Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
No worries. I did't mean to pry.
Oh I didn't take it that way at all.

Old 06-04-2022, 11:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
You all can "That's how everyone drives in Florida" all you want. Dumbass was passing everyone at +30mph in the far right lane. He deserved what he got. The other idiot also contributed no doubt but they were like ships passing in the night. Two morons trying to occupy the same space at the same time.
I can honestly say, and I think most people who drive in South Florida, Orlando, maybe Tampa, and the Turnpike would confirm. About once a week some complete lunatic blows by in the right lane or in between lanes going at least 50 over the speed limit. You'll be doing 80 in a 65 and they'll speed up behind you to ride 3 feet off your *** in a f*cking Armada with no brakes.

I'm not waiving it off, I'm just numb. You move out of the way and let them get on with it. You can't fix trash, mental illness, drugs, whatever it is. I will not get into some pointless road rage incident because I can't just move over for a few seconds and let sh*t go.

Very few drawbacks​​​​ to living here. This is one.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 06-05-2022 at 06:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GrouseK9 (06-07-2022), PaulLR (06-06-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 12:36 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

i was in Orlando for a trip and i can contest a lot of drivers drive horribly. i was really surprised and automatically thought the drivers were on something.

this truck was speeding towards every driver and then slamming on their brakes till you moved over. saw the guy do the same thing for miles

Old 06-05-2022, 10:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,166 Likes on 626 Posts

Defender driver absolutely at fault. Can't see well enough to know if the other driver had their right turn signal on etc and indeed that other car did make a sudden move. But the Defender driver could have seen that car already move over one lane, and slowed down. I certainly would have done so.

BTW whether you are passing on the left or the right, that level of speed difference in a congested setting is asking for trouble.

Defender or not, this is the *opposite* of Defensive driving

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 10:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

Yeah, no.

Lnberger (06-13-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 10:37 AM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

Living in southern Florida and reading Allegedly’s post, and some of the comments, I wanted to add my two cents. Yes, the Defender was passing on the right. And yes, he was definitely at a higher speed than the other traffic, so he bears partial responsibility. But after driving here for 10 years, you need to experience it to understand it. The majority of the time, the only open lane is the right lane, so unless you want to sit stacked up behind 30 vehicles trapped behind a landscape trailer being towed by a rundown pickup truck who has occupied that lane for the last 10 miles, you pass on the right. They DO NOT, and WILL NOT move over for anybody. Doesn’t make it totally right, but it’s the only option. The other driver however, decided to take the exit, from four lanes over, 200 hundred feet before the ramp, without using a signal, which for some reason in Florida must be forbidden by law, under any circumstances. EVERYONE travels in the left lane, there is no ‘SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT’ observation or, ‘NO TRUCKS OR TRAILERS IN THE LEFT LANE’ adherence. After driving through most of our states, I can attest that these are some of the most aggressive and ignorant drivers in the country, my opinion only. Driving home last night on I95, at the tail end of the tropical system with high winds and rain, with not another car within a mile, open road, a beautiful new Range Rover passed me at high speed, cutting in front of me with about six feet to spare, no signal of course, so I TAPPED my high beams to let him know, ‘hey there are other people on the road’, only to set this guy into a psychotic episode whereby he slowed to 30 miles an hour, brake checked me numerous times, and when I tried to go around him, tried to swerve into me and drive me off the road. He proceeded to continue this behavior for the next five miles, until gripping the wheel with white knuckles I was able to reach my exit and escape this maniac. Unfortunately, a simple tap of the high beams is all it takes to set these types off. I’m sure some may think it was my fault for doing so, and those I invite to be a passenger for an hour with me and you will be shocked at what you witness. That is why I have front and rear dash cams, and my companion, Siggy. Also known as Sig-Sauer P365. Please everyone, drive safe, use signals, and get where you are going alive.

The following 4 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
catman (06-06-2022), Elektrapops (06-09-2022), Mechano2020 (06-06-2022), TestnDoc (06-11-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 11:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts

I lived in South Florida for a decade so I can confirm. Chaos reigns supreme on the roads

The following 2 users liked this post by CombatNinja:
WTFChuck (06-05-2022), _Allegedly (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 12:05 PM
Winching
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts

i'm sure they are ok - LR built tough

Old 06-05-2022, 05:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 397 Likes on 201 Posts

I lived in Miami for 18 years. In fact one of the founders of Pinecrest, FL. I originally went there while I was a NOAA Corps officer, flying the Hurricane research WP-3D's and Twin Otters in AK (while there was no wind to study). South Florida degraded significantly after hurricane Andrew. Somehow, it spread some kind of brain virus, which affected a large percentage of the population. Personally I learned to drive in Naples, Italy. So I can be mildly aggressive in my own driving. However, in South Florida, they are just plain stupid bad drivers, with a real sense of entitlement. Then you mix in tourists, foreign & domestic, real recipe for mayhem. After selling my business that was based there, finally said, "self, why the F*** are we still here?" So 22 yeas ago sold the house for an immense profit and moved to Flag. Got twice the house for half the money. When the boys learned to drive. I explained how in a small community. You drive like the lunatics in South Florida. That person you just showed your a$$ to may pull up next to you in the Safeway parking lot and beat all your windows in with an axe handle. It is the no accountability that makes people behave that way. It is also nothing new. Disney made a cartoon about the transformation of meek people once behind the wheel in the 30's.

The comment about the right lane being the only clear spot is actually true. There was a joke circulating when I was there (sorry Canadians). How do you spot a Canadian? They will be in the left lane, with the left turn signal on, going 45. We also had jokes about the "Z" car invasion. They used to issue rentals plates that started with "Z". Tourists made life a living hell there. Much like RV's and dweebs towing gigantic trailer do for us here. Reading the Sunday Miami Herald was always a laugh. Florida Man always had a new slant on how to kill or injure himself robbing something or being stupid in his car. Heck there was a car one day in a tree 10' off the ground on Old Cutler. It's flat! Again, tourists loose something on the road. Those very same RV's and Trailer town folk forget how big their rig is and at least once a month the good old Santa Fe train will cut RV's rear, towed jeep or trailer off (we have 3 level crossings in town).

WTFChuck (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Wow !! The Defender driver turned left sharply, and seemed to somehow get catapulted by the back end of the transport truck .. amazing.

Glad not one was hurt.
I think it's a combination of the back left wheel getting clipped by the car, over-correct from the driver and these things are just that gangly at that speed.

Also a big question. This happened right when the Defender hit the two solid white lines on the right so it would have kicked itself back to the left. Emergency lane departure is a pretty solid push. That probably multiplied the driver input?

​I have a lower confidence level in this truck above 90 than I've had in a lot of other trucks. Looking at the typical front end damage on the seemingly always-low-milage Copart Defenders tells me a lot of people got a little too comfortable before they learn the limits of the vehicle. You can't drive it like an X5, Q5, whatever.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 06-06-2022 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: High Speed Highway Rollover