Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please from any who have completed Lucky8 rock slider install

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 03:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Help please from any who have completed Lucky8 rock slider install

I think there is a mistake in the Lucky8 Rock slider install directions .... or I am utterly confused all around.

I am about to drill the holes to fit the rivnuts which hold on the metal trim piece beneath the front and rear doors. In the attached instruction page, I believe either the word "front" needs to be "rear" or the 8" distance needs to 6". Following the direction as written disagrees with the RH and LH stickers on the trim pieces AND does not line up the Lucky 8 part holes with the holes already in vehicle.

Did any of you run into and resolve this question?

Thank you for your assistance.

Attached Files
Old 05-21-2021, 05:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

There are many mistakes in the instructions, but that is not one of the ones I found. The trim plates lined up perfectly for me after I finally figured out how to slide them into place from the rear of the car. The major mistake I found is they didn’t tell you to remove this one bolt under the sill on each side, and I only realized it had to go when the sliders bolted up crooked. I also didn’t like the way the car sounded without the fiberboard sandwiched between the trans protection plates, so I cut the ends to get that back into place. Not sure why your trim plates don’t line up though; mine lined up perfectly.

Old 05-22-2021, 12:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Tartan. Yes, I encountered the challenge of the two bolts to be removed, as well as the difficulty in sliding the trim piece into position.

I just finished one side of the trim piece and am very surprised to see there is no place to which to secure the rear wheel trim black plastic piece — the bottom is just kind of flapping there. How did you handle this ?

Old 05-22-2021, 04:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Look carefully at the holes and if I remember correctly you’ll see where a couple of clips can go in to secure it. I used some I got off eBay that looked like they’d fit and they did, but you can probably reuse some or get some at the dealer. Another thing left out of the instructions. Or maybe I have it wrong and I’m thinking of the front piece. Either way, see if there aren’t a few places to slide clips in.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@Tartan and @TrioLRowner - I'm now in the middle of this install. What bolt are you referring to? I don't like the way my sill plate went on and have been re-reading threads only to find out that the installation instructions were wrong! Good thing I've only installed one. I'll go flip them and try to see if they line up better on existing holes. Oh well, I have one side with a bunch of spare rivnuts that I'll never see. I found it was easier to slide the sill plates behind the rear wheel trim while it was still loose. I have pics and will do yet another install thread after I'm done. But for now, still in the works. If you can take a pic of the approximate area or describe it, I'll go looking when I redo/recheck if the plates are correctly sided. I'd rather pull it and test than add another set of holes to the other side....Major pita, these instructions.

The following users liked this post:
mdgs (04-11-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 08:39 AM
Rock Crawling

It's been a long time, but the two bolts that needed to be removed were on the bottom of the sill plate, not the side of the car. They weren't mentioned in the instructions, but needed to be removed or the entire slider would be out of position a bit. As far as the trim, I have almost no memory of how it all fit together, but I vaguely remember needing to add some clips to the plastic trim to keep it in place. Sorry, I just don't remember where they went except that there are existing holes that you can use if you get the right clips. I got a variety pack off eBay and they came in handy. It all worked somehow.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

NP. I can't remember most things from last week! I had to unexpectedly take bolts off the rear where the wheel was to fit the spacer for the slider. That was a HUGE pita as it wasn't clear. Also, that bolt was the only short one and needs to be thrown FAR away as it won't help in the subsequent reuse. Perhaps that was the bolt you two referred to. Also, the clips were a HUGE help and I already had a set. Cheers.

Old 04-10-2023, 12:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ah yes, I now also recall the spacer bolts removal which was necessary, exactly as described by GrouseK9. I recall the replacement bolt which came with the kit was longer -- as he describes.

The two bolts (one on each side) which surprised us were tightened into vertical threads which played no part in holding anything in place and were intended to be used for one of the bolts which held each slider. I seem to recall they were about 1/3 the way down the slider from the front and about six inches in from the sill. In any case, you will find these two easily -- because they will get in the way of the slider and they will be at the same point as a mounting hole drilled in the slider.

The bottom line of the trim piece is that THEY ARE SIDE SPECIFIC -- NOT INTERCHANGEABLE LEFT TO RIGHT -- the hole spacings are not even and THEY ARE NOT MARKED ! It was random luck that Tartan apparently picked up the unmarked trim pieces and tried the correct Left on the left side and the same with the Right. I was not so lucky, and inadvertently attempted to line them up in the wrong places -- LEFT on the right side and RIGHT on the left side.

Wisely, I slowed down and thought it out and checked by swapping sides and all was ideal.

Let us know how it goes !!

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 11:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, much about my install experience was random luck. That’s the way I roll.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tartan:
GrouseK9 (04-11-2023), TrioLRowner (04-11-2023)