2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest discussion about longevity

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 03:25 PM
Winching
Received 293 Likes on 190 Posts

You mean a clicking or vibration sound from the wind at the back of the door, when the window is open a little, rather than the actual window mechanism making a noise?

l have this same noise, can't work out what's causing it, door seal by the sound of it

Old 11-09-2023, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lightning
You mean a clicking or vibration sound from the wind at the back of the door, when the window is open a little, rather than the actual window mechanism making a noise?

l have this same noise, can't work out what's causing it, door seal by the sound of it
Hey Lightning, how are you, thanks for replying.

so, with either window open from about a 1/4” to upwards of maybe 3”, if you take your fingers and grip the top edge of the window and wiggle it the clicking is replicated. If I wedge my finger tips between the glass and the rubber seal nearest to the little tweeter the clicking stops when driving on bumpy roads.

I haven’t any idea what causes this. It’s not a vibration, it’s a hard clicking noise.

To be honest, I’m WAY WAY more concerned about what’s going on with my air suspension.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:09 PM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrego
This: "Nobody is going to build/sell a brake line that has even a remote chance of failing in a few years or 60,000 miles. The liability would be insane."

No. The liability would NOT be insane if they included that mandatory replacement in the manual/servicing specs. And, lo and behold, LR obviously did.

Now, you may be right and this might have got lost in translation. It is your car and you can gamble/bet with it based on your own experiences, but you know what happens IF something goes south. LR will point you right back to the owners manual.
In any event, it’s very unusual and not typically required on similar vehicles, and there’s absolutely nothing special about the brakes on the Defender. I did a little digging and the most likely rationale I can come up with is JLR mitigating their risk after they spec’d insufficient brake materials for their previous vehicles. That may also explain why the brakes on the Defender seem unnecessarily oversized and the reason we can’t run 18” wheels like every other off road vehicle.

Associated Press
Updated Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:29 PM EST
Land Rover and Jaguar are recalling 104,000 vehicles because of problems with the brakes and lights.

The largest recall involves a brake-hose issue that Jaguar Land Rover North America studied and dismissed, only to reopen after an accident.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued notices on the recalls Friday.

The safety agency said that Jaguar Land Rover North America will recall up to 74,648 Range Rovers because one or both front brake hoses could rupture, causing the loss of braking fluid.

Land Rover dealers will replace the brake hoses for free on the cars, which are model years 2006 through 2012.”

The following users liked this post:
NativeTexan (11-10-2023)
Old 02-11-2024, 02:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrego
Not trying to criticize anybody, but IMO the point you guys are missing when critiquing the modern electronics is probably the same people 20 years back made when IFS came to replace the solid axles or when electronic fuel injection replaced the carburetors. 30 or 50 years from now, the industry and technology will have evolved enough to make fixing/replacing these same electronics we now beat on an easy and (relatively) cost-effective thing. It is just the natural course of evolution. Otherwise we would all still be driving old wagons pulled by horses.
I think the impractical aspect is parts availability. If cars from the ‘90s had three of four modules third parties could step in and make replacements or work arounds. With this beast there are perhaps 100 separate modules, half of which may be mission critical. Will spares be available in 20 years? I have my doubts, but for scavaging wrecks. I slowly becomes a labor of love.

The following users liked this post:
lightning (02-11-2024)