (01-17-2023)
Old 01-18-2023 | 07:02 PM
Mudding

Here are pics of my arts & crafts project

I used a butane hot knife and a straight edge. I only made vertical cuts at each bracket location to keep the bracket area covered when the seats are in their normal position.

I was going to use Velcro to attach the flap piece to the bracket but the mat material is stiff enough that it seems to go back on its own. Last thing I did was use a black sharpie to color the white foam interior that is exposed when you make the cuts.

Took less than an hour. Since it was my first time, I made conservative cuts, test fit, and repeat…about a half dozen times

Pics:

Butane torch with hot knife attachment with the cuts already made

Decently clean cuts. Nice thing abt the hot knife is it seals the edges as it cuts. The exposed white area is the foam sandwiched between the outer mat material.

Didn’t like the white showing so I hit it with some sharpie

Test fitting my cuts. Notice how the sill area is laying flat as they should. No clips have been used yet. It’s laying flat by itself.

All the seats down and I’m happy 😃

MattF (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023 | 09:42 AM
Winching

This is excellent! Thanks for taking the time and having the talent for this. I'm going to do the same as soon as i figure out what a butane hot knife is

Thank you!

Jiman01 (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023 | 11:18 AM
Rock Crawling

THIS "I also didn’t care for Tuxmats CS…they were nice and professional, but not correcting a known design flaw and/or improving a previous design because it’s not a good seller, makes me think it’s never going to be a good seller because it’s not a good product (ie interferes/inhibits with basic features of the vehicle)".

You were able to show how easy it would be for these guys to make this right and correct their product, but, hey...no...let's just ignore the customer feedback and basically imply we could not care less for their experience. Oh, and BTW, your welcome to pay for your own return if you want a refund. This brand lost my business forever.

The following 2 users liked this post by mrego:
D-Fens (01-19-2023), Jiman01 (01-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Front rubber LR floor mats suck