Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which headlights do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024 | 08:50 PM
|
Mudding
Default Which headlights do I have?

Any way to tell which headlights I have on my 23.5 D110 S from looking at them?

Mine is a very low option vehicle that I assume only has the standard headlights. I've read through all of my equipment on the build sheet and didn't see anything that sounded like an upgraded light package, but I read so many people complaining about the standard headlights and I think mine are exceptionally bright (as do more than a few oncoming drivers).

Am I just easy to please, or did I get more than I thought?

Old 01-05-2024 | 09:53 PM
Rock Crawling

standard.
I have the same, not super bright and light area is not too my liking.

Old 01-05-2024 | 11:05 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by TeddyG
standard.
I have the same, not super bright and light area is not too my liking.
I guess I'm not sure what I'm missing. These are excellent lights! I live in a rural area where it gets REALLY dark. My last 20 miles home is narrow two lane, and at 55-60 mph without high beams I have more than adequate lights.

I guess we all have different expectations, but I'm happy.

The following 5 users liked this post by Husky44:
DefendMe (01-08-2024), Migs8416 (01-07-2024), paule (01-06-2024), Ratledge (01-07-2024), WTFChuck (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024 | 08:44 AM
Three Wheeling

Interesting! I have a 23.5 110S as well and always assumed I had the base headlight set due to my lower level specification, like having the analog gauge cluster. But after seeing your picture here it appears I have the fancier “matrix” style even though I don’t recall optioning anything to get that. I wonder if this was just a semiconductor storage luck of the draw for my particular build.

Mine look like this: https://www.powerfuluk.com/collectio...-defender-l663

Old 01-06-2024 | 05:36 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mdgs
Interesting! I have a 23.5 110S as well and always assumed I had the base headlight set due to my lower level specification, like having the analog gauge cluster. But after seeing your picture here it appears I have the fancier “matrix” style even though I don’t recall optioning anything to get that. I wonder if this was just a semiconductor storage luck of the draw for my particular build.

Mine look like this: https://www.powerfuluk.com/collectio...-defender-l663
Reading your post, it got me to thinking about my current headlights. Just watched PowerfulUK’s vids explaining the three levels of headlights, which are Standard, Premium, and Matrix. Husky44 has the Standard, yours have the same appearance as mine which according to my build sheet and window sticker are Premium. However, as PowerfulUK describes in his video, there is very little difference in the appearance between Premium and Matrix, except as he explains in the video looking into the center of the light source he claims there are a few LEDs in the Premium while the Matrix has many more in a “matrix” pattern. I just checked mine and I was unable to see the difference he cites. Then I went to Land Rover website and began a build and found no mention of Matrix headlights either offered as an option or upgrade, or any level model that has the Matrix as standard. All levels of build either state Standard or Premium, with the Premium lights including Auto High beam assist and Auto leveling. When I built mine two years ago, I vaguely remember seeing options for an upgrade to Matrix, but can find no mention of Matrix nor option to upgrade on current builds. According to PowerfulUK’s video, the only definitive way is to check the part number on the headlight assembly.

The following users liked this post:
Husky44 (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024 | 06:56 PM
Winching

Update: After more research and video watching, it appears that Matrix are not available in the U.S., at least at the moment. NHTSA had not allowed them previously but some recent changes in the vehicle manufacturing regulations appear to open the door for newer models to include them. This also will allow for ADB, adaptive driving beam, and AFS, adaptive front lighting system. That explains why I couldn’t find any option/upgrade for Matrix lighting. When I went to landrover.uk, I could build a Defender with Matrix, and also Pixel lighting and Pixel w/laser. And even if one were to source Matrix light assemblies and swap them out, more changes need to be made to the Pivi computer to allow activation. Future builds may include this option, but for our vehicles we are locked into this configuration. I’m not lamenting this as although it is an advancement in the technology, my Defender suits me just fine the way it is.

The following 2 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
Husky44 (01-06-2024), Ratledge (01-07-2024)
Old 01-06-2024 | 09:47 PM
Mudding

Matrix not available in USA. If retrofitted you will have beams pointed to the wrong side of the road. Thread on that piece of info somewhere here.

Old 01-07-2024 | 09:11 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by SilverSFR
Matrix not available in USA. If retrofitted you will have beams pointed to the wrong side of the road. Thread on that piece of info somewhere here.
That is correct, the headlight assemblies come as a right and a left, and this needs to be taken into account for left or right hand drive vehicles. They are not interchangeable. Whichever headlight is the drivers side, depending on the country, has a different light pattern so as not to blind oncoming traffic, but the passenger side lights up the shoulder and side of the road in a wider, taller pattern.

Old 01-07-2024 | 03:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Great digging @WTFChuck and do not question your assessment whatsoever but in my own digging found this old post where someone seems to indicate it’s possible with current hardware. Maybe I missed something here?

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...-110774/page2/

Old 01-08-2024 | 07:27 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by mdgs
Great digging @WTFChuck and do not question your assessment whatsoever but in my own digging found this old post where someone seems to indicate it’s possible with current hardware. Maybe I missed something here?

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...-110774/page2/
Good find, there is so much info out there, some conflicting at times. I get most of my info from Simon at PowerfulUK, but I have seen the claims from these aftermarket software tweaks. Although, at $2500 for what amounts to a minor enhancement, I’ll pass on that. After watching the vids, the effect on the lighting while driving is barely discernible at times.

The following users liked this post:
mdgs (01-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Which headlights do I have?