Sponsored by:

Had my First Service / Memory Full

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 07:51 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Had my First Service / Memory Full

Hi All,

So the Owner's Manual recommends getting the vehicle serviced every 21,000 miles or every 2 years (which ever comes first) on the P400 engine. I just had mine serviced this week (yes, hard to believe I put 21K miles on my Defender). Few comments:

1) Glad I got the pre-paid service plan (plus wear and tear). I had the 21,000 mile service plus requested wipers be replaced. That would have cost $1,289 plus taxes in New Jersey. But my invoice was $0 because of my service plan.
2) After the service while driving home, the vehicle was trying to download some update, but I got a notification that said "Memory full; Download cancelled". Has anyone else gotten that alert and know how to fix it?
3) About 2 or 3 weeks before the vehicle was serviced, the dynamic stability control light came on with a message that said: "Ok to drive with caution; stability control not available". They fixed that. They said that happened because a bunch of updates were required. Required BECM, PCM and EPIC software updates. Light is now off.
4) The seats stain very easily from just rain water. Turns out the seats are allegedly quite durable but the flame retardant spray that gets applied to the seats is what is causing the staining issue. But there is a technical bulletin for that and they removed the stains.
5) My low coolant warning lamp would go on and off each week for the past 2-3 months. It's a known problem on the 2020 vehicles. They fixed that also (there was a technical bulletin for that).
6) There was some rattle coming from the rear cargo area that they fixed. There is a part on back order that they want to attach in the trunk but the fix was adequate for me to pick it up. They will call me when that part arrives. Said it is a 10 minute job when it arrives.
7) Prior to getting the vehicle serviced, I would get a service reminder both on the vehicle itself and on my iPhone. They reset it on the vehicle. So the vehicle no longer tells me I need service but on my iPhone it still says I need service. Below is a screenshot. The dealer did not know how to get the alert off of my iPhone. Do any of you know the trick for removing that?
8) I was too nervous to go 21,000 miles w/o an oil change. So I did get an oil change earlier last year at the half way mark (10,500 miles give or take).

They had the vehicle for 4 days total to take care of everything. But I did get a nice loaner car (full size Discovery). The service guy was very friendly.

----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (04-05-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 08:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker Woods
Hi All,

So the Owner's Manual recommends getting the vehicle serviced every 21,000 miles or every 2 years (which ever comes first) on the P400 engine. I just had mine serviced this week (yes, hard to believe I put 21K miles on my Defender). Few comments:

1) Glad I got the pre-paid service plan (plus wear and tear). I had the 21,000 mile service plus requested wipers be replaced. That would have cost $1,289 plus taxes in New Jersey. But my invoice was $0 because of my service plan.
2) After the service while driving home, the vehicle was trying to download some update, but I got a notification that said "Memory full; Download cancelled". Has anyone else gotten that alert and know how to fix it?
3) About 2 or 3 weeks before the vehicle was serviced, the dynamic stability control light came on with a message that said: "Ok to drive with caution; stability control not available". They fixed that. They said that happened because a bunch of updates were required. Required BECM, PCM and EPIC software updates. Light is now off.
4) The seats stain very easily from just rain water. Turns out the seats are allegedly quite durable but the flame retardant spray that gets applied to the seats is what is causing the staining issue. But there is a technical bulletin for that and they removed the stains.
5) My low coolant warning lamp would go on and off each week for the past 2-3 months. It's a known problem on the 2020 vehicles. They fixed that also (there was a technical bulletin for that).
6) There was some rattle coming from the rear cargo area that they fixed. There is a part on back order that they want to attach in the trunk but the fix was adequate for me to pick it up. They will call me when that part arrives. Said it is a 10 minute job when it arrives.
7) Prior to getting the vehicle serviced, I would get a service reminder both on the vehicle itself and on my iPhone. They reset it on the vehicle. So the vehicle no longer tells me I need service but on my iPhone it still says I need service. Below is a screenshot. The dealer did not know how to get the alert off of my iPhone. Do any of you know the trick for removing that?
8) I was too nervous to go 21,000 miles w/o an oil change. So I did get an oil change earlier last year at the half way mark (10,500 miles give or take).

