Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi from Reno, NV-

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023 | 10:46 AM
|
Drifting
Default Hi from Reno, NV-

Hello! I was hoping not to have to join a new forum after spending 3 years of my life on the Bronco6G forum waiting for my Bronco (still on order) and 6 months on the F150 Lightning forum and then deciding that a $90k electric truck wasn't in my future. We've admired the Defender from afar and I think the additional space/luxury over the Bronco is worth the extra spend. After lurking for months, I guess I should join now that I have the ride on hand.

We just picked up a 2020 D110 with ALMOST everything I wanted. Adaptive Cruise, Cold Pack, Air Suspension, adventure pack (nice to have the air compressor), tow hitch. I could not find for the life of me a car with the offroad package. I really wanted the rear diff lock. I just did a search and found an offroad pack, but it didn't have the adaptive cruise or cold pack, which at this price point were musts for me. How disappointed will I be without the rear locker?

We're gonna use this as an overlander with some daily use. We have a 2015 e350 wagon as well. 2 kids and 2 big dogs

Things to fix:
PiviPro won't update due to battery issue. I guess it sat on the lot for a while, so may try after a couple longer drives. Any other tips?
TSB for Proximity keys
Cargo LED out

Planned Mods:
Front Runner Slimline rack (en route)
Tuxmats (installed)
LR Dog Barrier (installed)
18" wheel mod and Terra Grappers, once the Wranglers wear out
Powerful UK- reverse lights, cargo light, ext hood graphic
1.5" lift rods
offroad lights
winch?
rock sliders?
RTT?
Ladder?

Looking forward to learning more about what has worked for all of you!

no good pics yet!

Jon

The following 4 users liked this post by RenoDefender:
GrouseK9 (01-10-2023), jusmax88 (01-09-2023), markjlr (01-10-2023), MattF (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023 | 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Hey Jon, welcome! Looks like we will just about be twins when you're done! If you have any questions on FR install (be careful about the bolts if you don't know) or accessories def let me know. I just added front and rear lights to my FR rack with their brackets and their wind fairing and loving it all so far. Already done about 2k miles with them on (Tx-Tahoe) and the wind noise wasn't affected at all after adding lights.

I have Lucky8 sliders which are probably the most popular for the Defender at the moment. Others offering are Tuffant, Sarek, voyager.

I am waiting to do the winch as part of the Lucky8 front bumper when they release it.

Old 01-09-2023 | 03:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Welcome Jon! When doing a software update, turn off cellular data and connect the Defender to your home WIFI. Must better chance that the software updates will load correctly.

Old 01-09-2023 | 09:03 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by inater
Hey Jon, welcome! Looks like we will just about be twins when you're done! If you have any questions on FR install (be careful about the bolts if you don't know) or accessories def let me know. I just added front and rear lights to my FR rack with their brackets and their wind fairing and loving it all so far. Already done about 2k miles with them on (Tx-Tahoe) and the wind noise wasn't affected at all after adding lights.

I have Lucky8 sliders which are probably the most popular for the Defender at the moment. Others offering are Tuffant, Sarek, voyager.

I am waiting to do the winch as part of the Lucky8 front bumper when they release it.

Looks great!

I'm leaning towards those sliders as well and then add the inserts for the littles to climb up in to the cab.

Which light bar did you go with? Rough Country? Your set up looks good. I'm leaning towards the look of individual lights, but its pricey.

I was going to get the smaller rack, but switched the same one you have just today. I'll have the local overland shop install. Going to do the fairing too, that looks good on there.

Old 01-09-2023 | 09:03 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Welcome Jon! When doing a software update, turn off cellular data and connect the Defender to your home WIFI. Must better chance that the software updates will load correctly.

​​​​​​​I'm going to try that right now. I had both CELL and WIFI connected. I'll disconnect the cell. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-10-2023 | 01:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by RenoDefender
Looks great!

I'm leaning towards those sliders as well and then add the inserts for the littles to climb up in to the cab.

Which light bar did you go with? Rough Country? Your set up looks good. I'm leaning towards the look of individual lights, but its pricey.

