2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G05 X5 45E vs LR Defender

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 03:45 PM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

We also have both cars. You have to decide if you want performance/luxury or capability/luxury.

The following 3 users liked this post by crewcabrob:
ADVAW8S (02-11-2021), Ankur Singla (02-14-2021), TrioLRowner (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 07:48 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts
Default different

as many mentioned already completely different trucks. i came from a f85 x5m to the defender. my x5m was lowered and fully modified. so it felt more like a really fast wagon that handled like any sports car with endless power.

the defender is not sporty in any means. When people ask how i like it or how i would describe it i explain it’s a very nice truck. It’s the perfect description

but my intentions were to get something much different. the f85 is very capable in the snow but i needed a winter set of wheels and having to change them every time i hit the mountains was a pain

if you want a more all rounded vehicle then the x5 can’t be beat. plus bmw still includes service for free still and their leases can’t be beat

if i didn’t get the defender i would of been in a new f95 X5M

Originally Posted by Fatandre
Ok guys.
I have been considering both and want to hear your input on this.
I will be needing a car to haul kids, snowjets, going skiing and traveling around the country, but it will be only one car for me. I really like driving dynamics and have been looking at those two cars. I drive alot and sometimes on gravel roads.
My question is what you think I should do.
Did any one of you look at those two when he was trying to decide?

Old 02-12-2021, 02:56 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crewcabrob
We also have both cars. You have to decide if you want performance/luxury or capability/luxury.

Wow. This is what I am talking about.
The X5 looks pretty plain comparec to the LR

Old 02-12-2021, 10:56 PM
BBS
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My comparison before purchasing Defender included SQ7, X5 45E, and XC90 T8. I was trading a D5 Td6 that I really enjoyed, save for it being just too floaty on the highway. I spent a bunch of time driving them all, and evaluating them for my needs. I run a few businesses, and have a 75lb pup and an active family so flexibility to toss things into the vehicle is a big deal (i.e. I had a narrow pallet of flooring put into the D5 with a forklift!)

X5 is small inside. Really small especially when considering its overall size. It's better than it used to be, but not equal to any of the others I was comparing to. I really wanted to love X5 Hybrid especially since we had 335/340 in the past and loved them, and I love driving around town with ZERO exhaust, however I found the driving experience to be uninteresting at best. It feels like there's a lot of mass around you when you are driving it which just detracts from the fun. The hybrid system is nice, but you don't get the punch I expected from the electric portion of the hybrid system. We also currently have a Volvo V60 Hybrid, and that definitely gives you that experience! When done right as in Tesla, this Volvo etc, the electric acceleration is almost intoxicating. The BMW had none of that excitement.

We've had the Defender for about a month, and I keep finding more I like about it as we go. At first I thought the cargo area was smallish on Defender, at the benefit of rear seat room, but you can slide rear seats up and give more space back to cargo...brilliant. The driving experience on road is actually pretty fun. It's definitely a truck, but it jumps off the line, and has good feel at highway speeds especially for its size. You sit higher up than almost anyone on the road too, and all sorts of people will wave at you! The only true negative for me is that it chugs fuel. The Pivi Pro is still a work in progress, but I have faith they will get that sorted as we go with over the air updates.

Like others have said, from a size perspective RRS is the better comparo for X5. Defender is incomparable at this point!

Drive them if you can!

The following 2 users liked this post by BBS:
angelboing (02-14-2021), PaulLR (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 07:56 AM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you steal them from my garage -- I have the same colors on my Defender X and X5 45e. Wonderful choice

BTW - what tires (make, model, and spec) do you have on your Defender - they look awesome.

Originally Posted by crewcabrob

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (04-09-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 07:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

I've been a longtime fan of both Audi and Land Rover. Once my Defender build went over $80K I had to check out the new SQ7. Amazing vehicle but I could not get past it having regular tires (no run-flats) and no spare tire. At least BMW gives you run-flats. Somehow Land Rovers just fit our lifestyle better with ski trips, beach driving, wet dog, building supply runs, etc. Love my Defender so far.

PatriotDefender (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 04:54 PM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 43 Posts

Love the Teutonic edge to Audis. I just like Porsche, Land Rover and BMW better. Never been a fan of Merc.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:56 PM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 43 Posts

With the entire state of Texas under winter storm warning and not expected to get above freezing for most of this week, it sure feels good to have a planted, secure Land Rover to drive. The X5 & the 911 will be parked for a while.

ficklma1 (01-23-2024)
Old 02-15-2021, 07:24 PM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ankur Singla
Did you steal them from my garage -- I have the same colors on my Defender X and X5 45e. Wonderful choice

BTW - what tires (make, model, and spec) do you have on your Defender - they look awesome.
Haha! I'm sure we aren't the only two to have these combinations. To be honest, we will be on our second X5 this color when the new one comes in for my wife. We had a 2020 X5 40i and moved to the 45e.

I have Yokohama Geolandar MT G003 on my Defender 33 x 12.5 x 20.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Thanks,

Rob

Old 02-15-2021, 07:37 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Interesting. I looked at the X5 when I got my Evoque, but what a different price. I never thought about it against the Defender — that was a total I bloody love Land Rover, have wanted a Defender for yonks kinda thing. If I am being honest, I should just keep the Evoque — low miles, does all the things. It’s purely a passion buy

Quick Reply: G05 X5 45E vs LR Defender