2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Lift Jack Mount Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 10:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts
Default High Lift Jack Mount Suggestions?

Well, now that I've got a high-lift jack, I'm not sure of the best way to secure the jack to my expedition roof rack. I was going to stow the jack front to back and secure it to the cross bars with simple nylon web straps. Anyone come up with a better method?

Old 06-22-2022, 12:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,305 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
Well, now that I've got a high-lift jack, I'm not sure of the best way to secure the jack to my expedition roof rack. I was going to stow the jack front to back and secure it to the cross bars with simple nylon web straps. Anyone come up with a better method?
I use a couple of these for a shovel. Might work for your hi-lift

They're good for up to 25lbs a clamp apparently.

They anchor to the rack with Thule M6 bolts.

The following users liked this post:
LRDEF2LR (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 12:39 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
The following users liked this post:
POPTOPP (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 04:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts

Seriously? $158 for that?

Old 06-23-2022, 06:15 AM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't say it was a great deal....

Old 06-27-2022, 08:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jacking points?

I have to say, I don’t understand people’s fascination with high-lift jacks. I find them to be a dangerous and poor choice of tool for almost all lifting situations.

I have a lifted Defender 110 with rock sliders. The tubular shape of the sliders makes them unsuitable for jacking with a high lift without a special adapter. I also have no tow hitch. This means I have zero points from which to jack with a high-lift.

Other than possibly your tow hitch, which will only allow you to lift the rear, where are you planning on jacking the vehicle from? You have no jack points for a high-lift on the vehicle. It will do you no good at all. I suggest you ditch your new roof ornament and get a bottle jack and jack base instead.

Last edited by littledetails; 06-27-2022 at 09:17 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by littledetails:
Chrisbob (08-07-2023), LRDEF2LR (06-27-2022), Tartan (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 10:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

I think they have limited use with a Defender without sliders. I used to love it for my previous off-road vehicles, but with the Defender - it's actually better to go cheaper and get a bottle jack. Again, if you have sliders, then you have the option. I just have no clue how you would use it, especially with the odd angles typically experienced. Unless of course it's used as a come-along type scenario.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I think they have limited use with a Defender without sliders. I used to love it for my previous off-road vehicles, but with the Defender - it's actually better to go cheaper and get a bottle jack. Again, if you have sliders, then you have the option. I just have no clue how you would use it, especially with the odd angles typically experienced. Unless of course it's used as a come-along type scenario.
@GrouseK9

If you don't mind me asking, which bottle jack did you end up getting? I lost track of the other thread.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
@GrouseK9

If you don't mind me asking, which bottle jack did you end up getting? I lost track of the other thread.
Safe Jacks make a quality line of products. If you can get an Omega brand jack, that is probably the best option in the US. If you lifted your vehicle like I did, you may need 2 jacks and extensions to get your tires fully off the ground. That's the situation I'm currently in, although I just purchased a two-stage telescoping jack from Heyner in Germany that can reach a max height of 20", and am hopeful that will allow me to ditch the 2nd jack.

Last edited by littledetails; 06-27-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:27 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by littledetails
Safe Jacks make a quality line of products. If you can get an Omega brand jack, that is probably the best option in the US. If you lifted your vehicle like I did, you may need 2 jacks and extensions to get your tires fully off the ground. That's the situation I'm currently in, although I just purchased a two-stage telescoping jack from Heyner in Germany that can reach a max height of 20", and am hopeful that will allow me to ditch the 2nd jack.
I've no lift. I had a little test run at mirroring an off-road jacking situation with the OEM jack and using my MaxTrax as a platform. Parked in a softish area, I used some sand/dirt on the board to make a platform for the scissors jack. Worked pretty well but I true off road muddy swamp it was not.

Quick Reply: High Lift Jack Mount Suggestions?