Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS reception with Gaia in backcountry

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 03:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts
Default GPS reception with Gaia in backcountry

Planning a summer trip in the National Forests of New Mexico and Colorado. Will be away from cell range (a lot, I hope . I realize that GPS signal is independent of cell signal, but when using GAIA on my D110 SE 11.4" screen over CarPlay from my phone, should I expect any GPS signal issues? I will download the maps of where I'll be ahead of time. I figure the shark fin is just for the Pivi Pro navigation system and the iPhone/CarPlay is using the iPhone's built-in GPS chip.

My friend is in his older Jeep and says he needs a GPS puck to help with his reception.

I'm sure this overloading community can answer this quickly. Thanks

Old 03-11-2022, 03:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Not sure if Gaia is being used on your phone, tethered to the Defender, or if you have it on a dedicated iPad (with or without a data plan). Each will come up with a different option. I'll stick to the easy one: on your phone. If not, just tether to your phone rather than the Defender's data plan.

Interestingly, you do NOT need cell service to get a GPS signal on your cell phone. I believe the same is true for your Defender's data, but not sure. Also, you don't need a cell subscription to call 911 (in the US), but that's a different matter. Gaia is a great app. It allows you the ability to download maps/map segments. So, just download where you plan to be, and your cell phone's GPS will serve you just fine. I do it this way a LOT.

There are other off-road specific apps that can be recommended, but I'm a huge Gaia fan and you'll love it. Good luck.

If using the Phone app (similar on the iPad) do these.

1) Starting with the app, go to where you plan to go off the grid.

2) In the upper right corner, choose those stacked rectangles. That usually lets you choose what type of map to see. Then, scroll to the bottom to "Download Maps".

3. Select the area in red you want to download. Obviously, the bigger the area the more storage. You will save the map and then be good to go when you are at the map location. This works awesome hiking as well. I use this feature a lot.

Oops. My bad. Didn't really read thru your entire post. Let me add some other thoughts. Two things re: your ACTUAL question (pays to re-read when I'm not skimming):
1. The antenna for the SIM/native nav of the Defender is in the Fin. As long as that is clear, you should get a GPS signal for your native apps or maybe JLR data plan.
2. Not sure about the SE, but I have the X-Dynamic HSE and it has a cell charger in the center console area. If you have the same, you are GOOD TO GO. That cell charger also doubles as a cell booster. The antennae is outside the Defender, 3M'd to the inside of your left rear light cluster. Well actually the plastic cover on the left rear corner that covers your brake/turn signal. As long as you aren't into deep forest, that should also serve as a GPS point. I'm pretty sure that it will also help with the GPS signal.

However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring one "just in case"!

Good luck and enjoy the trip!

Last edited by GrouseK9; 03-11-2022 at 03:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
4Corsa (03-12-2022), dj200 (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 03:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts

Wow, thanks @GrouseK9 ! Thanks for taking the time to explain all that to me.

Now I just have a few months to anxiously await the trip, watch U-tube vids. and keep buying crap I don't need from Amazn...

The following 2 users liked this post by drcoop:
GavinC (03-11-2022), GrouseK9 (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 03:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Wow, sounds like a great trip! I'm very jealous!

I've got a July trip to SW Colorado and SE Utah on the books. Twill be my first Defender journey of note. Also, I'm planning to do some of the big CO off-road passes. They're always closed when I typically to to Utah, March, April or October/November.

The following users liked this post:
drcoop (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 04:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

So... using Gaia (which I love...!) I've definitely screwed myself a bit in the woods of Washington/Oregon and in the Cascades where there's no reception, and gotten lost. So be aware... I couldn't figure out how to just get GPS on the iPhone without also having cellular signal ...(full disclosure: didn't really make an effort to figure it out yet either)

drcoop (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

The GPS as others have said will work just fine. Admittedly I use Android and my Garmin Tred is my back up when out and about. I back up data to both devices so there is no concern and I have these weird paper things and compass if it all goes very sideways

Old 03-11-2022, 06:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Always nice to have a backup plan when things go pear-shaped.

https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/products-services
​​​​​

Old 03-11-2022, 06:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

^^Paper maps and a compass should always be in your trucks when traveling miles in the backcountry.^^ Technology could/will fail at some point and it's usually when you are in the middle of nowhere.

robn (03-12-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 06:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Most map apps will allow you to download maps and use when not connected to data. As mentioned above, GPS should still work even when not connected to any data. I’ve done this frequently with Gaia, AllTrails, and Google. If you have the correct map downloaded, you should still get turn by turn directions in addition to visually place yourself in the map.

The interface with Gaia isn’t intuitive, but it has much better off-road trail mapping than Google.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Here's a good article on all the ins and outs: https://www.adventurealan.com/iphone...p-backpacking/

Pro-tip: Put your phone into "Airplane Mode" and you can check out it's use w/ GPS and w/o Cellular Coverage.

nashvegas (03-11-2022)

Quick Reply: GPS reception with Gaia in backcountry