They had the vehicle for 4 days total to take care of everything. But I did get a nice loaner car (full size Discovery). The service guy was very friendly.

Thanks for the report.

Where in Jersey? I'm down here in Medford so we use Cherry Hill JLR. Though we haven't had service yet, I'm not impressed with the overall dealership so far.

Glad your experience seems good wherever that is.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:59 AM
Mudding

It was at Land Rover Englewood in NJ. It's a new dealership.

Originally Posted by Kev M
Thanks for the report.

Where in Jersey? I'm down here in Medford so we use Cherry Hill JLR. Though we haven't had service yet, I'm not impressed with the overall dealership so far.

Glad your experience seems good wherever that is.

Kev M (04-04-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 11:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

What is included in the 21k mile service that is almost 1300 dollars?

Old 04-04-2021, 06:07 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by evomind
What is included in the 21k mile service that is almost 1300 dollars?
Attached you can see what is included in the 21K mile service (all the items with check marks). The $1,289 (which I did not pay) also included replacing the wipers. So maybe it would be about $115 less if I had not requested that. But my invoice ended up being $0. The service prices are VERY expensive here in NYC and NJ which is why I got the pre-paid maintenance plus wear & tear plan.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:33 AM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 56 Posts

How much did you pay for the scheduled maintenance plan?

Old 04-04-2021, 11:16 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by MattEvan
How much did you pay for the scheduled maintenance plan?
I paid $5,6000 for the pre-paid maintenance plus wear & tear (which includes brake pads plus brake rotors x 2 sets). Also keep in mind I put a lot of miles on my vehicles--go thru brake pads quicker than most.
I did the approximate math on this and estimated I would pay $8,800 over the course of 4 yrs if I did not purchase because the hourly rates are so expensive at the NYC and NJ Land Rover dealerships.
Here is the approximate math if I had not purchased:
$1,289 Wipers plus 21,000 mile (first) service (exact cost pre-taxes)
$1,324 1st rear brake pad/rotors (estimate)
$115 Yr 2 front/rear wiper replacement
$1,324 Front brakes/rotors (approx cost)
$115 Yr 3 front/rear wiper replacement
$1,394 Rear brakes/rotors (approx cost before taxes)
$3,161 2nd service (42,000 mile) plus front brakes/rotors (estimated; includes tax)
$115 Yr 4 front/rear wiper replacement
$8,837 Estimated 4 yr grand total if did not have prepaid maintenance plan

angelboing (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:22 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I’m sorry that’s just crazy. I will pay for a 200 oil change at the dealership and that’s it to keep my warranty intact. I can do brakes from autozone for 40 bucks myself and wipers are 8 dollars.

The following 7 users liked this post by Mark1107:
ba_ (01-07-2024), evomind (04-05-2021), Magnumforc (04-06-2021), MattEvan (04-05-2021), merrion13 (04-05-2021), Ronin Defender (12-15-2022), sacharama (12-15-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-05-2021, 12:41 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1107
I’m sorry that’s just crazy. I will pay for a 200 oil change at the dealership and that’s it to keep my warranty intact. I can do brakes from autozone for 40 bucks myself and wipers are 8 dollars.
Seems Landrover brakes tend to be much, much more thanks to the 'no turn rotors' requirement plus the fact that they're heavy and go through rotors massively faster. Even my Evoque goes thru' rotors faorly fast.

I don't think it's just a $40 at Autozone anymore.

The following 2 users liked this post by expatbrit:
TrioLRowner (04-05-2021), Tucker Woods (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 01:10 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by expatbrit
Seems Landrover brakes tend to be much, much more thanks to the 'no turn rotors' requirement plus the fact that they're heavy and go through rotors massively faster. Even my Evoque goes thru' rotors faorly fast.

I don't think it's just a $40 at Autozone anymore.
One thing I can say too in regards to eating thru the brake pads, my 2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography had Dynamic Program Torque Vectoring. The torque vectoring ate thru the brake pads much more quickly than on my Disco and Defender. After my first service both on the Disco and Defender, I was stunned that they said the brake pads were fine and didn't need replacement. So I am finding that the brake pads do last longer if you don't have the torque vectoring.

Ronin Defender (12-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Had my First Service / Memory Full