Sponsored by:

Hitch Mounted Bike Rack on a 110

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 08:52 PM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBreeze
Sweet set up Rob!
Any movement on the road with the RackAttach? Are you able to fold up the 1Up rack and still clear the spare?
BTW - Nice choices on MTB's! I've got a StumpJumper Comp, 2 Levo's (my wife and I) a Vado (mine) and Como (hers) - the e-assist bikes are as much fun I've had on a bike since I was 12 years old...
Hi,

No movement from the Rack Attach, it's solidly bolted to the hitch with the anti rattle device. I can fold up the 1up rack, and clear the tire. What I didn't check was to see if when down and not loaded with bikes, if the rear door clears the top of the bike rack. I will give that a try when I go riding next.

I'm a diehard Specialized guy, and love your stable of bikes. Sounds like you have way more than I do. I have tried to limit myself to only 1 expensive bike at a time. I might change that next year.

Rob

Rob

Old 03-22-2021, 01:45 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks Awesome! Setup and Bikes! Appreciate the photo with the swing arm action.

I've got the 1up Heavy Duty using four down to two bikes, works great even with one a Levo (ebike), and I'm using the 7" AntiWobble to work around the spare, but planning on replacing the extension with the RakAttach,

Q just confirming that is the "Large" size you have (vs medium).

Old 03-22-2021, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use 1up too and love it. Been looking at the rakattach vs kuat Pivot, Q: how does the pivot deal with anti wobble in the connection to the defender's hitch, is there more than the safety bolt to keep the pivot wiggle with the defender hitch solid? How easy is it to inspect & retighten. I have an old kuat rack that had a nut wiggle loose, like all things probably needed more regular inspection of all connections. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2021, 06:08 PM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ipe

Single rack folded up
Great to see all these different options and the real world thoughts from owners who have actually been living with these racks. In the pic quoted here, will the spare tire and rear door clear the tray so you can fully open the door?

Old 03-22-2021, 06:40 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by TT2212
Looks Awesome! Setup and Bikes! Appreciate the photo with the swing arm action.

I've got the 1up Heavy Duty using four down to two bikes, works great even with one a Levo (ebike), and I'm using the 7" AntiWobble to work around the spare, but planning on replacing the extension with the RakAttach,

Q just confirming that is the "Large" size you have (vs medium).
Yes, I ordered the large version.

Rob

Old 03-22-2021, 06:42 PM
Mudding

I use 1up too and love it. Been looking at the rakattach vs kuat Pivot, Q: how does the pivot deal with anti wobble in the connection to the defender's hitch, is there more than the safety bolt to keep the pivot wiggle with the defender hitch solid? How easy is it to inspect & retighten. I have an old kuat rack that had a nut wiggle loose, like all things probably needed more regular inspection of all connections. Thanks!
There is a lock on the other end of the bolt, so you wouldn't have a total catastrophic failure, By the time it would loosen, you would likely hear it banging around in the hitch going over bumps.

Rob

Old 03-22-2021, 11:22 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by crewcabrob
Hi,

No movement from the Rack Attach, it's solidly bolted to the hitch with the anti rattle device. I can fold up the 1up rack, and clear the tire. What I didn't check was to see if when down and not loaded with bikes, if the rear door clears the top of the bike rack. I will give that a try when I go riding next.

I'm a diehard Specialized guy, and love your stable of bikes. Sounds like you have way more than I do. I have tried to limit myself to only 1 expensive bike at a time. I might change that next year.

Rob

Rob
Great info Rob. Thanks.
It would be nice to be able to leave the RackAttach and 1Up attached for the better part of the season and knowing you can fold it up behind the spare means not having to take it on and off all the time. I'm currently using a Thule T2 Pro XT on my RAM 2500, but always taking it on and off each time I use it as with it mounted and folded, the truck is too long to fit in the garage with it installed. Fortunately, the rack can be loosened by hand. Once the Defender arrives, the length is less so it should fit in the garage with the rack attached.
Scott

Last edited by MrBreeze; 03-22-2021 at 11:29 PM. Reason: adding my name.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:58 AM
Ipe
7th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by majl
Great to see all these different options and the real world thoughts from owners who have actually been living with these racks. In the pic quoted here, will the spare tire and rear door clear the tray so you can fully open the door?
In this position, NO, it will not clear. In the horizontal position, YES, it will clear the single rack. I didn't try the double but there's minimal clearance (maybe 1/2") with the single so I really doubt a double will clear.

The following users liked this post:
majl (03-24-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 07:03 AM
Ipe
7th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Kuat tightening device is very similar to 1UP. It is VERY secure with essentially NO rattle, sway, wiggle, etc.

When I assembled it I used blue loctite on all bolts. That should help the lock washers do their thing.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:55 PM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ipe
In this position, NO, it will not clear. In the horizontal position, YES, it will clear the single rack. I didn't try the double but there's minimal clearance (maybe 1/2") with the single so I really doubt a double will clear.
Thanks for the reply; this is what I needed to know. Doesn't look like I will be able to leave it mounted then since the Defender will be my wife's vehicle. She will not want to deal with folding the rack up and down every time she wants access to the rear.

Quick Reply: Hitch Mounted Bike Rack on a 110