Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help finding wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 10:06 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help finding wheels

I recently purchased a 2021 Defender 110 SE and it has the stock wheels/tires. I want to upgrade to larger size but also slight offset so it matches the new fender flares I purchased. I know zero about wheel offset, etc. so any recommendations and/or photos would be appreciated! I want offroad style in case I actually go offroading.

Old 08-28-2023, 03:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Lots of opinions on this topic. I'm of the school that says more sidewall is better for off-roading so I went the route of modifying the rear calipers and fitted 18" wheels. There are several threads on DYI and 3rd party solutions for this. If you just want a larger tire on your stock rims, there's a thread pinned to this forum that lists what folks have done. If you're interested in sorting through the details of wheel and tire changes, try playing around with this site - Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com

The following users liked this post:
DonMitsu (08-30-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 03:48 PM
8th Gear

Sure- it may make more sense to keep my stock rims and add bigger offroad tires.. how do I find that thread?

Old 08-28-2023, 03:53 PM
Rock Crawling

It's the thread https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...ogress-101530/ pinned to the top of this forum.

You really need to sort out how you plan on using your Defender. If it's highway and in town and want an option of doing some trail work, you may consider going to a "mild AT" tire which is very forgiving on pavement. If you want to tackle aggressive trails or just want something that looks tough, then there are a whole bunch of dedicated off-road tires available. Just note, the more aggressive the tire, the noisier and harsher the ride will be on pavement. And often, handling response and stopping in dry and wet will be impacted.

Last edited by POPTOPP; 08-28-2023 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:55 PM
8th Gear

I'm probably leaning toward the mild AT tires.. just being realistic. What do you suggest?

Old 08-29-2023, 02:17 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mrrodger
I'm probably leaning toward the mild AT tires.. just being realistic. What do you suggest?

I just replaced the Pirelli scorpions that came on my defender with the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure tires that are offered by Land Rover as an option. Many here will tell u to stay away due to them not being a true off-road tire. I myself do not do any heavy off roading anymore. Did plenty with my Rubicon. Now Just a few trails sometime, when fishing. 95% of my use is highway & these tires perform great for a mild AT. Quiet & handle really well! If u hunt around, u can possibly find a forum member that wants to sell.

mrrodger (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 06:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by dshark1
I just replaced the Pirelli scorpions that came on my defender with the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure tires that are offered by Land Rover as an option. Many here will tell u to stay away due to them not being a true off-road tire. I myself do not do any heavy off roading anymore. Did plenty with my Rubicon. Now Just a few trails sometime, when fishing. 95% of my use is highway & these tires perform great for a mild AT. Quiet & handle really well! If u hunt around, u can possibly find a forum member that wants to sell.
I'll agree that the GY Wranglers are good in rain and with a less aggressive tread pattern, they are also quiet on the road and really good in soft beach sand. However, be aware that they are terrible on ice and snow. Other mild AT tires like the Falken Wildpeak will be better in winter if you're not running dedicated winter tires.

The following 2 users liked this post by PaulLR:
dshark1 (08-29-2023), gb1044 (04-23-2024)
Old 08-29-2023, 07:20 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mrrodger
There is a comparison of AT tires on TireRack. Tire Test Results : Testing On-/Off-Road All-Terrain Tires 2021 (tirerack.com) I run Vredestein Pinza AT and may be the only one on this forum to do so.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
There is a comparison of AT tires on TireRack. Tire Test Results : Testing On-/Off-Road All-Terrain Tires 2021 (tirerack.com) I run Vredestein Pinza AT and may be the only one on this forum to do so.
Both of our Defenders will need tires next spring when I take off the winter tires. Plan on putting Falken Wildpeaks on one and Vredestein Pinza AT's on the other one. Those Pinza AT's have excellent reviews as a light duty AT tire.

POPTOPP (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 08:58 AM
8th Gear

Is this it? And will the look good with my add-on fender flares? I'm wondering if I need wider wheels so the tires match the width of the flares..?

Quick Reply: Help finding wheels