Sponsored by:

G05 X5 45E vs LR Defender

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 02:54 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G05 X5 45E vs LR Defender

Ok guys.
I have been considering both and want to hear your input on this.
I will be needing a car to haul kids, snowjets, going skiing and traveling around the country, but it will be only one car for me. I really like driving dynamics and have been looking at those two cars. I drive alot and sometimes on gravel roads.
My question is what you think I should do.
Did any one of you look at those two when he was trying to decide?

Old 02-07-2021, 03:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

I suspect the most likely JLR product to which to compare the BMW you note is the Range Rover Sport. Maybe?

Much has been traded off, design wise, to make the Defender the best off-road capable, modern vehicle available which can tow +7500Lbs -- most notably structural weight (the Defender is not light) and 4x4 body geometry --- departure, approach and the like. If you do not value off-road capability highly, the RR sport is possibly more likely your comparable, particularly since you may be considering a plug in hybrid?

I look forward to reading others' views......

The following users liked this post:
jusmax88 (01-21-2024)
Old 02-07-2021, 07:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 71 Likes on 25 Posts

It's an apple & an orange. I had a 2017 X5 for 4 years and loved the car. The X5 is purpose built and designed to be an outstanding touring vehicle on the highway and around town. The Defender is purpose built to maximize off road prowess and as Trio notes above at the expense of other attributes.

I can't say enough good things about the X5 for what it was designed for. With Blizzaks on, it was the ultimate ski vehicle for Colorado. On the roads/highway, their AWD system is outstanding in winter and also worked fine on forest service / fire roads in the summer.

The Defender on the other hand is obviously far better on more technical trails. Before the X5 I had an LR3 and wanted back in the Defender for many reasons including great offroadability for our lifestyle. But the X5 is a fantastic vehicle.

You need to look in the mirror and ask yourself about priority. If the most important concern is offroadability, get the Defender. If not, get the X5.

The following 2 users liked this post by merrion13:
Juancl (06-15-2021), jwasson68 (06-22-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 11:37 PM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default I have both

I have a g05 40i and a p400 defender. Both are great in rhe snow. X5 drives much better more car like and less truck like. Its also faster in terms of acceleration, cornering speed, and cruising speed. The defender is way more heavy duty, deaws more attention and is more spacious. You can fit 5 large adults and have plenty of room left in the trunk. Defender tows more, is less bothered by potholes and is far more offroady. Unfortunately its also louder at the same speed. X5 Electronics and safety systems are light years better than the defender. Screen is larger, carplay is better integrated, lane keep assist doesnt try to kill you.... stuff like that.... hope that helps feel free to message me

Last edited by Ericlockheed; 02-07-2021 at 11:41 PM.
angelboing (02-11-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 09:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

If you enjoy driving dynamics consider the Porsche Cayenne too. I passed on it by a hairline for the Defender. Ride height and ground clearance won me over for the Defender.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:27 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TCole
If you enjoy driving dynamics consider the Porsche Cayenne too. I passed on it by a hairline for the Defender. Ride height and ground clearance won me over for the Defender.
the Cayenne is just so much more expensive and friends who own them have been having problems with them

Old 02-08-2021, 10:55 AM
7th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

both are great cars. The BMW is more convenient regarding practicability (rear door is automatic, better luggage compartment cover, height regarding some parking garage won‘t suit for the defender). You have to decide what is worth more in your daily driving. For me the Defender is more emotional than the BMW which is really a great car. I switched 10 years ago from BMW to Land Rover (Range Rover Sport, Disco 4/5, Velar and now Defender). If you compare the X5 you maybe should consider Disco 5. Defender is something different.
best, Michael

The following 2 users liked this post by Mephisto74:
angelboing (02-11-2021), PatriotDefender (02-13-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

I think the Disco 5 might be the better LR to think about if your alternative is the X5 and hauling kids is part of the daily duties. We had X5s (e70) for many years and loved them, but moved to LR (Disco 5) a few years ago. As many have said, the X5 is much better for daily urban/suburban driving and if all you do is some gravel roads and snow it will do just fine. We moved to LR mainly because the Disco 5 was coming out new, we had family history with the Disco and the X5 third row had become impractical as the kids were growing up (x5 third row is basically toddler only!). The discovery is not as fun to drive, but it opens up a world of possibilities as where you can go with it (whether you take advantage of those, is up to you).

angelboing (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 12:04 AM
Overlanding
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

With all the youtube and car media comparisons they contrast the new defender with the old, or a Jeep or a Toyota, or maybe a G wagon. I came to the Defender X from an Audi SQ5. I wanted a bigger vehicle and shopped the Defender against a Q7 or even an SQ7. I wasn't shopping the X5 but I think in terms of a premium vehicle, as different as they are, it's a good comp. If you want a luxury but rugged vehicle with real off road capabilities the Defender is it. Now that I own it, I am more impressed with the defender's on road capability. Certainly not as 'sporty' as the SQ5 but It is not a step down in terms of every day around town driving. I drive a windy canyon road every day to get home and the defender is amazing... a little taller and slower than my Audi but so much more than I expected! I chose the x trim level for all the goodies but a big part was the more refined interior, that for me at least, is comparable to what Audi or BMW offer. With the Defender you are trading a sporty on road bias for an unparalleled off road and snow capability.

angelboing (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 06:02 AM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 43 Posts

We have both a 2020 X5 and a 2020 P400 HSE Defender. We love both, but if it had to be one, as the Op states, the X5 it is. It’s just a better car. Consider special ordering one, they’re built in South Carolina. We’re on our second X5. The 2017 I ordered arrived in Texas in 16 days! The 2020 order arrived in 6 weeks. Get it exactly the way you like it.

I love my Defender but if I had to choose 1, it would be the X5.

Parkstr8 (09-16-2021)

Quick Reply: G05 X5 45E vs LR Defender