Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest discussion about longevity

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 07:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Update: I am now at 52K miles in my P300 2020 110S Defender. I continued to be surprised at my brake wear rate being so low.
Thanks for the update TrioLRowner! I recently said the same thing about the brakes. Our 2021 brake pads look half-worn at 40K miles. These are really durable pads and rotors. We were lucky if a set of LR4 brakes even made it to 40K miles.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:56 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

I've got a '21 with 39K on it so far. Lots of long trips, quite a bit of offroading and overlanding. I love this car. Absolutely love it.

However, here's my list of things gone wrong
1. Aux Radiator Leak - According to the dealership, mine was the first one known to have this issue, had to wait a week for a new one - YAY me!
2. Alternator failure - Sad to say I have had several LRs over the last 20 years and this is the first time one of them has not gotten me home.
3. Doors not unlocking with the exterior push-button - this was a service alert, got fixed but they had the thing damn near 2 weeks!
4. Driver side rear door sagging, difficult to open - another service alert, fixed easily in a few hours
5. CEL related to oil temp sensor - replaced- no more issues
6. Transmission was whining heavily under acceleration- transmission updated (who knew a thing was even possible!? Still getting used to these new cars...) Zero issues after the update
6. Clearview rear-view mirror had water ingress. Completely grayed out the video feed, water was clearly inside the camera. Replaced under warranty, and immediately happened again a few weeks later. I'm waiting for my upcoming appt to get it fixed again, anyone else have this issue?

Like I said, absolutely love this car. I am just hoping I get all the bugs out in the next 10k miles

Old 07-12-2023, 07:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts
Default First timer

This is my first Land Rover and it is a 2020 Defender 110 SE P400, that I love more than any other vehicle I have ever had. It been pretty reliable. Water leak in one of the side radiators, the roof rack has been replaced because of a kid putting it through the car wash at the dealer. I had a daytime driving light go out it was replaced but took 2 months to get one that was in perfect condition. They shipped them “12” at a time loose in a box and had a whole lot of scratches on them. I do have it serviced at the dealer and they always do the updates when available. It is coming up on 37,000 miles now and ti has been great. Will be going to 18’s this month with the caliper swap. Also they did an update to the water hose that was plastic and it was replaced with a metal one. I also had to replace the nutzert for the snorkel as it came out and it was flopping around. But that’s it that I can remember.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 08:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by disco96sd
I'm guessing 75% + are probably leased
Not any more. I strongly considered leasing my 130 as I've leased many other vehicles in the past. But at least for right now, JLR has no interest in really leasing these things as the rates are astronomical. I know rates are high on everything these days, but the rate I was getting on the lease with top teir credit was effectively 12%.

For that much I said ef it and just purchased it. APR on the 60mo loan with a sizeable down payment was 5.89%. Still more than I've ever paid on interest in anything in my life, but it was the best I could find. If rates ever come down I do plan to refi.

ficklma1 (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 07:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Just today, Land Rover sent me an email saying they are offering 3.9% APR financing. I hope that's the case, as my Defender is supposed to arrive in a couple weeks.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by disco96sd
I'm guessing 75% + are probably leased
Originally Posted by Myron
Just today, Land Rover sent me an email saying they are offering 3.9% APR financing. I hope that's the case, as my Defender is supposed to arrive in a couple weeks.
how many months?

Old 07-14-2023, 07:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

48 mos, and the offer is only on the 90. They are offering 4.9% and 48 months on 110's.

Old 11-01-2023, 04:41 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

As an owner of a 25 year old Land Rover and a more recent model year Mercedes, I would answer the OP with regard to the longevity of the Defender 2020 as being short-lived by comparison to past models. Series Land Rovers lasted 50 years and counting. My older Discovery 1 could go another 25 years, but there is some uncertainty about whether it will remain legal in that time frame.

My experience with late model vehicles in the same market segment as current Land Rovers (that is, Mercedes), is that they are designed and built for the initial purchaser who is not likely to keep them for more than the warranty period or even 5 years. A buyer who can afford one, can afford the difference to purchase another new one fairly soon. The idea of keeping it for 25 or 50 years is only a faint notion that is rarely considered practical after very long at all.

The vehicles are designed to be appealing for the initial purchaser -- it doesn't surprise me at all that initial owners experience total freedom from trouble during brief periods of ownership. After 250,000 miles and 30 years, time will tell that the late model vehicles are untenable. Engineering feats that were possible as a result of six-figure (or near there) price tags result in absurd obstacles for longevity. When the complex systems built under these parameters ultimately need replacement because they were not designed to last anywhere near 30 years, the undertaking to replace them will be impractical. Series Land Rovers will go another 50 years without question. Late model ones will never make it to 100. My Discovery 1 will certainly make it to 30 years and possibly 50. After that, I'm doubtful it will be appealing enough to warrant the cost of maintaining it, and regulations are likely to restrict its practical use to nothing meaningful.

Old 11-01-2023, 04:48 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanb
As an owner of a 25 year old Land Rover and a more recent model year Mercedes, I would answer the OP with regard to the longevity of the Defender 2020 as being short-lived by comparison to past models. Series Land Rovers lasted 50 years and counting. My older Discovery 1 could go another 25 years, but there is some uncertainty about whether it will remain legal in that time frame.

My experience with late model vehicles in the same market segment as current Land Rovers (that is, Mercedes), is that they are designed and built for the initial purchaser who is not likely to keep them for more than the warranty period or even 5 years. A buyer who can afford one, can afford the difference to purchase another new one fairly soon. The idea of keeping it for 25 or 50 years is only a faint notion that is rarely considered practical after very long at all.

The vehicles are designed to be appealing for the initial purchaser -- it doesn't surprise me at all that initial owners experience total freedom from trouble during brief periods of ownership. After 250,000 miles and 30 years, time will tell that the late model vehicles are untenable. Engineering feats that were possible as a result of six-figure (or near there) price tags result in absurd obstacles for longevity. When the complex systems built under these parameters ultimately need replacement because they were not designed to last anywhere near 30 years, the undertaking to replace them will be impractical. Series Land Rovers will go another 50 years without question. Late model ones will never make it to 100. My Discovery 1 will certainly make it to 30 years and possibly 50. After that, I'm doubtful it will be appealing enough to warrant the cost of maintaining it, and regulations are likely to restrict its practical use to nothing meaningful.
OP here.

I think you're definitely not wrong about anything you said, but for the general ownership out there, even keeping a vehicle 10-20 years is generally a lot.

I guess that was the time frame I was talking about and should have clarified.

But yeah, all these electronics makes them impractical to repair in the VERY long term.

jusmax88 (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 06:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Not trying to criticize anybody, but IMO the point you guys are missing when critiquing the modern electronics is probably the same people 20 years back made when IFS came to replace the solid axles or when electronic fuel injection replaced the carburetors. 30 or 50 years from now, the industry and technology will have evolved enough to make fixing/replacing these same electronics we now beat on an easy and (relatively) cost-effective thing. It is just the natural course of evolution. Otherwise we would all still be driving old wagons pulled by horses.

The following 3 users liked this post by mrego:
robn (11-02-2023), sacharama (11-02-2023), SpyHop (11-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Honest discussion about longevity