Sponsored by:

Front Runner Rack Accessory Thread - FR Ladder Coming

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 11:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Front Runner Rack Accessory Thread - FR Ladder Coming

Hey!

I just installed my FR rack (luckily no issues) and have some parts coming for it (shovel mount, hijack mount, surfboard, and boxes). Was wanting to see what other people have added and get feedback on what people are liking/disliking.

I also realized while installing my FR rack that the lucky8 ladder wouldn't work anymore without modification. So I pinged FR and they said their ladder should be out in 1-2 months and will be side mounted to the rack. Will def hold off on Lucky8 till I see that.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:27 PM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by inater
Hey!

I just installed my FR rack (luckily no issues) and have some parts coming for it (shovel mount, hijack mount, surfboard, and boxes). Was wanting to see what other people have added and get feedback on what people are liking/disliking.

I also realized while installing my FR rack that the lucky8 ladder wouldn't work anymore without modification. So I pinged FR and they said their ladder should be out in 1-2 months and will be side mounted to the rack. Will def hold off on Lucky8 till I see that.
Oh I am interested! Better yet if I don't have to drill or cut.

I think the Lucky 8 looks great, but a side mounted ladder is more practical imo.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ElVerde
Oh I am interested! Better yet if I don't have to drill or cut.

I think the Lucky 8 looks great, but a side mounted ladder is more practical imo.
Ya I liked the Lucky 8 because I figured rear ladder would create less noise but I agree with its being less practical. Will be curious to see where FR mounts to the body on the side of the car. I would assume its going to be similar to the Voyage ladder.

The following users liked this post:
Trauma (11-12-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 07:45 PM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
Old 11-11-2021, 11:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Haha what are the odds! That was not there earlier today when I was looking. That looks very bulky.... Not sure about it

Old 11-12-2021, 06:45 AM
Mudding
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

That thing is hideous. My opinion of course. I have seen at least one person using the Lucky8 rear ladder with the full size front runner rack. Not sure what modifications they had to make. I only need to get on the roof occasionally, so stepping on the rear tow hook and then the spare tire has worked for me. I've heard mixed reviews on the front runner spare tire steps, but they look like a decent option.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Mmm that FR ladder, though very functional, could probably use another round of design so it blends better with the car. I haven't felt the need for a ladder (I have the expedition rack in our D90 and have used it a fair bit, but so far have managed to attach things without needing to climb up the roof. If I were to need a ladder the Proud Rhino offered by lucky8 would be my choice (it's the most conspicuous one I have seen and low drag).

Old 11-12-2021, 09:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

IMHO - I'll remain a fan of the Lucky8 vs. the FR. Anyone who thinks a Rotopax on the side is too wide will love that.

The following users liked this post:
Trauma (11-12-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 11:22 PM
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow is that FR ladder ugly. They really missed an opportunity to use that under-rack space (like their table storage) and make a ladder that pulls out from under the rack, and folds down. With the L8 ladder being so expensive for some bent 1” tubing, I had high hopes for the FR ladder when I saw the link above in this thread. Oh well. I’m now inspired to buy a tubing bender and learn welding.

Old 11-13-2021, 11:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by imager993
Wow is that FR ladder ugly. They really missed an opportunity to use that under-rack space (like their table storage) and make a ladder that pulls out from under the rack, and folds down. With the L8 ladder being so expensive for some bent 1” tubing, I had high hopes for the FR ladder when I saw the link above in this thread. Oh well. I’m now inspired to buy a tubing bender and learn welding.
Ya I agree..... I was hoping it would blow other ladders out of the water but instead looks like they just added a home depot ladder to the side of the car..... bummer

Quick Reply: Front Runner Rack Accessory Thread - FR Ladder Coming