2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Hood Open' error. Anyone had this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 02:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 'Hood Open' error. Anyone had this?

Trying to lock the car and it double beeps twice. Check inside and when the ignition is on, the msg 'Hood Open' pops up on the driver screen (same on my phone app). Check online and it's a common problem on other Land Rovers, and it's a switch under the passenger-side hood catch that's either loose or failed. My car is only a year old.
Tried starting the car and the whole system is saying nothing is available, the steering is locked, can't select any gears, ie undriveable.

So tomorrow morning i'll be doing the reset for the battery that's under the floor just behind the passenger seat - let's see if that works.
If not, it's a flatbed tow to my dealership.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:31 AM
Three Wheeling

Bad news. This morning I removed the black -ve terminal, left it 10mins and re-connected. Same as yesterday: Steering locked, no lights on gear shift, no driving assistances available.

More than undrivable, not sure how recovery are going to get a steeringless and gearless car onto the flatbed.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 612 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Elektrapops
Bad news. This morning I removed the black -ve terminal, left it 10mins and re-connected. Same as yesterday: Steering locked, no lights on gear shift, no driving assistances available.

More than undrivable, not sure how recovery are going to get a steeringless and gearless car onto the flatbed.
See attached...hopefully this helps prevent the tow driver from inflicting more damage.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Defender Recovery Guide.pdf (3.01 MB, 77 views)
Old 07-25-2022, 08:43 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks PaulLR. I'll make sure the recovery know what they're doing. (The dealership say they know how to handle Land Rovers).

Old 07-25-2022, 09:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

PaulLR is right to advise participatory caution. The new Land Rovers have more NANNY guards than the prior generation. I too would be confirming they are following the recovery guidance in real time.

I suffered the same hood latch issue you are having when I failed to connect the hood latch line during my winch install on my Defender. Fortunately, I learned from my LR4 the location and design logic of the Hood latch and could easily fix it.

There are several videos on the PowerfulUK ltd or you tube which show the hood latch fix, if you are into being a self-mechanic.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 07-25-2022 at 09:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 09:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
PaulLR is right to advise participatory caution. The new Land Rovers have more NANNY guards than the prior generation.

I suffered the same hood latch issue you are having when I failed to connect the hood latch line during my winch install on my Defender. Fortunately, I learned from my LR4 the location and design logic of the Hood latch and could easily fix it.

There are several videos on the PowerfulUK ltd or you tube which show the hood latch fix, if you are into being a self-mechanic.
Hi Trio, thanks for that - when you had that same 'hood' fault, did it also lock up the steering wheel and prevent gear selection?

Old 07-25-2022, 09:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The car was stopped and lifted on wood blocks under all four wheels

I seem to recall it did not let me start it until I fixed the beep-beep issue. It was not running, was in park at the time with the parking brake set. Without starting it, I could not shift out of park or take off the parking brake in any case. Or so I recall it.

My hope was I did not by mistake cut the signal wire to the latch -- a little stress for sure. Fortunately, I had only neglected to re-attach it. I do not recall checking the steering lock -- but I have no doubt that is likely the case which you describe.

I continue to find the NANNY requirements to always use the parking brake and not being able to shift out of park without the doors all closed hectoring beyond what I accept. The LR4 generation did not include these points of vehicle disablement.

Good luck with the towing people ....

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 07-25-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:14 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Trio - I'm still waiting for Recovery to arrive, but I'll post once the dealership let me know what's happening.

Ok, recovery arrived: The engine must be running throughout recovery; there's a release under the hood that puts the vehicle in Neutral (see pic below) but also double-check the Park brake is DEFINITELY off, if not the rear wheels are locked, as happened to me just now. Dealership were great walking me thru what to tell the recovery guy who knew a lot, but not enough to get my car on his flatbed.

[Picture shows the lever cable with the yellow label; the lever on the end is shown closed and needs to be opened to 90° and it'll release the wheels into neutral]

Last edited by Elektrapops; 07-25-2022 at 11:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Elektrapops:
PaulLR (07-25-2022), TrioLRowner (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 09:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Dealership called: Apparently, rodents have chewed through a lot of the wiring at the front of the vehicle, including a harness that if replaced might cost upto $20,000. I'm in shock at the moment.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The Defender has been around long enough that some wrecked ones are being parted out. Something to think on when the facts get clarified regarding what is exactly necessary. It might be on ebay .... Hopefully.

Either that or it can be repaired (but not by JLR, I expect).

Quick Reply: 'Hood Open' error. Anyone had this?