I was going to get the smaller rack, but switched the same one you have just today. I'll have the local overland shop install. Going to do the fairing too, that looks good on there.
Ya, I think the full rack is a good call. You will fill it up much faster than you would think.

For lights, I did go with Rough Country. I went with these lights on the back - https://www.roughcountry.com/6in-led...s-70706bl.html. Just wanted more visibility when camping and backing up in the wilderness.
On the front, I went with this bar https://www.roughcountry.com/40-inch...940blkdrl.html. The shop I used charged $1,300 for install of both sets of lights and ran them down my rack into the rear side pieces of the car and then underneath the car through my sliders and into the front. Seemed like a great option compared to having them tucked into the A-Pillar which people have had issues with or dropping the headliner.

Here is the wind fairing that I have https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...mm-1255mm.html

Old 01-10-2023 | 06:24 AM
Drifting

If you don’t receive the latest software updates using the above suggestion, try signing out of your InControl account in the vehicle then sign in again.

I stopped receiving updates, did this, and they started updating again after a few hours.

I left my 2020 HSE connected to home Wi-Fi in the garage. Seemed to do the trick.

The following users liked this post:
EasternShoreDefender (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023 | 09:43 AM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by inater
Ya, I think the full rack is a good call. You will fill it up much faster than you would think.

For lights, I did go with Rough Country. I went with these lights on the back - https://www.roughcountry.com/6in-led...s-70706bl.html. Just wanted more visibility when camping and backing up in the wilderness.
On the front, I went with this bar https://www.roughcountry.com/40-inch...940blkdrl.html. The shop I used charged $1,300 for install of both sets of lights and ran them down my rack into the rear side pieces of the car and then underneath the car through my sliders and into the front. Seemed like a great option compared to having them tucked into the A-Pillar which people have had issues with or dropping the headliner.

Here is the wind fairing that I have https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...mm-1255mm.html
Awesome, thank you. I came across the thread that discusses the bolt issue you mentioned as it relates to the factory rails. Did you have that issue like others? I've sent the threads to my shop to give them a heads up to see if we can get ahead of it.

Did you have to do the TSB for the proximity sensors ?

Old 01-10-2023 | 09:44 AM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by woo90
If you don’t receive the latest software updates using the above suggestion, try signing out of your InControl account in the vehicle then sign in again.

I stopped receiving updates, did this, and they started updating again after a few hours.

I left my 2020 HSE connected to home Wi-Fi in the garage. Seemed to do the trick.
Cool. I tried the cell off, wifi on last night. Fingers crossed. Had you seen the PowerfulUK video on having to plug the car into a trickle charger?
I hope thats not the case for me.

I also tried to register via incontrol, but it didn't take. i wonder if it is the same cell issue. I'll try again.

Old 01-10-2023 | 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by RenoDefender
Hello! I was hoping not to have to join a new forum after spending 3 years of my life on the Bronco6G forum waiting for my Bronco (still on order) and 6 months on the F150 Lightning forum and then deciding that a $90k electric truck wasn't in my future. We've admired the Defender from afar and I think the additional space/luxury over the Bronco is worth the extra spend. After lurking for months, I guess I should join now that I have the ride on hand.

We just picked up a 2020 D110 with ALMOST everything I wanted. Adaptive Cruise, Cold Pack, Air Suspension, adventure pack (nice to have the air compressor), tow hitch. I could not find for the life of me a car with the offroad package. I really wanted the rear diff lock. I just did a search and found an offroad pack, but it didn't have the adaptive cruise or cold pack, which at this price point were musts for me. How disappointed will I be without the rear locker?

We're gonna use this as an overlander with some daily use. We have a 2015 e350 wagon as well. 2 kids and 2 big dogs

Jon
I don't have a rear locker. I've been hitting the trails every six weeks or so for a year. Never had an issue on rock, mud or sand. Certainly, it will come in use in some extreme situations, but I haven't found a situation yet. If your focus is on overlanding, you'll be fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by POPTOPP:
ficklma1 (01-10-2023), TrioLRowner (01-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Hi from Reno, NV-