Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Runner Dropdown Table Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Front Runner Dropdown Table Install

My table arrived yesterday and while the install was straight forward it did take me some time to figure out what the best approach was. I ended up with this and figured id make a simple install instruction incase anyone is curious.

I did it this way because the table wasn't sitting completely flush with the door without the spacers and it kept the table off of the emergency road side latches.

Lmk what y'all think and if you found a better approach. I absolutely love the table and think every Defender should have one! It was the perfect table to use to install the rest of my FR accessories

Attached Files
The following 3 users liked this post by inater:
Bjs1234 (12-03-2021), foggy (01-16-2022), GrouseK9 (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 01:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Great add and instructions! How much stability would you lose if you cut the area in the below pic I "photoshopped"? Don't bust on my editing skills! My metal working ability to cut straight lines is MUCH better than my image editing....

I love it but kind of hate the idea of losing easy access to the in-door storage.

Old 12-03-2021, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Great add and instructions! How much stability would you lose if you cut the area in the below pic I "photoshopped"? Don't bust on my editing skills! My metal working ability to cut straight lines is MUCH better than my image editing....

I love it but kind of hate the idea of losing easy access to the in-door storage.

Hey,
I actually still have access to the door storage with this mounting method. It is tight but I still have tools and even had some bolts in there that I was able to remove by hand without issue.

However, since the secure points are more towards the perimeter of the mount I think you would be fine cutting that out.

Last edited by inater; 12-03-2021 at 01:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (12-03-2021)
Old 01-16-2022, 12:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by inater
My table arrived yesterday and while the install was straight forward it did take me some time to figure out what the best approach was. I ended up with this and figured id make a simple install instruction incase anyone is curious.

I did it this way because the table wasn't sitting completely flush with the door without the spacers and it kept the table off of the emergency road side latches.

Lmk what y'all think and if you found a better approach. I absolutely love the table and think every Defender should have one! It was the perfect table to use to install the rest of my FR accessories
Thanks @inater for the info. About to buy one of these and was looking to find what the install is like. I don't want to drill the Defender. Using the existing bolt holes is great.

Can you still access the safety triangle with the table in place? Not a big deal but just curious to know. I can't fit much of anything in the door nook itself. Usually just wedge some gloves in there. Really need me a table

Old 01-16-2022, 11:05 AM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

it is really difficult to access anything behind the table with the current cutouts. the front runner install is plug and play but the amazon other options are a bit more used with the cutout

Originally Posted by GavinC
Thanks @inater for the info. About to buy one of these and was looking to find what the install is like. I don't want to drill the Defender. Using the existing bolt holes is great.

Can you still access the safety triangle with the table in place? Not a big deal but just curious to know. I can't fit much of anything in the door nook itself. Usually just wedge some gloves in there. Really need me a table

Old 01-16-2022, 11:18 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GavinC

I can double check this later today for you and send some pics. Just got back from having mine in the snow and loved it! 7k hard miles in 2 months and the constant fear of breaking down is almost irrelevant now! Nothing will make you bond with car like being two hours from town with no service

The following 2 users liked this post by inater:
GavinC (01-16-2022), nashvegas (01-16-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 10:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Ehloo
it is really difficult to access anything behind the table with the current cutouts. the front runner install is plug and play but the amazon other options are a bit more used with the cutout
So doing it the way I did it with the longer spacers you can still get to this if you must but def not easily. You can also still get to the door pouch things (I have some tools in there) but again you're kinda squeezing your hand in there. Anything I needed quickly from the rear door I just put in the cargo nets or under the floor.

Hope this helps.... If you have any questions or need any help installing feel free to ping me! The table is a must in my opinion and I absolutely love it. Just got back from a month long trip on the road and used it almost every stop.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

There are other manufacturers of these style tables. If you don't like the ability to access the storage in the door, try a different source. There's a person on the Defender FB groups (Alex Tcaciuk) who has a version that doesn't block the access at all. They don't seem to be cheap (I think it was listed at ~200 Euro's shipped to the U.S.) but seem to have a better design to access the tailgate.

Comes in black or grey. You can also choose whether you want it "up" or "down". In the photo, there is a lip around the edge. You can have that pointed up or down when it is open.

I'm loving that there is starting to be some traction in the Aftermarket space. When it comes to Defender add ons, you can get expensive/quality or inexpensive/"does the job". I'm still hunting for inexpensive/quality....

Last edited by GrouseK9; 01-17-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm in the UK but I ordered a cheap one from Amazon which looks remarkably similar to the one that GrouseK9 has linked to but was a good bit cheaper. I decided to mount it upside down to the way it is illustrated on Amazon and I went with push button locks as I didn't like the locking mechanism it came with. It uses all the existing holes in the car and you can still access the door pocket and emergency triangle.

This is the UK Amazon link for the table but you can see it is intended for a Jeep
Wrangler TJ JK JKU 1996-2017 2/4 Door

Amazon Amazon

The following 6 users liked this post by Dan Hairy:
4x4 DAVE (01-18-2022), Beastly (02-06-2022), Drednot (02-06-2022), GavinC (01-17-2022), GrouseK9 (01-17-2022), merrion13 (01-18-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-17-2022, 02:40 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a cut-out modified front runner table allowing access to the shelves.

I have also seen one cut to where both the shelves and the emergency door were accessible.

Last edited by splathead; 01-17-2022 at 02:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by splathead:
GavinC (01-17-2022), GrouseK9 (01-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Front Runner Dropdown Table Install