Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Runner/ Cargo Box Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 03:01 PM
4wd High
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front Runner/ Cargo Box Help

So I find myself in a dilemma. I have a front runner half rack, on factory rails. Purchased for the perceived flexibility in use. I can’t find a snowboard box that mounts to the T-slots. The slats on the rack sit below the side rails, and this limits, somewhat, the type of box that could potentially be mounted. So far I have only found the Yakima Skybox to have the flat bottom. I was unable to fit it to the rack, as the space between slats doesn’t allow for the universal clamp to slide between and under the adjacent slat.

Has anyone been successful in mounting a box to the FR half rack?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 01-29-2022, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 402 Likes on 202 Posts

The same thing comes up with RTT's. I had to get these adaptors to raise the mounting points above the rails on my FR rack I have on the RR, they are the Thule bar adaptors and they also make the similar item for just tents. The nice thing about the Thule adaptor, aside from being able to mount Thule bars. Is it can be rotated 90°, as it has two sets of mounting holes. A bit more versatility:

The following users liked this post:
JustSean (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 04:14 PM
4wd High

Thanks Dogpilot.
I had a look at these on the FR site. Really light on photos. Is the idea that the Thule bar mounts to these? A set of bars mounted on top of the rack?

Worth a try, I suppose.

Old 01-29-2022, 04:17 PM
Rock Crawling

You can mount the bars, which slide onto the spring nuts. Or you could possibly mount your box directly to the bracket, which is in turn mounted to the rack. I used the bars, as it was quicker on/off the rack with the RTT.

Old 01-30-2022, 01:00 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

if you are just trying to get boards up there i was thinking if FR attachment below

sits in the side and should be easier to get the board off.

i have a Thule storage box and was thinking no issue to mount to the FR rack. i have the same half rack. but i haven’t tried it. the Thule c mounting brackets slide a couple inches front and back so it should fit. But you do make a good point that the slats sit lower

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...rier-pair.html

Originally Posted by JustSean
Thanks Dogpilot.
I had a look at these on the FR site. Really light on photos. Is the idea that the Thule bar mounts to these? A set of bars mounted on top of the rack?

Worth a try, I suppose.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:35 AM
4wd High

Thanks Ehloo.
There are a few options, similar to these, which are ok for quick runs to the local hill. The salt and grime decimates the edges on longer rides. That’s the driver for a box, rather than the open style carrier.

The FR ones in the link must be pretty special, by the time I import them to Canada, they will be almost $500 CAD. Plus another $250 CAD for the side mounts, if desired. To carry one board.

I’m going to take a look at the mounting points on the Yakima again, and see if there is a way to rig something up using T-bolts. Failing that, I will order the FR Thule adapters and go from there. I will update once I give it another go.

Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:20 AM
Rock Crawling

If your handy, you can get these 1.5 inch risers from Amazon and avoid all that fun at the border. Just have to drill the holes yourself, but they are half the price of the Front Runner brackets.

2" Brackets 2" Brackets

Old 01-30-2022, 11:31 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

makes sense. i have a roof box and can tell you it’s handy but it’s difficult to install by yourself and the you got to store the thing for most of the year unless you park your car outside

Originally Posted by JustSean
Thanks Ehloo.
There are a few options, similar to these, which are ok for quick runs to the local hill. The salt and grime decimates the edges on longer rides. That’s the driver for a box, rather than the open style carrier.

The FR ones in the link must be pretty special, by the time I import them to Canada, they will be almost $500 CAD. Plus another $250 CAD for the side mounts, if desired. To carry one board.

I’m going to take a look at the mounting points on the Yakima again, and see if there is a way to rig something up using T-bolts. Failing that, I will order the FR Thule adapters and go from there. I will update once I give it another go.

Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2022, 04:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

PowerfulUk just addressed that on his 1/28/2022 V-log. They are adapting one of their mounts to handle this situation. He also gives a bit of a solution. Here's the video:

Bjs1234 (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 06:24 PM
4wd High

Thanks GrouseK9
Looks like they might have a good solution for factory rack fitting.

Not going to do it for the FR rack. Different layout.

GrouseK9 (01-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Front Runner/ Cargo Box Help